Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

35048B8D-C925-4D95-B4CB-E417EE7707C7.jpeg
Folks, I really need your prayers today. I let my chickens out this morning and found my blue Cochin, Meggido, under their ramp in the mud, barely conscious. There’s not a wound on her, but she just seems to weigh almost nothing. She’s so feathery, I have no idea when she began losing weight. Her crop is completely empty, I can’t even find it, and it is usually pendulous. I brought her inside and bathed the mud off of her, and am drying her on my lap in front of a heat fan. She is in a deep sleep, I have no idea what is wrong with her. She had some spasms and her legs stiffened, then let go. Her sister Luna died when they were about 15-16 weeks old from a sudden seizure, but Meggido has never shown any sign of neurological dysfunction that I could recognize. She has a bad shell gland and can’t lay eggs very well, she managed one a few days ago and it was her first in months (been treating with Caltrate). She has been attacked paranormally before, and has struggled with demonic influence. Don’t make fun of me if you don’t believe it. When Jesus is as much a part of your life as He is in ours, you suffer for it in many ways. Demonic activity is part of our lives, and I live in constant prayer that Jesus will end our affliction and bring us peace. Please pray for us! We are a family, His family, and I don’t want to lose her!:hugs

View attachment 1990568 Folks, I really need your prayers today. I let my chickens out this morning and found my blue Cochin, Meggido, under their ramp in the mud, barely conscious. There’s not a wound on her, but she just seems to weigh almost nothing. She’s so feathery, I have no idea when she began losing weight. Her crop is completely empty, I can’t even find it, and it is usually pendulous. I brought her inside and bathed the mud off of her, and am drying her on my lap in front of a heat fan. She is in a deep sleep, I have no idea what is wrong with her. She had some spasms and her legs stiffened, then let go. Her sister Luna died when they were about 15-16 weeks old from a sudden seizure, but Meggido has never shown any sign of neurological dysfunction that I could recognize. She has a bad shell gland and can’t lay eggs very well, she managed one a few days ago and it was her first in months (been treating with Caltrate). She has been attacked paranormally before, and has struggled with demonic influence. Don’t make fun of me if you don’t believe it. When Jesus is as much a part of your life as He is in ours, you suffer for it in many ways. Demonic activity is part of our lives, and I live in constant prayer that Jesus will end our affliction and bring us peace. Please pray for us! We are a family, His family, and I don’t want to lose her!:hugs

Poor Meggido. Prayers for her.

View attachment 1990568 Folks, I really need your prayers today. I let my chickens out this morning and found my blue Cochin, Meggido, under their ramp in the mud, barely conscious. There’s not a wound on her, but she just seems to weigh almost nothing. She’s so feathery, I have no idea when she began losing weight. Her crop is completely empty, I can’t even find it, and it is usually pendulous. I brought her inside and bathed the mud off of her, and am drying her on my lap in front of a heat fan. She is in a deep sleep, I have no idea what is wrong with her. She had some spasms and her legs stiffened, then let go. Her sister Luna died when they were about 15-16 weeks old from a sudden seizure, but Meggido has never shown any sign of neurological dysfunction that I could recognize. She has a bad shell gland and can’t lay eggs very well, she managed one a few days ago and it was her first in months (been treating with Caltrate). She has been attacked paranormally before, and has struggled with demonic influence. Don’t make fun of me if you don’t believe it. When Jesus is as much a part of your life as He is in ours, you suffer for it in many ways. Demonic activity is part of our lives, and I live in constant prayer that Jesus will end our affliction and bring us peace. Please pray for us! We are a family, His family, and I don’t want to lose her!:hugs

It may be a very late sign of a coccidosis condition. We have rarely had success treating birds we don't catch early. Extreme weight loss means they haven't been absorbing enough nutrition for a while. They hide it for a long time until they are so weak from the malnutrition they cant go on. The spasms or seizures you see are a muscle reaction during the death process, probably not the cause of death itself.

Edit to add.... treatment first and foremost is nutrition, weak birds don't want to eat, and it may too late anyway... but tube feeding is what we do here. A mix of baby food, raw egg, pulverized hen food (mixed with water to make a thin slurry), a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt and 1 or 2 cc of Nutridrench. Quantities of each item may vary. Pull it up in a 50cc syringe via a long tube and the tube feed the bird. I try for 40-45 cc every 3 hours for birds over 3 lbs, obviously less for younger birds. Times between feedings vary depending on birds ability to process food, they can be fed again any time the crop is empty again.

Last edited:
I’m a new member from about a half hour south of Altoona near Roaring Spring.

I didn't realize that you were so close! I probably just forgot :oops:

@fisherlady got you first and gave you all the best advice that can be offered right now. It's so hard to suddenly find them in such poor shape. It happens to all of us at some point :( Just keep her warm and comfortable while you attempt to get some food in her.

Back
Top Bottom