Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I am taking a screenshot to reference later. Also, approximately how big is your coop? It sure looks bigger than mine, and mine is 10x12. :lol:

We have one coop which is 12x12 interior but has a 4x12 porch for total of 12x16 -it is the one shown with the Light Sussex, it is stick built by my husband and I and has salvaged windows and steel entry door.

2nd coop is 12x16 mennonite built shed which has a 4x12 people area down the middle with coop enclosures on both ends.

I can get you more pictures if anything needs clarification. I really like the 'dutch door' and 'coon door' set up on the mennonite shed. It allows for many ventilation variations depending on needs of the day.

No birds yet. I have a lab; no birds though.

I'm still in the coop building process. Should be done this weekend. I'm looking to get 3 RI Reds.

Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I am taking a screenshot to reference later. Also, approximately how big is your coop? It sure looks bigger than mine, and mine is 10x12. :lol:

Thank you!

It's okay, they start out tiny anyways. By the time they grow up, he'll be too attached. :lol:

I want a mini cow just so I can have my own grass fed butter!! I eat so much of it. And plus, they're just adorable!

Haha! Have you done meat chicks before? Or just processed the excess Roos you hatch? You said your hubby does the slaughtering part, right?

I am concerned about your butter.

Haha! Well, maybe I won't feed the butter...

New guy here, Schuylkill County. Hi all!

No birds yet. I have a lab; no birds though.

I'm still in the coop building process. Should be done this weekend. I'm looking to get 3 RI Reds.

Welcome! Looks great so far! Just be sure to add some areas for ventilation. Very important. Also, you are going to need a bigger coop. You will want more chickens. It's inevitable.

Good morning everybody! Do you guys often find a lot of feathers in your nest boxes? My broody did this before she became broody, but I wonder if it's just normal anyways. This is one of the boxes, it just seemed like a lot. The speckled egg is fake, the other egg is from one of Rusty's sisters, known as Clove and Cinnamon.

Haha! Well, maybe I won't feed the butter...

Welcome! Looks great so far! Just be sure to add some areas for ventilation. Very important. Also, you are going to need a bigger coop. You will want more chickens. It's inevitable.

Some boards will be modified with hinges for ventilation, and the roof will have a ridge vent to allow heat exchange. Hopefully the rsin breaks soon and i can go tackle it some more.

As far as more chickens, my wife said 3 is enough lol! I want to build a run. Just trying to figure out the size right now.

Haha! 3 is never going to be enough! I just made it a bit more painless and ordered 20, now poor Keith is battling with his technology to get the math right ^^;;

Needless to say, his clipboard went sailing across the bedroom twice now... the last time hit the rabbit's enclosure and she was very unhappy with him. Our lovely lady Dixie is a diva who is the only one in the room that is allowed to be upset.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom