Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well, Came home to another fox attack.....two 6wk chicks are missing and the roo is gone....found one other bird outside the pen.....all birds were in one of two pens this morning....the chicks may have been small enough to squeeze through the welded wire.....but the roo and the other girl left the pen(s)......what a PIA!!!
Sorry to hear that
hugs.gif
I hope you can catch that fox soon. I wish you all the best and believe that you can get him!

This just sucks! Sorry to hear you lost more...short of burying chain link 18 inches deep around your entire area I am at a loss for other ways to deter them. you have to be beside yourself by now.

Fisher:

It is quite discouraging. I am down to 4hens and a bunch of babies...and the last bater hatch was mostly a bust(4 of 23)....so I am back to building from the ground up....

Fisher:

It is quite discouraging. I am down to 4hens and a bunch of babies...and the last bater hatch was mostly a bust(4 of 23)....so I am back to building from the ground up....

If you'd like some chicks, I have a broody sitting on eggs, I won't be able to keep more than one. They are Rhodebars and Wellsummers from Dheltzel. Nice stock!

Well, Came home to another fox attack.....two 6wk chicks are missing and the roo is gone....found one other bird outside the pen.....all birds were in one of two pens this morning....the chicks may have been small enough to squeeze through the welded wire.....but the roo and the other girl left the pen(s)......what a PIA!!!

Unfortunately many a good rooster is lost defending his flock,
sad.png
Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
If you'd like some chicks, I have a broody sitting on eggs, I won't be able to keep more than one. They are Rhodebars and Wellsummers from Dheltzel. Nice stock!

To all:

Thanks for the kind words....if I'm lucky, I may be able to get my #2roo back...if not I have a three day old to raise....it will be a year til he's online....

some thoughts on the collateral damage of foxes to small flocks......

1) I did not move aggressively enough.....the loss of hens created a conflict between two good roos and I had to give one away.....
2) with the losses, I had to keep all in the coops til I got home from work....two three day olds under a broody were gone...I assume the heat.....

3) the fox is dialed in on my flock....I put dog food under a trap this morning and it was gone when I came home...he beat the trap again...I set a couple of more traps but at least I can pattern him...if he gets some food...who cares....I'll have him baited...

Anne, I may tug on your sleve later, but, for now my layer crew has enough babies to move forward....

I'm not sure what type of traps you are using. If leghold, when I was younger and trapped, I suspended the bait (generally dead chicken from the neighborhood chicken house I worked in). Of course I also boiled and waxed the traps and handled with rubber gloves, etc.

Still limited success, but there weren't as many predators then, people actually killed them, they weren't as "protected"

Back
Top Bottom