Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

~~Well all 7 of Rosie's eggs hatched... 6 happy and active, last one was shrink wrapped though (we found it nearly out of the shell but with a bunch of membrane dried to it) and had just a bit of hernia on it's back end. We put a spray of Blue-kot on it to prevent it getting pecked at and reduce infection risk and tucked it back under her to dry out, mother nature will decide if it makes it or not, it wasn't easy to leave it but I don't think we could do anything better for it than mamma hen, and she will be better able to control temp and humidity that will give the chick it's best chance. A few pics to warm up a cold February evening....

I picked up my SPR hatching eggs today also, was 6 hours round trip but now 2 more broody hens are happily setting on them, and we now have another Pencil who started sitting yesterday (finally committed and plucked her chest, so I'm pretty confident she is going to stay put). If she sticks to her nest for 2 more days we will give her 8 or 10 eggs and by the first week of March we should be chick happy!

these are Black East Indie ducklings,,,this is my bantam breed of duck

my full size ducks are french white muscovy

How big do bantam ducks get? I have to admit, I am very uneducated when it comes to ducks, though Galgo has me convinced we will get some in the future when we have property that is more waterfowl friendly. (she gave us a crash course on duck benefits when we talked at the Mother Earth Fair last fall)

~~Well all 7 of Rosie's eggs hatched... 6 happy and active, last one was shrink wrapped though (we found it nearly out of the shell but with a bunch of membrane dried to it) and had just a bit of hernia on it's back end. We put a spray of Blue-kot on it to prevent it getting pecked at and reduce infection risk and tucked it back under her to dry out, mother nature will decide if it makes it or not, it wasn't easy to leave it but I don't think we could do anything better for it than mamma hen, and she will be better able to control temp and humidity that will give the chick it's best chance. A few pics to warm up a cold February evening.... I picked up my SPR hatching eggs today also, was 6 hours round trip but now 2 more broody hens are happily setting on them, and we now have another Pencil who started sitting yesterday (finally committed and plucked her chest, so I'm pretty confident she is going to stay put). If she sticks to her nest for 2 more days we will give her 8 or 10 eggs and by the first week of March we should be chick happy!
these are Black East Indie ducklings,,,this is my bantam breed of duck my full size ducks are french white muscovy
Too cute congrats such a good momma! Praying for the little peep hope it pulls through Banty ducks I love it they are adorable!! How are they to keep?

this might help, they have lots of pics on this site and since they are on wire you can judge the size
http://www.longshadowfarms.com/ducks.html

average is 3 - 4 pounds

OMG!!!
th.gif

I really need to find another place....
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom