Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I brought them with me even though you hadn't been on yet...so still plenty of time. I PMed you my cell#

Sorry I didnt get back to you!! I was working most of the morning, then soccer in the cold with a cold, and when I got home my little goat had a seizure and that pretty much took up the rest of my night. ): and actually my morning today too. Poor little guy. Waiting on a call back from vet.

Sorry I didnt get back to you!! I was working most of the morning, then soccer in the cold with a cold, and when I got home my little goat had a seizure and that pretty much took up the rest of my night. ): and actually my morning today too. Poor little guy. Waiting on a call back from vet.

Aww poor little thing! I hope the vet can help him :( I'm sending you a pm

I was taking pictures again lol

We got our free meaties today from the feed mill promotion. 45 of them! This should be an interesting adventure! I set them up in the screen porch in an old kiddie pool that doesn't hold water anymore, wrapped it with insulation and covered it with a tarp lol. They seem to be doing good :)

Sprinkles, just because.

Close up of his feathers

I ended up keeping this girl because she was just the odd man out and didn't get sold with her age group. Now I'm watching her close. She looks like she's going to be a fantastic girl!

This was the little splash silkie that hatched a while ago with the big spot on her head. I'm still curious if that spot meant anything lol (baby picture for reminder)

This is my keeper brooder. Anyone who ends up in here gets to grow up here though boys may not like their future, depending. It's not as crowded as it looks though. It's about 3 times the size of the picture, they just all crowded in one spot. The CCL boy in the back on the right is the one that Queenie (turkey) skinned on his first day alive. The stitches worked great and he healed up so well! He only has a couple random feathers facing the wrong way lol

Sunshine and Lollipop, getting so big! I'm almost certain that they are a pair since Sunshine is so much bigger..

My first group of CX joined the flock 2 days ago and for the first time, went out free ranging today. They've gotten more exercise today than they ever have. They will probably be sore tomorrow! I've decided that I'm going to see if I can keep any of them alive to breeding age so I can try to outcross them and make a sustainable meat bird of my own.

This is one of the girls. They are such sweet friendly things. She came over and layed down in front of me because I was petting her lol

All 5 CX just loving life!

My 3 keeper poults from this spring have officially integrated into the flock :)
Awesome setup for he meaties. Do you have them on sand? And how the heck are you going to find time to butcher them all ?! I'm also amazed that you can pet your meat chickens and show them affection. I am trying to keep my distance from mine, so I am ready when it comes time to do the deed. Also, do you find that the meat chickens flesh is more yellow when you free range and allow them grass? Do you have them housed with the rest of your flock? I'd like to do that, but I'm still new to this. Your CX are also so nicely feathered out, unlike some that I have seen. Do you hold back some food from them, or just allow them to free range? Sorry for all the questions!
smack.gif

That Sprinkles is soo cute! Looks like a penciled rock markings. Just stunning! I hope he/she keeps it. BTW, how early can you guess a turkey's sex? My little chick that is about 2 weeks old was displaying a little bit, or walking around with his wings down towards the meat chicks. I was really hoping it was a female.

Just giving shout to my PA state thread. I am in Lehigh County, and
the back of my property is the edge of Berks County. It's beautiful
here near the Kittatinny Ridge. We are right on the hawk and eagle
migratory flyway, so I have wire covers over my chicken run! Howdy
to all you PA chook lovers .
woot.gif

Hello there!
frow.gif

My girls new home...
Learning to use the roost...

That's gorgeous! I'd live there!
Quote:
So sorry you are having such a hard time with your new additions. It's terrible that they were in such bad conditions.
hugs.gif

Awesome setup for he meaties.  Do you have them on sand?  And how the heck are you going to find time to butcher them all ?! I'm also amazed that you can pet your meat chickens and show them affection.  I am trying to keep my distance from mine, so I am ready when it comes time to do the deed.  Also, do you find that the meat chickens flesh is more yellow when you free range and allow them grass?  Do you have them housed with the rest of your flock?  I'd like to do that, but I'm still new to this.  Your CX are also so nicely feathered out, unlike some that I have seen.  Do you hold back some food from them, or just allow them to free range?  Sorry for all the questions! :smack

That Sprinkles is soo cute!  Looks like a penciled rock markings.  Just stunning!  I hope he/she keeps it.  BTW, how early can you guess a turkey's sex?  My little chick that is about 2 weeks old was displaying a little bit, or walking around with his wings down towards the meat chicks.  I was really hoping it was a female.

Hello there! :frow

That's gorgeous!  I'd live there!

So sorry you are having such a hard time with your new additions.  It's terrible that they were in such bad conditions. :hugs

Thank you! My little meaties are on towels right now. I didn't like sand in the brooder the last time I used it so they'll be on towels for a week then I'll do shavings. It's going to be tight at butchering time but we've made friends with another local family that has a plucker and that has offered to help on butchering day. We've also volunteered to help them with the 50 that they have lol. If that doesn't work out, we'll just do a few a day until they're done.

I try to raise all my chicks, meaties or not, with love. A lot of good days followed by 1 bad day. The big ones in the pictures are behind standard butchering age. I did restrict their food as they were growing to keep them growing a little slower. Those 5 that are grown are going to to get to live as long as they can so I can attempt to breed them. They're in with the rest of the flock, yes, though they sleep in the run. They can't climb the ramp lol.

I haven't had enough experience with meaties yet to know if they're yellower when raised on grass or not. Though, all of mine are raised on grass whether they're in with the flock free ranging or out in the tractor.

As for turkeys, you can't sex then a lot of times until they're almost mature. Even the hens will strut when babies.

Thank you! My little meaties are on towels right now. I didn't like sand in the brooder the last time I used it so they'll be on towels for a week then I'll do shavings. It's going to be tight at butchering time but we've made friends with another local family that has a plucker and that has offered to help on butchering day. We've also volunteered to help them with the 50 that they have lol. If that doesn't work out, we'll just do a few a day until they're done.

I try to raise all my chicks, meaties or not, with love. A lot of good days followed by 1 bad day. The big ones in the pictures are behind standard butchering age. I did restrict their food as they were growing to keep them growing a little slower. Those 5 that are grown are going to to get to live as long as they can so I can attempt to breed them. They're in with the rest of the flock, yes, though they sleep in the run. They can't climb the ramp lol.

I haven't had enough experience with meaties yet to know if they're yellower when raised on grass or not. Though, all of mine are raised on grass whether they're in with the flock free ranging or out in the tractor.

As for turkeys, you can't sex then a lot of times until they're almost mature. Even the hens will strut when babies.

Great pictures! If you are butchering during the week get in touch with me...no problem to come help out. I would even bring my own cone and knife, lol.

No problem, we will be going to camp this weekend, so can bring eggs with us if you think you can meet up somewhere (camp in East Springfield). I can even get some from Aurora to bring probably, if she is ok with that.

Back
Top Bottom