Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anne if you need more layers I actually have 4 girls that are laying like crazy right now (I have a light for them cause it's cold outside) that I'm wanting to rehome/sell in order to make room for my show stock. They're 4 golden wyandottes, they lay really well and they're really sweet. Also great in the cold cause fluff. I just have to try and see which one of my birds is laying the double yolks because if it's one of the golden girls I want to make sure I at least keep her.
Gold laced? Any pictures? No one is laying at my house.....

No one?!?! I’m definitely glad I have some sex links. We are getting around 6-8 a day right now from 11 hens and 5 pullets. Two pullets haven’t laid yet ( one is a CCL)and my Black sex link is molting bad. My CL hen quit for the winter. So really there are 14 laying.

I was only getting maybe 1 or 2 eggs a day from the 45 hens I had about a month ago. I'm so glad that's over. A few of the young girls have picked it up and are giving me about 5-7 eggs a day now. I'm still waiting on some pullets to start and the older ladies to pick it up again.

No one has laid for me since September. :rantMy five survivors of the Poodle Attack of September 2017 look all well and happy, but I am wondering if they will ever lay again. The wounded one (Iris--a partridge English Orpington) has totally healed (thanks to blue coat and her lovely apron)and re-feathered and she has decided that she shall be the new head hen. :bow
I got a 5 new English orps to add cuddle and cute to the flock, but they aren't old enough to lay yet.
I do have one sick hen--I thought it was wry neck, but now am wondering if it was botulism. She is MUCH better, but still indoors and not eating on her own. She is in a box in my son't room--he is helping me tube feed her. She is holding her head up and looking alert, but won't even try to hop out of the box. I think I may diaper her.:oops:

No one has laid for me since September. :rantMy five survivors of the Poodle Attack of September 2017 look all well and happy, but I am wondering if they will ever lay again. The wounded one (Iris--a partridge English Orpington) has totally healed (thanks to blue coat and her lovely apron)and re-feathered and she has decided that she shall be the new head hen. :bow
I got a 5 new English orps to add cuddle and cute to the flock, but they aren't old enough to lay yet.
I do have one sick hen--I thought it was wry neck, but now am wondering if it was botulism. She is MUCH better, but still indoors and not eating on her own. She is in a box in my son't room--he is helping me tube feed her. She is holding her head up and looking alert, but won't even try to hop out of the box. I think I may diaper her.:oops:

I’m pretty sure I lost one to botulism last fall and the previous fall. It was disappointing. I wonder if my CCL had it this summer before I accidentally drowned her.

My Red sex links really hold down the fort with laying. They had dropped off a bit with molting but have geared back up. I wouldn’t say they are at summer production but they are definitely laying. I feel like winter is the only time my EE lays. She wants to be broody all spring and summer. :rolleyes:

My 2 big Wyandotte cross girls have been laying pretty well too. I’m pretty sure that one of them was the culprit of soft smushed eggs for the last like 3 months. That was super frustrating. Their eggs are huge!! Sometimes I feel like they barely fit in the jumbo egg containers!!

I’m still torn about maybe adding one or two leghorns or EE. I’m still sad that the little Sapphire died. Her CL pullet sister is kind of lonely. They were buddies and the smallest of the hatchlings. They both came out of smaller pullet eggs. I hope she makes another friends soon and starts to lay.

601BCC44-9BF5-4DC3-9B92-23D02D383450.png

9D31E01B-2E1E-4210-988E-E7C88050F422.png

I can get you some better pictures in the morning. Was planning on selling them cause I need to make space but they lay like champs for me.

It's interesting to hear about how everybody's laying is going. It sounds like it's good to have a few red sex links in flock to make sure there are eggs for breakfast through winter.
Here's how our flock is doing:

Buff Orpington - About 4 a week
New Hamp Red - About 5 a week
Ameraucana - About 6 a week
White Minorca - About 6 a week
BLRW - About 5 a week
Blue Orpington - moulting
Welbar - moulting
Wheaten Marans - 23wks old, happy in a sling eating vitamins

Our township (Willistown, PA) has a meeting this week to make laws stricter on livestock. The change would restrict us to 4 hens. Any existing livestock numbers can be maintained, but not replaced so we wouldn't have to cull to comply. It's disappointing that a few people who are worried about neighbours causing noise and smell could be forcing backyard chicken keepers back to the supermarket to pay for eggs. We currently use about a 50lb bag per month and get about 100 eggs, so about $1.50 for 12 eggs.

I'll be attending the meeting on Monday the 11th Dec at Sugartown Elementary School at 7pm.

It is a shame to see tighter restrictions being pushed, but unfortunately it only takes one or two problem people on either side of the debate to cause problems. Responsible flock owners learn their local rules and remain in compliance to avoid giving ammo to the non-animal side, but we all know there are folks who don't and it just gives the other side more evidence for their BS. Many of the non-animal folks would find a reason to complain no matter what but sometimes they have cause.
I agree with MCC though...don't move into a farming community and then complain there are farms...it comes with the territory (literally, lol)

Back
Top Bottom