Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

This is what I used this past spring. I plan on making a larger brooder that will be around 2ft wide x 2ft tall by 8 ft long. will have two doors on top. one solide and then hardware cloth on the other. Holes on the sides where the door will be solid. Maybe even a fan with filtration.
Wow!! Yer hired! This brooder sounds perfect. One of the mistakes I made with an earlier brooder is that I built it 4 x 4. Too wide for me to reach across and catch chicks, I had to have one of the kids 'push' them toward me, pretty inconvenient.
Lisa: You can get a 8"diameter reflector work light at HD for about $8....the lamps can be had at pickering Valley feed for about $17...(I think the lamps are cheaper at pet stores)...also make sure you don't buy a lamp wattage greater than what the work light will support....
Stake makes a great point here about the work light ratings... safety is a major factor when dealing with heat lamps!
X2, breaks my heart reading the stories about people burning down their outbuildings with a water heater or heat lamp. I lost a favorite chook yesterday, she was our 'shoulder bird', preferring to roost on my shoulder when I came to collect eggs. Just breaks yer heart. I'm glad I can come in here and get a smile. Picturing Wing converting a Mormon is priceless, and Danielle....pictures of DH's backside? Too funny.

I lost a favorite chook yesterday, she was our 'shoulder bird', preferring to roost on my shoulder when I came to collect eggs. Just breaks yer heart. I'm glad I can come in here and get a smile. Picturing Wing converting a Mormon is priceless, and Danielle....pictures of DH's backside? Too funny.

So sorry to hear about your hen
hugs.gif

Wow!! Yer hired! This brooder sounds perfect. One of the mistakes I made with an earlier brooder is that I built it 4 x 4. Too wide for me to reach across and catch chicks, I had to have one of the kids 'push' them toward me, pretty inconvenient.
X2, breaks my heart reading the stories about people burning down their outbuildings with a water heater or heat lamp.

I lost a favorite chook yesterday, she was our 'shoulder bird', preferring to roost on my shoulder when I came to collect eggs. Just breaks yer heart. I'm glad I can come in here and get a smile. Picturing Wing converting a Mormon is priceless, and Danielle....pictures of DH's backside? Too funny.

B:

So sorry to hear about your fav....

Brandy, I don't see anything wrong. Telly us what you see & maybe we can help.

Wing: All I have laying right now are rouens. Probably pure but mules possible because they are penned with the scovies while we get ready to move. Think I have aprox 18 eggs out there from the last week & a half. Have not checked fertility. They are young. I can set a batch if you want them but you will need to take any that hatch. I don' t do ducklings in winter. Tons of rainbow eggs available.

2 EE roos & a cream legbar boy coveribg assorted hens, no 2 hens the same.
She has this purple/blueish swollen ear. It just happened but none of my other girls have it. Some else mentioned "favus" but none of my hens are sick or even this one. It's like the size of a grape.

danielle, do you have a recipe for a lasagna type meal with tofu instead of meat...

and all others, I am thinking of thinning out the layers for winter,,,i have old hens and many more roosters than needed, no freezer space....I do have a pressure canner but have never used it.......how do I go about this, would like to so the stock and fat also......could someone send me details or even a link that shows step by step

Back
Top Bottom