People unwilling to sell hatching eggs!

Just me, but , unless they state they ship šŸš¢ eggs, then I wouldn't ask, that said, they shouldn't be rude back.
The only reason that I asked was that they were mentioned on a Facebook egg shipping page as someone breeding what I was looking for. I knew that it was possible that they didnā€™t ship but I just wanted to ask if they did. I guess I learned my lesson there :(

Where are you asking?
I'm on local FB chicken groups and people post a discussion, not an ad , that they are looking for hatching butt nuggets. FB gets weird about selling animals. I have had turkey eggs for sale posts and FB said it went against standards.
Anyway in the chicken groups lots of local people reply to chicken posts. This year nobody wants turkey eggs šŸ˜‚
I did try to make a post in my local group asking about what I am looking for and not a lot of people have silkies out here that arenā€™t the hatchery ifa/tractor supply silkies. The few that seem to have better quality donā€™t sell eggs and they all seem cold towards me when I ask. I honestly didnā€™t know it was offensive to ask about it - I thought people would be flattered that others want some of their stock!

Not everyone sells hatching eggs just because they have chickens. Some don't have a male to breed period, some might know they have a genetic issue in their flock and don't want to spread it/have people get mad at them when they hatch eggs and they get issues. I have a few pens I had to retire early because I was getting problems with all the daughters or was getting poor survival period or was getting other issues in such as scissor beaks, cataracts early on, ect
I totally understand that. All of the people I have contacted are breeders, who keep males and advertise chicks. I believe in my area people wonā€™t sell eggs because they ā€œcanā€™t make as much $$$ on eggs.ā€ Only one person has actually said that, so Iā€™m not sure about the others, which now Iā€™m remembering a 4th local person who also told me no. I guess maybe itā€™s just something that is common in our area. I am new to the area and itā€™s just kind of strange.

I totally understand that. All of the people I have contacted are breeders, who keep males and advertise chicks. I believe in my area people wonā€™t sell eggs because they ā€œcanā€™t make as much $$$ on eggs.ā€ Only one person has actually said that, so Iā€™m not sure about the others, which now Iā€™m remembering a 4th local person who also told me no. I guess maybe itā€™s just something that is common in our area. I am new to the area and itā€™s just kind of strange.
Heck, I'd rather just sell eggs personally than worry about hatching chicks to sell. Some people just are protective of their genetics too, but usually people are at least polite about declining

I did try to make a post in my local group asking about what I am looking for and not a lot of people have silkies out here that arenā€™t the hatchery ifa/tractor supply silkies. The few that seem to have better quality donā€™t sell eggs and they all seem cold towards me when I ask
It sounds like you may be looking for show quality Silkies. Some breeders are helpful and are glad to help spread the love for their breed. Some may not think their chickens are of good enough quality to sell. Some may not want the competition. Some will not sell eggs because they don't know what quality will hatch but might pick out a breeding trio of adults for you. Some will only sell if they think you have a passion for their breed. I've seen a lot of different stories on this forum over the years. Anyone selling eggs from decent show quality chickens are not likely to be cheap. It costs a lot of money and effort to breed them. It helps to be passionate about them, which can lead to certain behaviors.

I have no idea what is going in in your specific situation. All I can suggest is to try going to chicken shows and chat with the people showing their Silkies. Or try to find breeders near you to chat with, not all will say no but it may take work. Or maybe risk shipping eggs to hatch. Sometimes you get decent hatches from shipped eggs, sometimes they are horrible.

I did try to make a post in my local group asking about what I am looking for and not a lot of people have silkies out here that arenā€™t the hatchery ifa/tractor supply silkies. The few that seem to have better quality donā€™t sell eggs and they all seem cold towards me when I ask. I honestly didnā€™t know it was offensive to ask about it - I thought people would be flattered that others want some of their stock!
Im my mind I see a marketable need. Go on a very reputable site and purchase silkies with the characteristics you desire. Purchase, breed, good biosecurity, and next year sell fertile eggs, hatch your own and sell chicks.
If you want them locally and cannot find them, chances are someone else is in the same situation.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues finding someone local. You mentioned IFA store, so must be close to where we are. Not sure what specifically you are looking for but, if we can help you out with bantam silkie mixed hatching eggs let me know.

Back
Top Bottom