people with house chickens

My friend that LOVE Frizzle visited yesterday. She loves chickens and she thinks Frizzle is so amusing. It's funny how the chicken has more fans than I do.

We watch tv together sometimes. I really like laying with her. If I'm lucky she will get close and rub her head up against me.

This is her neighbor Paco. His cage is right next to hers. They can't be near each other because Paco would hurt her but I feel like she does benefit from living in a room with other birds.

I have tried so many beddings for her cage and none of them work the way I want them to. Wood shavings, wood pellets, and all sorts of shredded paper. She, of course, scratches at whatever I put in her cage and ends up flinging it in her food and water bowls. I like the shredded paper because it's easy to pick up and doesn't cost me a penny to make. But I'm pretty sure she eats it, lol. I bought her a bag of layer pellets on Friday. She isn't crazy about them. It seems like she holds out for treats or something. I usually throw her a grape or some kind of fruit/veggie every day. I give her cracked corn as a treat and I swear she's addicted. I still haven't ordered her a diaper. It's not that bad without it. Like someone said early the regular poops are a breeze. since I have had parrots my whole life it doesn't even bother me. But the cecil poops bother me. The smell is terrible! Spring is just a couple weeks away! Then I can start taking her outside again. I might try to build her a cage to get some sun in. I don't trust the animals out there so I would never leave her out overnight. Hope everyone is enjoying their house chickens!

Today the ducklings got some tub time. It was their first time in the water. They loved it! I think I may have three different breeds, one has the afro crest, one is a pretty good size, and the third is about half the size of the other two.

Hi,
I ordered chicken diapers from Louise's Country Closet on Ebay.
Her Quality was AMAZING!!!!! Perfect sizing!!!!
$13 with free shipping!! I bought 3
Here is a pic of Kung Pao in his Diaper.. he is also wearing a NO CROW collar.. so that is not part of the diaper.

I think they take a while to get used to. you might consider getting Finn used to wearing anything... even doll clothing,that way by the time the diaper fits... no big deal
wee.gif

He is fine with wearing a diaper, but when I put it on him the poop would fall right out. Even when we fixed it is it too heavy.

Hi,

if the poo is falling out you may have the wrong size. I will take some close up pics in the AM and post them for you.
The "diaper" part of the diaper should fit to your chickens bum like a seal. So it makes complete contact all the way around the chickens cloaca.
I will post those pics for you tomorrow.

The diaper is his size. I measured him a few times. It is too heavy even when we fixed it. We cut out the heavy lining inside the diaper, but that was still too much.

Last edited:
I need advice quickly. My indoor hen has just started to lay. Someone told me she needs special UV lighting so she can get vitamin D to absorb calcium. I'm hoping this is not true because the lightbulbs cost $20 each and cannot be bought locally. My other thought is to put her outside to get some sunlight a few days a week but it is so cold out still that I worry about her getting sick from going to one extreme to the other. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a quick question about Sunni. What do I use to clean her when she makes a mess of her tail feathers? I have just been washing her under the sink with warm water and then blow drying her, but that doesn't get rid of the smell. Can you use soap?? Or does that break down the feathers? She is starting to get really smelly. :sick

You can use baby shampoo, it doesn't strip the feathers of their natural oils and works really well!

You can also use plain white vinegar, it will make the feathers very glossy and smooth. (Not to mention, it's a natural deodorizer!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom