Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I feel a case of chicken math about to begin, anyone else?

Picked up 11 Friday, have 19 coming this Friday, and now that they are here I'm feeling the itch
1f61c.png

I have been checking on the girls every hour since I opened the pop door around 8:30.  They all went scurried out & are going back in to the coop only to lay their eggs.  I left the heat lamp on in the coop in case they do want to go in & warm up a bit.  It is 10 in their run last time I checked & they are getting the nice sun rays in through the clear plastic on the front of the run.

Hubby made a cement block heater for the coop. Last night it was 14 in the coop and -14 outside! We have glazing on the run and it was 21 in there about an hour ago and 2 outside.

Last edited:
Hubby made a cement block heater for the coop. Last night it was 14 in the coop and -14 outside! We have glazing on the run and it was 21 in there about an hour ago and 2 outside.
What is a cement block heater consist of? I never heard of that but I'm always looking for safe ways to heat the coop when necessary. Thanks.

What is a cement block heater consist of?   I never heard of that but I'm always looking for safe ways to heat the coop when necessary.   Thanks.

It's just a cement block wired with two light fixtures in the holes. We put two 150 watt bulbs in and covered the holes with ceramic tiles. I have never heated the coop but -14 I feel is too cold. It's slow heat and they can't get burnt. We usually use one in the run to keep the water from freezing. It's hooked up to a thermostatically controlled outlet.

Spring IS around the corner! Just called Tractor Supply and chicks come in on the 23rd of Feb!:celebrate

Same date at mine. I asked yesterday when I was in. Not sure I'm getting any from them this year, I didn't last year, I just so by every day or two and see what they have and see what's getting old and discounted, then let wingstone buy them ;)

Last edited:
I got four eggs today out of my girls, it was a good day. In general I have definitely seen an uptick in egg laying.

Edit: make that 5 eggs! :yesss:

Spring IS around the corner! Just called Tractor Supply and chicks come in on the 23rd of Feb!:celebrate

We have to keep thinking on nights like tonight! So glad for my wonderful heated house!

Shout out from Berks County! 

Bucks county here. Welcome!

All of my spring pullets have been going strong. I'm getting about 2 dzn a day with 30 girls.

Those are decent numbers! Congrats!

It's just a cement block wired with two light fixtures in the holes. We put two 150 watt bulbs in and covered the holes with ceramic tiles. I have never heated the coop but -14 I feel is too cold. It's slow heat and they can't get burnt. We usually use one in the run to keep the water from freezing. It's hooked up to a thermostatically controlled outlet.

It is so cold. Is it that I don't remember because I never had chickens before, or is just an unusually cold winter? That's an excellent idea. I might try that for next year.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom