Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I know there are lots of forums, but I would rather ask you all this.

Is it possible for an egg to freeze (or partially freeze) and not crack? I have cracked a few eggs throughout the winter and the egg yolk seems thick. I'm not sure how else to describe it. The yolks have ranged a bit from ones that needed extra whisking to be blended to ones that seemed almost solid in consistency.

I wasn't sure if I should eat them or not and I can't even be positive that these eggs were from the coldest days because they didn't crack and they went right into the fridge with the rest. I have my eggs "in order" but we are a week or two behind most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Good news! Our two newest additions hatched late last night! I was worried about the brown one for a while but when the yellow one hatched, it got the brown one to wake up and finally zip out! Now we're at 3 hatched, 2 more eggs to go.
love.gif

This is me right now, running on 4 hours of sleep:
caf.gif

Is it possible for an egg to freeze (or partially freeze) and not crack? I have cracked a few eggs throughout the winter and the egg yolk seems thick. I'm not sure how else to describe it. The yolks have ranged a bit from ones that needed extra whisking to be blended to ones that seemed almost solid in consistency.

I wasn't sure if I should eat them or not and I can't even be positive that these eggs were from the coldest days because they didn't crack and they went right into the fridge with the rest. I have my eggs "in order" but we are a week or two behind most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Is it possible to partially freeze and not crack? Yes. I can't comment on the different consistencies though as I've never come across this before.

Any thoughts?
I have wondered this too. I've never had an egg freeze and crack but sometimes when I gather them, they're so cold! I eat them anyhow. If I'm not sure, I candle them to look for those tiniest little cracks that you can't see in daylight. You can also do the float test in water before you cook them. Also, sometimes the yolk is just thick, not frozen. Some of my hens lay eggs with thick yolks. I'm curious to see what others say about possibly frozen but not cracked eggs!

Excellent! I didn't REALLY want to leave my girls without a grown roo over the summer and it would be great to start with one that has already been proven to be docile!
Docility is at least somewhat genetic, and somewhat part of an individual personality of the roo, but I think there is also a situational component, meaning that it is possible that a roo can change temperment, for better or worse, as his situation changes. It certainly doesn't hurt to start with a roo that has no known problems.

The meanest roo I ever had was a white bearded silkie names, Alfie. I had a lone hen and Alfie was raised from a single chick, in an art studio, by a friend of a friend. They gave him a going away party and fed him Dorito chips as a sendoff -- in other words, he had been living the high life as a bachelor. I put him in with my (very "experienced") hen and she promptly went over and pecked him on the head to test his metal. That was his first experience with another chicken and I think it shook something loose in his brain, because he quickly figured out what a hen was good for (and she never pecked him again that I saw) and then became a psycho roo. Every day he would attack me a with all the fury a bantam roo can muster, and every day I kicked him hard across the pen until he retreated behind the nest box. But he never learned and the next day he was at it again. My mother learned the hard way not to wear flip flops in Alfie's pen. He fathered dozens, maybe hundreds of silkies, but he never mellowed, and fought me until the day he died of old age. I even briefly sold him once, but a few days later he was returned for a different roo, no human was ever tolerated by Alfie. I tolerated him, I guess you could say I respected his "never give up" attitude, and he was good to his hens, they adored him.

Any thoughts?
Yup, that is exactly what is happening. Freezing eggs is not a recommended preservation method because it alters the consistency, but it does not harm them and they are perfectly safe to eat. You know most of the fast food eggs are frozen at some point for long term storage. Not that that is the standard we should aspire to.

I eat frozen and even cracked eggs all the time. If the membrane is compromised (oozing white) or if the egg is dirty and cracked, then they get hard-boiled to feed back to the chickens.

Interesting! I have an odd question for the turkey owners here. If a Tom turkey is unable to excute mating with his girls, will he try to practice "relieving" himself? I've seen my Tom do this twice, where it looks like he's trying to mate with the air... Strange sight to see. I thought at first he was sick or having a seizure. He promptly stopped when I walked over to him. Is my Tom frustrated?
Mine do that a lot. It could be frustration, but I assumed it was part of their display to the hens, maybe to demonstrate their virility, or that they know what to do.
Wish I could ask the hens if that turned them on, but If they could talk to me, I'm sure the conversation would be dominated by a critique of what I feed them.

just stopping in to say hello again. Didn't forget you motorcycle chick just haven't seen you in a while.
I am not on FB anymore, but I had such an urge to check on you for the past two months or so.
hugs.gif

Any thoughts?
Yes, they can freeze all the way and not crack. Not good for hatching, but (literally!) pretty cool otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom