Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

:lol:My little Roosters are getting so noisy, but I would still like them to get a bit bigger so we can butcher them. My husband is ready to get rid of me though, so we compromised. I constructed this little coop out of a shipping crate to put them in at night. It faces the woods, so the sounds is not so bad. However, hubby said they still woke him up this morning. I am considering leaving them out at night and letting nature take its course...

WP_20170826_18_21_16_Pro.jpg

I picked up some adult Bielefelder girls yesterday from @dheltzel. At dusk, the girls must have knocked the table aside from their day pen. I found them all in a ball like this when I went to put them in the coop. Silly girls! When I had them in the coop, apparently I didn't close the dog crate well enough. They were quickly hopping out and onto the roosts. I guess that's are integrated now! Haha. A few squabbles this morning, but nothing unusual.

WP_20170826_20_03_53_Pro.jpg

@dheltzel, check out the spurs on this girl! Is she my new transgender chicken? :confused: :lol:

WP_20170826_20_21_37_Pro.jpg

I picked up my bumblefoot girl yesterday to check her healing on her foot. It was clear there was no infection or swelling left, but she still had a large scab from the surgery. I gave it a little pull and this whole kernel came right out! It was the last of the infection that her body was trying to push out. I'm sure she was have a normal foot in three days now.

WP_20170826_19_16_40_Pro.jpg

Give a SHOUT!!
ya.gif

list
----------
Tonini3059
Scoop
Howipinchapenny
SunAngel
ChickyLuara
Kbarret
dirtybug
Whenchickensdream
Cjexotic
Buugette
Bwhite28
Azulegg
19hhbelgian
Jennh
Joerobscatfarm
Redsullivan
Gallorojo
QuailHollowP&P
RhodeRunner
QuailQT
Azuiechicken
Captianmoose
Bantam Bodon
Lovemyfeatheredfriends
Brandibaby23
1/2DozenWings
Happymedium
FLF
Chaugg
Murano Farms
Jeni51
Stina
Zaylinda
Duckncover
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
Northampton

:lol:My little Roosters are getting so noisy, but I would still like them to get a bit bigger so we can butcher them. My husband is ready to get rid of me though, so we compromised. I constructed this little coop out of a shipping crate to put them in at night. It faces the woods, so the sounds is not so bad. However, hubby said they still woke him up this morning. I am considering leaving them out at night and letting nature take its course...

View attachment 1122173

I picked up some adult Bielefelder girls yesterday from @dheltzel. At dusk, the girls must have knocked the table aside from their day pen. I found them all in a ball like this when I went to put them in the coop. Silly girls! When I had them in the coop, apparently I didn't close the dog crate well enough. They were quickly hopping out and onto the roosts. I guess that's are integrated now! Haha. A few squabbles this morning, but nothing unusual.

View attachment 1122174

@dheltzel, check out the spurs on this girl! Is she my new transgender chicken? :confused: :lol:

View attachment 1122175

I picked up my bumblefoot girl yesterday to check her healing on her foot. It was clear there was no infection or swelling left, but she still had a large scab from the surgery. I gave it a little pull and this whole kernel came right out! It was the last of the infection that her body was trying to push out. I'm sure she was have a normal foot in three days now.

I like the little hutch for the boys...FWIW...my opinion on extra roos... as unpleasant as the task is I feel an owner should process them rather than let them fend for themselves. I would much rather know they went in a quick and humane fashion rather than in an attack by a predator which may only injure them and then cause a much slower death if they manage to escape... Or have them succumb to poor nutrition or exposure. If we made the decision to hatch them then we should take the responsibility to dispatch them also.

View attachment 1121725

oooh! came home to a new layer today and it's Chikaletta our White Minorca from @dheltzel. She's been in and out of the nesting boxes for the past few days so we knew it was coming soon. 23 weeks old.

The same age BLRW isn't showing signs of laying yet.

Thanks again Dennis
Glad you like her! The Mediterranean breeds (and those based on them), like Minorcas. Leghorns, California Greys, Legbars, etc, always seem to come into lay earlier than most, and they tend to be more consistent layers, in my experience.
The BLRW is hoping you find her so pretty that you forgive her tardiness in starting to lay. On the plus side, she might lay for more years than Chikaletta.

Backyard chickens increasing in popularity still. Job security for @dheltzel & @Auroradream26 !

http://www.latimes.com/style/pets/la-hm-pets-chickens-20170827-story.html
Still gonna keep my day job . . .

The huge, and growing, popularity of chickens is certainly born out by my experience. I have 2 retail outlets selling my chicks now and am going to keep my focus on rare and fun breeds that are next to impossible to get from TSC or commercial hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom