Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey, if anyone has any interest in ordering some chicks from Sandhill Preservation, could you PM me?
I'm not going to order a whole box of chicks for just the few I want, but I figure if someone else was thinking about it too, I would go in on an order with them.

I'm interested in getting some polish, Ameraucana, and a few more ducks but I need to fix my damaged coop before I have space for more birds.

The 3-week-olds have been in the coop (with a lamp) for several days now. So far, so good. I know they feather faster when brooded outside, but this is the first time I have done it in the winter! It seems like they have more feathers than the adults!

I'm interested in getting some polish, Ameraucana, and a few more ducks but I need to fix my damaged coop before I have space for more birds.
I assume you are looking for large fowl, not bantams. I should have blue and black Ameraucanas hatching soon. No polish or ducks (yet!). Sandhill has a nice selection of polish chicks (http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html#crested). @Blarneyeggs might have Tolbunt polish later too.

Quote:
I've found that a 2 week age difference between hatches is the most I'm willing to merge. Of course, it all depends on the individual birds. My poor wounded chick on the counter was only a few days difference with the ones that injured her. BTW, she's still doing well.
Well folks:

I have two maybe's in the incubator....they are in lockdown and have survived an eight hour power outage and one of the two lightbulbs burning out (wasn't enough to keep the 100 degrees for a few hours)....fingers crossed!!!

in other news, my baby roo screeched/crowed twice this morning(in the brooder).....they are somewhere around 6-7wks and will be moving to the garage with a heat lamp soon...now all I need is a long stretch of. warm weather???
That's great news!

Quote: Having a coop before the birds? That's an interesting idea. I should try that.

Quote:
Yes. I'm hatching all of the polish eggs...the ones that I find, anyway. LOL

Well folks:

I have two maybe's in the incubator....they are in lockdown and have survived an eight hour power outage and one of the two lightbulbs burning out (wasn't enough to keep the 100 degrees for a few hours)....fingers crossed!!!

in other news, my baby roo screeched/crowed twice this morning(in the brooder).....they are somewhere around 6-7wks and will be moving to the garage with a heat lamp soon...now all I need is a long stretch of. warm weather???
fl.gif
Hope they both hatch well. I heard lower temperature leads to more females?

I cannot wait for warm weather! I have seeds started and really need to extend my garden this year. We also need to finish the coop before chickens become total large.

"Springing in the Chicks"
2016 April Hatch-a-Long

Hosted by Mike & Sally

Qgx7f8FA57W-itPcOYbInU3zyZDKjlF9QcY4fG3boAVmlJQ5qfCoZ3CNQ8H6y4rfONeAfAT8n8IeLK3VyfGKxd_bLks4fRVILpfFRTxxRkjXWlj9lW6HE8gExxqGAPEOXxgkVqWf
Set Eggs ANYTIME in April

EVERYONE is Welcome!

dEFxCqyBDuTydjH_8CJtbSzPVLr96jNH-wDyh7B9jdi2xx9px-YmvdB_fRe6v2V9-DQ83VUpZrPUvAV8hKWhcf6d3dB6DL9Y49FLnnPvtGSu-l3IIzOoezuw52WLvQUr9zM8gShu

NEW COOL CONTESTS!

“Share a Laugh” Random Posting Thread

“Share Helpful BYC TIPS” Random Posting Thread

Chick Mug Shots

Selfies with Fowl

Fowl drawing Contest

Hey, if anyone has any interest in ordering some chicks from Sandhill Preservation, could you PM me?
I'm not going to order a whole box of chicks for just the few I want, but I figure if someone else was thinking about it too, I would go in on an order with them.

Oh gosh, that's extremely tempting! They have Russian Orloffs in Mahogany and Spangled, I've been wanting to work with the breed ever since I picked up an odd hen years ago and LOVED her. Maybe I just have a chicken beard obsession.
Anyways, I did just finally find an Ameraucana breeder still accepting orders, so I'm putting in one for those. The Orloffs might have to wait until next year unfortunately, so I'll keep it in mind if you're interested in making another order next spring! What are you getting, out of curiosity?

The reason I'm considering a Sandhill order is to get an unrelated line of Welsummers that still have very dark eggs. I'm not happy with the hatchability in my current flock and I lose more adults from that breed than all the other combined, some just seem to fail to thrive.
Oh gosh, that's extremely tempting! They have Russian Orloffs in Mahogany and Spangled, I've been wanting to work with the breed ever since I picked up an odd hen years ago and LOVED her. Maybe I just have a chicken beard obsession.
Anyways, I did just finally find an Ameraucana breeder still accepting orders, so I'm putting in one for those. The Orloffs might have to wait until next year unfortunately, so I'll keep it in mind if you're interested in making another order next spring! What are you getting, out of curiosity?
The reason I'm considering a Sandhill order is to get an unrelated line of Welsummers that still have very dark eggs. I'm not happy with the hatchability in my current flock and I lose more adults from that breed than all the other combined, some just seem to fail to thrive. My other (perhaps saner) option is to push ahead with Welbars and keep a smaller flock of Welsummers and accept the problems they have, but I figure if someone else is ever ordering from Sandhill, that would be the time to get a few of their Welsummers to try.

Back
Top Bottom