Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thinking of going to the Grange Fair today. Was it worth the time?

We go every year just to walk around but I don't know who is singing tonight you would have to check there Facebook page or I think they have a website. But ya it's fun going they we watch the tractor pulls, the horse show, we like to look at the campers, and look at the animals, and even just to see what all anyone brings over to sell and things businesses bring I like going but it doesn't mean everyone is going to like it but we had fun.

**desperate, cross posted in emergencies forum**

Help!! I am traveling out of the country for 2 weeks and got the following news from my pet sitter. The day before yesterday, they went to the coop in the morning and found my otherwise healthy one year old buff Orpington hen dead in the coop, no apparent injuries.

This morning they noticed my 8 week old lavender Orpington pullet "sitting in the coop hardly moving. [They] put food right in front of it and it didn't eat. [They] just checked on it now. She's still alive, but not moving."

This is all I know. It also sounds like they aren't too hot, they have free access to food, water, and grit. The hens and pullets are separated from each other in the coop, so they are not sharing food and water, but you have to walk through the hen section to get to the pullet section. I fear there may be an illness in the coop. Any suggestions?

I won't be back home for a week, so I'm trying to figure out what to tell them....

ETA, I have Corid, Duramycin, and electrolytes there that I just ordered to have on hand. Would any of those help? Can I ask them to give them all of those things at the same time in case any of them help?

Last edited:
iᔕ ᗩᑎyoᑎe goiᑎg to tᕼe gᖇᗩᑎge ᖴᗩiᖇ toᗪᗩy?
I went to our Grange fair today in Penns Park, pa. It was awesome! Somgkadmto see they were able to have chickens back again.
A few baby photos to share...
Adorable as always! I'm very jealous! :D
You see this thing here, it's mine..i keep it! :lau
LL
All the littles seem to enjoy climbing on Mindy...and she seems to enjoy the attention.
She sure does!! It's awesome that even Mamas know she is wonderful with chicks!
Oh man I am like a total chicken stalker now... I just went out to check on the girls and Tiny squatted for me yet again, and I got a good look at her vent. It's looking quite wide and ready!
1f605.png
Almost there! It's okay, we all stalk.... :oops:
**desperate, cross posted in emergencies forum** Help!! I am traveling out of the country for 2 weeks and got the following news from my pet sitter. The day before yesterday, they went to the coop in the morning and found my otherwise healthy one year old buff Orpington hen dead in the coop, no apparent injuries. This morning they noticed my 8 week old lavender Orpington pullet "sitting in the coop hardly moving. [They] put food right in front of it and it didn't eat. [They] just checked on it now. She's still alive, but not moving." This is all I know. It also sounds like they aren't too hot, they have free access to food, water, and grit. The hens and pullets are separated from each other in the coop, so they are not sharing food and water, but you have to walk through the hen section to get to the pullet section. I fear there may be an illness in the coop. Any suggestions? I won't be back home for a week, so I'm trying to figure out what to tell them.... ETA, I have Corid, Duramycin, and electrolytes there that I just ordered to have on hand. Would any of those help? Can I ask them to give them all of those things at the same time in case any of them help?
I wish I could help. That must be terrible. Hopefully your Lav Orp gets better and it was just a fluke....:hugs

It's so silly but I relay miss having my chickens in my backyard! I know they dug up all my mulch and out holes in the yard, but it seems so empty out there now. In a few weeks I will have them back... :D

Just wanted to recommend a movie to you all. Temple Grandin. It is about an autistic woman (now professor in Colorado) who worked to make the meat industry more humane and profitable at the same time. She has a remarkable story and really an amazing perspective. She also has some videos on YouTube that show her going through the each step at meat plants, and how well they are regulated and humane.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thanks, Anne and MotorcycleChick.
1f614.png
I just got an email saying that the sad chick is now a dead chick.
1f622.png
1f622.png
I asked them to put Corid in all the water for the whole flock (2 tsp of the 9.6% liquid solution per gallon). I also asked them to put the chick in a plastic bag in the freezer so I can send her for necropsy when I get back next week.

I also asked them to lay off all treats except a little cracked corn for now. I had given a variety of treats (cracked corn, BOSS, dry mealworms, lettuce, dates, yogurt, garden weeds like grass, dandelion, bindweed) and asked them to give a bit to the birds twice a day since they are used to free ranging during the day but they are mostly cooped up for the 2 weeks I'm gone and I didn't want them to get too bored and start picking on each other. I usually give them some treats each day even though they do free range, just because they run up and beg when they see me coming, so the treats themselves aren't new (except the dates--I only gave out a couple of those before I left, and some of the hens seem to like them). But maybe they were too enthusiastic with the treats and the chickens could be getting sour crop? I did ask them to give plenty of grit each day, though, since the hens weren't free ranging.

I just don't know. I feel so awful, and worried about the others, and I wish I were there to manage it.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

Thanks, Anne and MotorcycleChick.
1f614.png
I just got an email saying that the sad chick is now a dead chick.
1f622.png
1f622.png
I asked them to put Corid in all the water for the whole flock (2 tsp of the 9.6% liquid solution per gallon). I also asked them to put the chick in a plastic bag in the freezer so I can send her for necropsy when I get back next week.

I also asked them to lay off all treats except a little cracked corn for now. I had given a variety of treats (cracked corn, BOSS, dry mealworms, lettuce, dates, yogurt, garden weeds like grass, dandelion, bindweed) and asked them to give a bit to the birds twice a day since they are used to free ranging during the day but they are mostly cooped up for the 2 weeks I'm gone and I didn't want them to get too bored and start picking on each other. I usually give them some treats each day even though they do free range, just because they run up and beg when they see me coming, so the treats themselves aren't new (except the dates--I only gave out a couple of those before I left, and some of the hens seem to like them). But maybe they were too enthusiastic with the treats and the chickens could be getting sour crop? I did ask them to give plenty of grit each day, though, since the hens weren't free ranging.

I just don't know. I feel so awful, and worried about the others, and I wish I were there to manage it.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

Oh, I am so sorry! When ever I am worried about my girls I put out a lasagna pan with their pellets/crumbles in it soaked in water. They love it and I think being full boosts their immune systems and they get some extra fluid that way too on these hot days...

Back
Top Bottom