Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So, last weekend, I was having a lot of trouble keeping my ameraucanas in their seperation pen where I had put them (in with the turkeys) and I couldn't figure out how pretty much all of them kept getting out, even with clipped wings. So I made the switch and put the Marans in with the turkeys and the ameraucanas in their own pen. 5 minutes layer, the Marans hens were out. More clipped wings later, I found the small gap in the fence that everyone was sneaking out through :th. There was absolutely no reason for me to clip everyone's wings and switch everyone around. Oh well, everyone is staying where they are now lol. The Marans have made peace with the turkeys and have finally figured out that they're now sleeping in the turkey coop at night. Peace has returned amongst ask chickens and turkeys. Of course, now there's duck drama :barnie Cosmo (drake) has decided that he is in love with his daughter, Quackers. He must like the nice young ones because they've kicked Ebony (1 1/2 year old) out of their happy little family now. She looks so depressed and lonely now. I feel bad for her but don't know what to do to cheer her up. Why can't the entire flock be at peace all at once? :he

Home sick today as I lost my voice. Got to take some pics in the yard

C4368438-5D90-4E31-BDCF-717720764C0E.jpeg

Raven in the back. Mo in the front with the mini crest. Both are now laying. Although there is confusion with Raven I’ve seen her in box several times and got a brown egg. She is supposed to be an olive Egger. She hatched from an olive egg. Her, Mo and Goldilocks

FB658441-386E-447E-B168-F91B3B7AA72F.jpeg

Whatcha have for me?!

5F686E59-41B8-4744-B1C9-CC9BFE70508E.jpeg

The black girl, Goldilocks, above has not started to lay yet. The RIR is half free loader. She fails as a production bird. Lol

318BA772-5BF4-41EE-B3B1-96C141D6160C.jpeg

I’ve decided to name her “Pretty”

288962EE-B2EF-4F54-95D1-792D8CD6D84F.jpeg

The dark egg is Mo’s. Then Pretty’s is next. The two other green eggs are from Spider Girl, the EE. I’m almost certain the brown egg next to Mo’s is Ravens. I didn’t collect it today but all the other brown layers lay much bigger eggs...I wasn’t planning on taking this pic so I haven’t been keeping track of where I put the eggs in the carton.

Last matter on the agenda:

My 10 year old is getting involved with our 4h fair. For Christmas, we are allowing her to have her own mini flock of bantams (maybe 4 - it was on the plan anyway, so our bantam roo had some ladies). Does anyone local hatch them or sell eggs? Where can I get started?

What club are you joining? A lot of clubs with established members might be able to help you out with some birds to start with but it might be a tad difficult to find some in the off season on such short notice. In the mean time, best to let her do research and choose a breed and variety that she likes :) she'll have more success finding a good breeder and focusing on showing and improving one kind of bird. I highly recommend solid colored varieties as opposed to patterned varieties (less things they can be faulted for, solid colors almost always take show wins) but the key is starting with refined stock from a breeder who's selecting for show confirmation

Hi, I have two ancona ducks, or well I guess had two. Yesterday my crested drake was taken from my yard and all that was left was a clump of his feathers. I feel like a horrible duck owner, but my poor girl left alone needs a companion and I was wondering if there is anyone in PA selling or giving away ducks. I would prefer a female, and an ancona would be best but really anything would be better than her being alone

Attachments

• IMG_5248.JPG
    IMG_5248.JPG
    773.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi, I have two ancona ducks, or well I guess had two. Yesterday my crested drake was taken from my yard and all that was left was a clump of his feathers. I feel like a horrible duck owner, but my poor girl left alone needs a companion and I was wondering if there is anyone in PA selling or giving away ducks. I would prefer a female, and an ancona would be best but really anything would be better than her being alone
Depends on where you are in the state, like county wise, since some of us are rather spread out.

I found a farm near Cincinnati that has them for sale.
Do you have contact info? The ones I did got form Sand Hill have a lot of variability in pattern and lay light brown eggs. If someone has been working on them for a few years, that could save me a lot of work, and reward them for their efforts if I buy from them.

Anne if you need more layers I actually have 4 girls that are laying like crazy right now (I have a light for them cause it's cold outside) that I'm wanting to rehome/sell in order to make room for my show stock. They're 4 golden wyandottes, they lay really well and they're really sweet. Also great in the cold cause fluff. I just have to try and see which one of my birds is laying the double yolks because if it's one of the golden girls I want to make sure I at least keep her.

Thanks, but unless you are really stuck , I shouldn’t add more right now. I just picked up 3 free hens today and I have a broody sitting on leghorn eggs. I appreciate the offer though!

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/d/ducklings-barred-muscovy/6383247356.html

Here is an ad for some locally, hopefully you can find some. I just picked up two Muscovy today, but they are promised to a friend.

Back
Top Bottom