Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: Interesting! Here I thought they 'd be little wild hooligans.

Northwestern PA. Clarion County

Welcome!
The name eludes me at the moment, but it is not a very desirable plant, so I cut it down and plant something else. It will likely come back from the root is you don't dig it up, but if you keep cutting it, it will die eventually. I do that because I hate to dig out roots. Actually, I would cut it all the way to the ground, then make that spot my chicken manure compost pile and just keep dumping on top of it. Enough used bedding will smother anything.

Thanks! I will dig it up. Its a much better spot for some blue berry bushes or a lilac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopergirl1211

Omg I have a naked neck

Taken out of context, that statement is a bit odd . . .
It's good we all know you are referring to the Turken breed of chicken (you are, aren't you?)
gig.gif

So I came home from running the chicken train and resisted temptation to get any new birds... and you know what hubs came home from work with yesterday???? Four and a half dozen pheasant eggs and an incubator!!! I'm not sure where we are going to put them when they hatch (or how many will actually hatch, hubs friend says his hatch rate is really low), but we should have some tiny little chipmunk peeps for Mother's day, lol. These eggs are SO tiny!

Romeo update... I watched him in his crate in the coop for one day when I got back and then released him to re-integrate with his girls. He still has his eyeball in the injured eye! I thought it was just an empty hole, but the swelling is totally gone, no more pus, and he keeps it open (mostly) now and his eyeball is intact! There was a little bit of gunk in it yesterday so I put a little more Terramycin on it just to be safe. He doesn't appear to be USING that eye, but at least it's still there.

So glad to hear he's doing better. It will be interesting to see if he still has vision in that eye after all of the trauma. I'm sure he will be back to handsome in no time.

sT
@dheltzel Question for or anyone who knows about this bush. Does anybody know what this shrub is? I'd like to take it out and replace it with a prettier or more productive variety. It does have some small flower buds on i

The flowers are still very small, but I think it is Morrow's honeysuckle. The honeysuckle family of shrubs are some of the most common and invasive bush honeysuckles found in the mid-Atlantic region. Birds spread it like wildfire. Cut it down.

Happy Friday, everyone! Considering showing your poultry in fairs this summer? PA passed a law that will be enforced this June that all show birds have to be tested (AI and Pullorum) and banded to enter a fair. You're in luck - I'm a licensed Certified Poultry Technician through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I will drive to your farm and test your poultry. If you're seriously interested, please contact me here. Have a great weekend! :)

Edited by Staff

Wow! That's fantastic. My kids are wanting to start 4h, so I'll keep that in mind!

Oh @dheltzel... What can I put in here? :lol:

Edited to add: Are Bielefelder known to go broody? Helga was sitting in the nest tonight super fluffed up and screaming at me as I came near...

Last edited:
Funny story. My husband heard the chicks screaming, but he just kind of ignored it (I was still at work). They did eventually quiet down, but when he walked by about a half hour later, he saw our Electus parrot was in the bin with them. She couldn't get out, and the chicks were snuggled underneath her. I can't believe she didn't attack them! Talk about a close call. Here is the perp...

I would love some turkey eggs if you have extra! I also need some more hen saddles please. Probably about 5 if you have them. Rusty is a busy boy. :rolleyes:

I'll see what I can do :) I'll try to get some out on Monday.

Funny story. My husband heard the chicks screaming, but he just kind of ignored it (I was still at work). They did eventually quiet down, but when he walked by about a half hour later, he saw our Electus parrot was in the bin with them. She couldn't get out, and the chicks were snuggled underneath her. I can't believe she didn't attack them! Talk about a close call. Here is the perp...

Definitely a close call!

Back
Top Bottom