Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well Folks:

Got a shock this morning...going to work back roads (suburbia), about 6 blocks from my house, make a left hand turn and see a fox with a squirrel in its mouth crossing the street...now know the PIA is still hanging around and just not coming near my place (yet)....

On another front, one girl CCL hatched and in the brooder and one other egg has a pipped but not made any progress in 24hrs.....hope I don't have a single hatch....
I wonder where you could find a friend for her . . .
I moved 64 chicks out to brooder today. I'm sure one or 2 of them could be her friend.

Those 64 bring the number of chicks that have hatched this year to 4,019. Not a bad start.

Hello again PA! It's been way to long...
I have two things I'm sure you wonderful people can help me with. 1st: I live near a state park (19438) and recently had half of my girls killed by a visiting coyote. So, how do I remove/trap this predator? 2nd: I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs. In the beginning, she was off, on, off, on her eggs. Finally, she's been ON, but now I don't know when to anticipate the hatch. Also, after the coyote attack, for her safety, I attempted to move her and her eggs, and she was off of them all day. I have candled the eggs, and they are all very dark, but I didn't see any movement. She did kick one egg out from under her (it was cold) so I cracked it open to find a fully formed chick with bright red blood vessels. Suggestions?? Do I simply leave her on the eggs until they start to stink?

I would just let her on he eggs if she gets off again like that I would take her a put her on the nest. If she gets off again after you just put her on then I would take the eggs and put them in an incubator if possible.

Hello again PA! It's been way to long...
I have two things I'm sure you wonderful people can help me with. 1st: I live near a state park (19438) and recently had half of my girls killed by a visiting coyote. So, how do I remove/trap this predator? 2nd: I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs. In the beginning, she was off, on, off, on her eggs. Finally, she's been ON, but now I don't know when to anticipate the hatch. Also, after the coyote attack, for her safety, I attempted to move her and her eggs, and she was off of them all day. I have candled the eggs, and they are all very dark, but I didn't see any movement. She did kick one egg out from under her (it was cold) so I cracked it open to find a fully formed chick with bright red blood vessels. Suggestions?? Do I simply leave her on the eggs until they start to stink?

!st:

Coyotes are a pack animal....usually a big hombre like a doberman / Shepard / rototiller / Pyrenees/ would drive off and single coyote, but there may be a pack behind the single intruder...your presence around the flock will...put the coyotes off their game....you should prepare for future confrontations,,,imho, if you do not pursue/kill/drive off the aggressor, they will take your flock...

and just let your broody do her thing....my two cents...sorry to sound preachy...

Back
Top Bottom