Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Congratulations! It's so hard to leave them alone when you know there are peeps under there!

I know! I just went out to check on them and good thing I did cause one of the empty shells had wrapped its self around another egg and it has a pop in it. Poor thing would not have been able to get out!

Why do my friends feel they need to enable my addiction? I have a buddy who's a general contractor. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes this is what enables the crazies. My chicken coop was built (by myself) with about 90% recycled materials (from him). Now I'm in the process of making myself a turkey coop (because the wife said I can have big birds now to, but they will be eaten annually for the two major holidays). I'm about half-way finished with the coop and run and I get a text message.....from my buddy (the general contractor). He says "I'm tearing out a shed in decent condition up in your neck of the woods next week, do you want it?" Now what kind of a silly question is that? Do I want a decent shape, albeit used, 10x10 shed FOR FREE? Of course I do now stop bothering me I have to go figure out how many more birds I can get with a bigger coop. :D

:yuckyuck

Wow, so much going on!

Why do my friends feel they need to enable my addiction? I have a buddy who's a general contractor. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes this is what enables the crazies. My chicken coop was built (by myself) with about 90% recycled materials (from him). Now I'm in the process of making myself a turkey coop (because the wife said I can have big birds now to, but they will be eaten annually for the two major holidays). I'm about half-way finished with the coop and run and I get a text message.....from my buddy (the general contractor). He says "I'm tearing out a shed in decent condition up in your neck of the woods next week, do you want it?" Now what kind of a silly question is that? Do I want a decent shape, albeit used, 10x10 shed FOR FREE? Of course I do now stop bothering me I have to go figure out how many more birds I can get with a bigger coop. :D

I need to be friends with your friend! Awesome!

I'm a new chicken grandmother!! Eeek 5 more to go with Patch! (My hen)
[/IMG][/IMG]

This is so adorable!

Does anyone here ferment feed? I've been reading about it, but I have found conflicting info. Some say don't cover or to cover lightly, but others say cover. I'm not sure which to do.

Does anyone here ferment feed? I've been reading about it, but I have found conflicting info. Some say don't cover or to cover lightly, but others say cover. I'm not sure which to do.

A lot of us ferment our feed and I'm sure we all do it a different way lol. I'll tell you how I do mine though. I have a 5 gallon bucket with feed and water in it, water always completely covering the feed after it expands. I do not cover mine with a lid at all but I don't worry about anything getting into it either. You definitely want it open to the air so it doesn't turn to alcohol. You can cover it loosely with a lid and open it to stir a few times a day or cover it with cheesecloth if you want. The only time i stir ,one is when I'm taking some out or adding some in. I don't do the whole double bucket thing either. I use a plastic ladle that I picked up from Walmart and drilled holes in it for drainage. Every day, I take out what I need for my girls and refill the bucket with whatever feed and water it needs to be back to where it was. This is just the way I do it. I'm sure others will come in with their way also. Hope that helps :)

When it comes to fermenting feed, it's whatever works for you. I don't really like the cake method (it cracks like a loaf of bread) but have used it intentionally when I am feeding a lot (40 or so chickens) and in the winter. No straining when you are scooping is nice. Downside being that it is a pain (literally) when you are trying to stir a lot of feed with just a little water.
I like it wetter because it gives the extra ACV liquid to the animals (I have done it for the dog too) and makes me feel they are a smidge healthier.

Back
Top Bottom