Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ana is losing babies left and right :/ This is the first time I've let her have more than just 1 or 2 and though she's a very good mother, I don't think she can handle more than a couple at a time. She's down to 3, out of a total of 8. The very first night, she lost 1, I forget how. 2 she managed to get to leave the coop with her but she went back in with the others and those two couldn't get back to her (it was too late when i found them). Last night, she lost 2 more. 1 got stuck in a hole in the milk crate she bedded down in, the other, I'm not sure what happened. She still has 3 happy, healthy little ones running around with her so we'll see how it goes. I'm so glad I gave her boys to raise though. Only 1 was a possible girl but that one was one that passed away last night.

Sorry to hear this. Between my four broodies, only the turkey hen will ocassionally sit on the ones that can't figure out how to get in the coop. I have to be home every night around dusk to make sure everyone is collected and put back with the Mamas. Last night I only had to fetch three, so hopefully, they are getting the hang of it. I did lose one of the Roos one night. The little bigger escaped me and I was waiting until it got darker. Then I heard The jingle of the cats bells. But I'm not too upset because he would have been rehomed or eaten.

I had another girl go broody shortly after the chicks hatched, but thankfully, two days in the broody breaker was enough to stop her.

So cute! Those are some big babies though!

Ana is losing babies left and right :/ This is the first time I've let her have more than just 1 or 2 and though she's a very good mother, I don't think she can handle more than a couple at a time. She's down to 3, out of a total of 8. The very first night, she lost 1, I forget how. 2 she managed to get to leave the coop with her but she went back in with the others and those two couldn't get back to her (it was too late when i found them). Last night, she lost 2 more. 1 got stuck in a hole in the milk crate she bedded down in, the other, I'm not sure what happened. She still has 3 happy, healthy little ones running around with her so we'll see how it goes. I'm so glad I gave her boys to raise though. Only 1 was a possible girl but that one was one that passed away last night.

Auro:

I've had a couple of broodies that had a hard time managing getting babies in/out of the coop... I've found if they get the first week in good, then no more problems....

20170601_193454.jpg
Picked up 5 leghorns at the auction last night. The kids are thrilled. Thinking about adding some sort of rooster and maybe 2 cochins.

How do you sex the Ameracaunas?

I guess they were just looking at the comb development etc.

I don't really know how someone sexed them since they all look different. I have been able to tell with the BO's cause you have significant difference in comb development right in front of you, but I remember being told that one of my hens looked like a roo last year because of her comb development.

It is even harder because even though they were advertised as Ameraucanas, they were bought at TSC so to me, I figure they are probably more EE then Ameraucana and then I figure they could look even more different.

IMG_0248.JPG
I guess they were just looking at the comb development etc.

I don't really know how someone sexed them since they all look different. I have been able to tell with the BO's cause you have significant difference in comb development right in front of you, but I remember being told that one of my hens looked like a roo last year because of her comb development.

It is even harder because even though they were advertised as Ameraucanas, they were bought at TSC so to me, I figure they are probably more EE then Ameraucana and then I figure they could look even more different.

The pics they were using were only from above. I was hoping they had insight since they were only 1-3 wks old.

When TSC and others advertise Ameracauna, they will usually change the spelling to something like "Americana". This is a guarantee that it's a mix. In addition they don't look like the exact breed. Ameracauna also have cheeks, where as the mix usually don't. In the pic I'm attaching, our Blue Wheaten Ameracauna, Christian Grey, has cheeks.

So I got some more chicks today... and in the mix are Brahma light and dark and Welsumers. And should have a call on some turkeys hatching tomorrow as well!

View attachment 1027898
Picked up 5 leghorns at the auction last night. The kids are thrilled. Thinking about adding some sort of rooster and maybe 2 cochins.

They look very healthy! The kids do look excited. Congrats!

So I got some more chicks today... and in the mix are Brahma light and dark and Welsumers. And should have a call on some turkeys hatching tomorrow as well!

It's getting bad. How many do you have now?

Can you even count how many you have now? :lau

Lol!

Back
Top Bottom