Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So photo bombing time... Brownie and her chicks are out and about, it is hard to walk through the yard without being mobbed by them...and Mindy enjoys having the littles to watch. DH snapped these pictures last evening when out with them

The one little one ran up to him thinking he was holding treats, saw it was just a silly camera so then headed back to mama but still kept peeking to make sure no treats were being missed.

So photo bombing time... Brownie and her chicks are out and about, it is hard to walk through the yard without being mobbed by them...and Mindy enjoys having the littles to watch. DH snapped these pictures last evening when out with them

The one little one ran up to him thinking he was holding treats, saw it was just a silly camera so then headed back to mama but still kept peeking to make sure no treats were being missed.

Aww! They look great! And oh so cute ;)

The two SPR eggs that developed are in lockdown now. I'm hopeful :)

Last edited:
Okay I need help... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My GLW chick is still having labored breathing. Looks like it is gasping for air and smacking it's lips (beak). Makes gurgly/snoring noises. Sneezes. Crop is full. Normal poops. Drinking/eating okay. Behaving okay, pretty spunky actually.

I gave it a tiny drop of Tylan twice today. Gave it VetRx last night & this am. ACV is in the waterer. It's in a brooder with pine shavings. Was in a barn with other chicks & chickens (in adjacent pens), until I picked them up Sunday.

Do I just keep up the regiment & wait it out, like a cold?

I read several threads with similar issues but I guess just wanted my folks' opinion...

Hate watching this...
1f614.png

I do not like to give Tylan orally. I prefer the intramuscular injections. They are far more effective, in my experience. I worry about aspiration when anything is pushed into the back of the throat ... if it isn't just put to the beak or given by tube introduced into the stomach. However, these are tiny chicks.

. I used insulin needles for my bantams. The chick I treated last year was 6 wks old - Silkie/Cochin mix. She was really bad... a couple of doses and she was bouncing back. I know nothing about Vetrx. But be careful not to overmedicate. ACV is always a good addition.
Also, warmth! Loved the heat plate for this...
There is a forum about chicken illness. You will probably find more there.

Last edited:
I do not like to give Tylan orally. I prefer the intramuscular injections. They are far more effective, in my experience. I worry about aspiration when anything is pushed into the back of the throat ... if it isn't just put to the beak or given by tube introduced into the stomach. However, these are tiny chicks.

. I used insulin needles for my bantams. The chick I treated last year was 6 wks old - Silkie/Cochin mix. She was really bad... a couple of doses and she was bouncing back. I know nothing about Vetrx. But be careful not to overmedicate. ACV is always a good addition.
Also, warmth! Loved the heat plate for this...
There is a forum about chicken illness. You will probably find more there.

@Annjee Thank you for taking the time to advise.

I read several threads before and after I posted, and was worried about necropsy with injection (something I've never done before) so I have been doing tiny drops alongside the beak twice a day. The VetRx is like Vick's for chickens - I only do that at bedtime and in the morning.

I had NutriDrench in their water the first day I had them home (Monday) but then was worried about it's crop being overfull, so switched to 1 tsp of ACV in the chick waterer.

I have a lamp in the brooder and it sleeps just outside of it's radius, so I assume it is warm enough...

Like I said, they had been in a barn for maybe a week before I picked them up...

What kind of bird is Brownie? Shes beautiful and I have her twin lol.

What kind of bird is Brownie? Shes beautiful and I have her twin lol.

She is a mutt, most likely the daughter of an EE hen or rooster with her fluffy cheeks and beard. She lays brown eggs and is 5 years old. We got her as a chick from a school hatching project and no background was available on the egg source.
Your hen does certainly look like her!

She is a mutt, most likely the daughter of an EE hen or rooster with her fluffy cheeks and beard. She lays brown eggs and is 5 years old. We got her as a chick from a school hatching project and no background was available on the egg source.
Your hen does certainly look like her!

I was told Beardo here is an EE. Apparently she lays pinkish eggs but after almost a month I haven't gotten any but she was having a hard time merging with my flock. Getting better now that everyone is free ranging and my Rooster Oliver has taken a liking to her, although I don't think the feelings mutual lol.

Back
Top Bottom