Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Lisa, you were asking about the leeks..and your hens eating them. Leeks are like onions..strong flavor that could alter the taste of the eggs they lay...maybe want to reconsider giving those to them...or if you want already flavored eggs...then by all means...people who also give flax seeds to their layers also report of a "taste" if given too many. They can eat them..in appropriate amounts if you don't want altered flavor.

I am really curious with the kidney beans....I am wondering if you could take the dried ones in the bags and plant them..or maybe they have done too much to them and they won't....definately keep me posted on those would you Lisa?...very curious!!

Sorry for the double post, my phone wasn't allowing to quote.

Hi ladies, a few days ago I decided to make soup using a bag of16 beans. I soak it. I ended up only using half the bag and left the other half to make another day. The beans that were still soaking did sprout. Hope this answers your question.

Sorry for the double post, my phone wasn't allowing to quote.

Hi ladies, a few days ago I decided to make soup using a bag of16 beans. I soak it. I ended up only using half the bag and left the other half to make another day. The beans that were still soaking did sprout. Hope this answers your question.
okay ...they will at least sprout then....hahaha...now I am going to have to try this....I can't the not knowing...

oh..sorry..Thank you cuckoos
big_smile.png

How much do you think he weighs at 6-7 months? Would you happen to know the hens weight also?....Hubby is now leaning towards the BB's because of the "white meat" factor...I wanted something a bit more colorful in the yard, but really ..he is the one eating so....

Oh goodness, I don't know. I do know he really grew alot since I had gotten him which has only been 4 weeks. If I had to guess on him, I would say 15 or more pounds? My one girl is big and feels very close in weight to the tom at this point and the bossiest girl is tiny and can't be much over 10 lbs. The hens are 8 to 9 months old right now. When I had researched info on the Narri's when I got the girls, it says toms weigh 22-28 pounds and hens weigh 12-16 pounds.

Anyone have the map link for PA BYCers? I have a young man that is really into his chickens and is on the FB groups with alot of us, name is Jeremy, Great kid, anyway he is asking around for banty eggs of any sort. He has a broody. I have offered to ship him some for free but I cant do that until the weather breaks, so if anyone close can spare a few tinies I am CERTAIN he would be more than thrilled.

This is his area

Quote:

Facebook post is in the PA Livestock, Farm, Garden and Pet Classifieds group

Last edited:
I live in Macon for 2 years, but traveled to Atlanta often, and other cities like Savannah, Charleston, and Greenville occasionally. I loved all the places and I would like to move back too someday.

That wasn't too far from Thomaston. I had a hard time finding work down there and had to come back up here. I started looking at possible jobs down that way again.

Oh goodness, I don't know. I do know he really grew alot since I had gotten him which has only been 4 weeks. If I had to guess on him, I would say 15 or more pounds? My one girl is big and feels very close in weight to the tom at this point and the bossiest girl is tiny and can't be much over 10 lbs. The hens are 8 to 9 months old right now. When I had researched info on the Narri's when I got the girls, it says toms weigh 22-28 pounds and hens weigh 12-16 pounds.
Thank you for the guesstimates
thumbsup.gif
.. I like the look of the Narri's too, but of course there is more to raising them than looks so..I lose..haha, We really do not want to 'over-winter' turkeys, at least not for our first attempt. So...will probably be the BB's...unless something else presents itself.

If you can help me find a RP tom, I'll try to get some Mottled Blacks hatched and you'll be first on the list!
I found a royal palm tom in Lancaster! They are going to keep him for me until I'm ready to put him with the "girls". I'm excited
wee.gif

My momma always told me not to count my chicks before they are hatched, but if anyone is interested in either Royal Palm or Black Mottled poults, let me know. Neither of these are breeds known for large meaty birds, they are more ornamental.

I love to study genetics and I find it fascinating that these 2 breeds are literally only a "half gene" apart, but look like photo negatives of each other (one white with black markings, the other black with white markings). The black mottleds have a single black gene, which they pass on to only half their progeny. The ones that get it look mostly black, the others are royal palms (which breed true).

I found a royal palm tom in Lancaster! They are going to keep him for me until I'm ready to put him with the "girls". I'm excited
wee.gif

My momma always told me not to count my chicks before they are hatched, but if anyone is interested in either Royal Palm or Black Mottled poults, let me know. Neither of these are breeds known for large meaty birds, they are more ornamental.

I love to study genetics and I find it fascinating that these 2 breeds are literally only a "half gene" apart, but look like photo negatives of each other (one white with black markings, the other black with white markings). The black mottleds have a single black gene, which they pass on to only half their progeny. The ones that get it look mostly black, the others are royal palms (which breed true).
cool!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom