Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My one turkey is still wheezing as when I got her a month ago. What antibiotics can I try giving her? She looks and sounds particularly pathetic today. Any ideas? I hate to see her suffer, if there is something I can try.

Edited to add: Rusty Shackleford makes a cameo in the first few seconds... Haha.
Tractor supply has both Oxytetracycline and Tylosine (Tylan). The Oxytet is cheaper and easier because you just add it to the water. The name on their website is Oxytetracycline HCl Soluble Powder, 6.4oz

The Tylan they sell is injectable, but I have used it for oral dosing.

Tractor supply has both Oxytetracycline and Tylosine (Tylan). The Oxytet is cheaper and easier because you just add it to the water. The name on their website is Oxytetracycline HCl Soluble Powder, 6.4oz

The Tylan they sell is injectable, but I have used it for oral dosing.
I noticed that they are not able to sell the cheap one after this year, but the more expensive options, Tylosine and Tetramycin are not similarly affected. I'm sure the makers of the more expensive drugs would not be using any untoward influence to keep theirs on the market.

Can antibiotics be bought at Tractor Supply?? I called our local and the girls said she didnt think so, but she also didnt seem to know too much.,,,so......

Our turkey has droopy wings and seems weak and I am pretty worried about her. Thinking maybe deworming and antibiotics may be a good idea? If not Tractor supply, does anyone know where to get any?

My understanding is that antibiotics can be bought at any farm outlet til the end of the year, then you will need a vet prescription...I checked the Parksburg TSC and they were out of stock...

My understanding is that antibiotics can be bought at any farm outlet til the end of the year, then you will need a vet prescription...I checked the Parksburg TSC and they were out of stock...
Jeffers usually has a good stock. I plan to grab some more antibiotics before year's end and stockpile it in the freezer. After that is gone, I will look into fish tank medication, that stuff is poorly regulated because the industry has substantial political clout and no one is that worried about a few Amoxyl pills getting loose via the sewage system. It's too expensive for commercial purchase and use, but fine for the little we need.

They are really trying to shutdown the overuse of antibiotics in livestock feed, but all this will do is make them switch to other (still legal) drugs or formulations. Instead, they should simply outlaw the use of any antibiotics in any animal feed. But that would kill the economics of the broiler and turkey industries because they would have to provide better care to avoid massive losses due to disease. We all know you can raise any of those without antibiotics if you provide good conditions (plenty of room and ventilation, clean water and dry bedding that gets changed as needed). Also, the companies manufacturing the antibiotics make a lot too, I bet their political clout is being heard by the regulators.

One of my oldest black australorps is not doing well this morning. We had planned to 'retire' them to freezer camp at the end of this season but it looks like she beat us to it. She's 4-5 years old and I'm just going to put her out of her misery. I have a question though, is there any reason not to send her to freezer camp at this point?

One of my oldest black australorps is not doing well this morning. We had planned to 'retire' them to freezer camp at the end of this season but it looks like she beat us to it. She's 4-5 years old and I'm just going to put her out of her misery. I have a question though, is there any reason not to send her to freezer camp at this point?

Unless she has an odd communicable disease I wouldn't see any problem. Failure due to age may reduce her body weight but otherwise I would use her.

GM all:

Well:

I free ranged the entire crew yesterday, a week after I re-organized the marans to coop #2 and the baby girls to coop#1....well they reversed that last night....so, I moved my three in the brooder to coop#2 this am....they took to eachother very well....and the young girl who I suspected to be blind isn't....I moved the feeder and waterer from the brooder to the pen and she ran right to the waterer....so at least for now all is well...

PS: No signs of any foxes either....the day after I put the hardware cloth in place I saw him in the backyard, but not since and its been near a month.....

GM all:

Well:

I free ranged the entire crew yesterday, a week after I re-organized the marans to coop #2 and the baby girls to coop#1....well they reversed that last night....so, I moved my three in the brooder to coop#2 this am....they took to eachother very well....and the young girl who I suspected to be blind isn't....I moved the feeder and waterer from the brooder to the pen and she ran right to the waterer....so at least for now all is well...

PS: No signs of any foxes either....the day after I put the hardware cloth in place I saw him in the backyard, but not since and its been near a month.....

Glad to hear they are adjusting well, great news on her vision and even better that the fox has given you a break...hopefully long term!

Back
Top Bottom