Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Glad I was not the only one.

Yep, brown leakage.... refers to the color brown or rusty gold showing up in their featering on their shoulders and tops of the wings. It is the result of an outcross done many generations ago by some breeders to improve something with the breed.
It shows more readily in the roosters plumage and is not a desirable trait to pass on so most roosters with it go to backyard flock use only or the pot, but not a breeding pen.

I'm so immature I can't help but laugh I read "brown leakage"....
hide.gif
smack.gif
gig.gif
You are silly.

Glad I was not the only one.

Yep, brown leakage.... refers to the color brown or rusty gold showing up in their featering on their shoulders and tops of the wings. It is the result of an outcross done many generations ago by some breeders to improve something with the breed.
It shows more readily in the roosters plumage and is not a desirable trait to pass on so most roosters with it go to backyard flock use only or the pot, but not a breeding pen.

I know what she meant but I still giggled... :oops:

Ok. I know I'm breaking in but I was wondering about something. Since this is the very active thread with so many intelligent people who know birds so well. Can I feed my chickens whole corn? (Just in the winter before bedtime to help them stay warm) our must it be ground?
I realize this is way behind...we just had our eletric turned back on last night close to 11pm...very bad storm rolled through/ big limb from neighbors year is now in our yard..firewood!!
Corn..we buy 50* bag(s) from a farmer to help the girls out all winter. Plus they have it for "treats" all year. It is crack!!
It is the shelled corn. A good supplier is well worth any trip, it is always dry, smells sweet. We pay 8.00 a bag. small farmer, nice to help out. keep ours in a metal barrel that has a locking lid-no pests.

They're gonna live with hubby 's cousin soon, because we are moving to NY and cannot find a rental place allowing chickens . Their current flock is only 5, our 6 hens are already a big number. If I add several cute chicks in, they will be really upset.

It is too hot for Brownie to sit in nesting box now. I will try to break her by using a large dog crate. If I put in enough food and water, hubby should be able to let her out on Tuesday.
we put our broodies to break in a lrg dog cage.
It is all metal-open...we out a waterer in there and fresh food daily. We ferment, so have to/ But if you use just the pellets or dry stuff, then a nice sized feeder is good. Your husband won't have to deal with much, maybe just fresh water...especially in this heat.
We keep the cage out in the open..under the roof of course. The desire here is not to allow her peace & quiet, no nice dark places to sit and pretend to be momma.
The cage is great for air flow, keeping their bottoms cooled down..they get themselves so heated up!! Makes sense though, they are getting to sit on eggs & keep them warm.
wink.png

It works, just might take a little time, depends on the girl & how long they have been playing.
My uncle, who raised show chicks for decades, told me the only difference between a rock and a wyandotte was the comb, so you should get something like either a rock or wyandotte. I'm not certain hoe the comb inheritance goes with those.
thank you. They are both nice sized birds. Temperaments seems close too. sweet mostly.
Was wondering about those combs...would be interesting for sure, most likely would get a mixed bag, depending on father &mother.

Is there a "in general" when genes are considered...as to the Males over the hens..
Is the over riding genes usually the father, no matter what the breed?, is what i think I am trying to ask...

I guess it helps to know what question I am trying to ask
tongue.png
..i know my father would say that confusion has nothing to do with him!
lol.png

Thank you again...everyone!

LMP, not that I have any zucchini since my 2 plants died, but I would like your faux apple pie recipe. (stupid zuc. I had to BUY some!)

also, the Celtic Classic website is here: http://www.celticfest.org/festival_information
no problem!...our plants had bad squash bug infestation this year. Never had it this bad before, ever.
I will PM recipe.
We went to the community picnic yesterday, wonderful!! There were enough people there considering the heat..surprising.
They had a bounce house, slip& slide..but it wasn't our "oldie, but goodie kind...this was some new crazy blow-up thing that had water sprinkling down on the kids , all enclosed..and they would shoot out the other end! ahhaha, looked like A LOT of FUN!!
wee.gif
, Horse back rides, volley ball net up w/any kind of "net" game gear you can think of. Huge beach balls to play with out in the fields...the kids and parents were having a blast. DH & grand daughter were rolling on the beach balls...so funny. Live music. Of course I took a ton of pics! Oh, and food..lots of food.
I took the Faux pie, it was gone in 15 mins.!!!!! No joke...DH was standing there almost the whole time telling people it wasn't apples..hahahaha
lol.png
, the squash dish was gone quickly also, I pit it down, next thing I know...they were cleaning it out.
smile.png

Feels good, glad I brought 2 dishes.
Thank you for the info, I will check this out!!
Just trying to recover from yesterday, we no sooner got back home and within 20mins, that storm hit, thought there for a little we would have to gog to the basement...that bad.
Lots of debris, all over...power out till real later. We had to get all the items out & ready for the generator...we were about 1/2 hour from turning that thing on. It was close.
We have thermometers in the fridges & freezers, freezers were goo, but the fridges were in the gonna have to do something area. Just glad they got it sorted and back up running.

It was nice, quiet...candles going...no electric vibes & background noise...funny how "sound blind" we become.
Beautiful crickets chirping..nice. Then we turned the AC on..hahahhaa
I am so sorry...you only asked for a recipe...poor girl, I have just word vomited all over ...so sorry
hide.gif

I feel like this is random but why not share...
I am in the process of fermenting my first batch of chicken feed. I've got it in two 5 gallon buckets, one inside the other. I Added water and ACV (with "mother" in it). Later today, I checked on it and it seemed that the feed sucked up a lot of the water. I added more water and dug my hands in to mix it and it was warm down at the bottom of the bucket. It's actually working! So exciting!
awesome!!
Celtic Classic is in my neck of the woods!
frow.gif

She did it again today when I stepped in to change their water! So... I guess... I'm her rooster?
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I'm so immature I can't help but laugh I read "brown leakage"....
hide.gif
smack.gif
duc.gif

I have a some questions about egg storage...

How long does everyone keep their washed & UN washed eggs??

I have read about & seen programs where people have had eggs stored for over a year. They rub-layer of mineral oil over their egg( sealing the shell) & keep cool dry cellar/place. Has anyone ever used this method?...
Just wanted to hear of someone actually having done this from here...not that I don't believe it, but I don't ..ahhahaha..

But I realize that other countries without refrigeration have been storing eggs and such differently for a millennia, without issue...I am just uncertain because of my westernized mind.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom