people with house chickens

tongue.png
I have a Trio of Seramas in the house. Been in here since last august. I have them in a rabbit cage in the entryway. They are Tony Orlando and Dawn. Spoiled rotten. Tony crows every morning at about 4 am. One of the girls has been laying for about 3 months. Most of my friends would say i'm nuts and i'm ok with that.
celebrate.gif

Ya the poop factor kinda seperates their bounderies. I am sure that if they did not poop so much (and if our house was not so small) then perhaps they could come in every once in a while to vist, but cleaning up poo off the carpet dose not sound to appealing, and I know changing 7 chicken diapers is not either....

Yep my dog's ears perk up immediately with any poop release sound.

Our house Banty, Taco Belle, had been with us indoors since we found her 6+years ago this past January. She is totally house trained when you are holding, snuggling her, bedtime. Her manners are excellent in that regard, but if left to run around she will occassionally leave something little behind, though with the dog it's pretty much cleaned up right away. She'll nromally "let you know" she's gotta go and happily gets tossed out the door, poops in under 30 seconds then runs back up the stairs and back inside.

She loves to just snuggle all day long and sometimes I keep her inside the warm vest I wear. She even goes shopping with me all tucked away sometimes. She goes on most of our family vacations and travels better than any one else in the car. Sometimes she is a Pets on Wheels Chicken.

She of course knows her name and comes when called, unless she's dusting in her favorite house plant, then she just ignores everyone.

We finally decided to get some working girls this summer and came home with 4 ee chicks (1 ended up a roo/re-homed and have since added 2 more). Taco was not amused with theses "animals" but after several weeks of slow integration she decided they weren't so bad afterall . . . though in no way was she going to stay outside all day w/ them!

All the chicken bonding stopped when cold weather hit, as she's old now and not really a cold weather bird, so maybe in the Spring she'll be able to free range with the big girls while I'm back gardening outside.

Awww...what a cutie Princess is! I had a white cochin bantam named Princess who lived the same kind of life as yours. Isn't it funny how they get set in their ways?

Virginia is an ordinary production red chicken and the only one I own at the moment. She hatched with a wry neck and the other chicks began picking on her so I brought her home. She has a habit of holding her poo for a good 20+ minutes and so I have the honor of cleaning up one big poo instead of lots of little ones! LOL And she considers the bathroom her chicken coop/bunny hutch so she is in there with her friend a good portion of the day. It's not bad. She has a window to look out, her own dusting box and lots of room.

ETA - Leenie, you live just down the road from me! I'm in Fairfax.

Last edited:
Good morning folks and their chickens
D.gif

I slept in this morning and missed all the morning posts. I am so glad that you all found your way here. We are like kindred spirits.

My dog also likes to eat poo too
sickbyc.gif
Sometimes she actually eats so much it makes her sick. But I spend a lot of time cleaning poo. She goes everywhere she wants. So there have been times when my daughter will find poo in her room. Or its in the basement. But its usually big solid poo so not so bad. And I think she knows somehow that if its going to be a mess she stays on the tile floor. She's a conciderate pooper.

I slept longer than she liked today and she jumped on the bed to tell me to get up. My funny girl

She was just screaming because one of the cats was sitting in her food bowl.

Those of you who snuggle, your so lucky. She tolerates me touching her, nothing more. Although she is always within a few feet if not touching me somehow. She even waits at the door with the other animals when we come come. Not much cuter than to see a chicken, Choc. lab, lab beagle mix, and 3 cats lined up together in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom