people with house chickens

Hi all I just had to tell you a story about my house chickens. I have three silkie females that live inside my home. They have a run and coop out side for their exercise and play time as well. Well it was a nice sunny day about 70 today so I took the girls out to play in their covered run. They were out for about a hour when I saw them starting to pant. I knew it was time to being them back inside. Well when I brought my peepers inside back to her very large box she shares with her sisters she was so happyy to be back inside she started dust bathing in her shavings and she gave the loudest purr I've ever heard her give. She kept rolling and purring truely happy to be back inside. Its so funny how they get spoiled to the house and actually perfer to be inside! You should have seen her! It was as if she was away from home forever! ! Funny some would say chickens aren't happy in the house, but my girls would prove them wrong. Mine are truely inside birds. My little peepers was so happy to get back inside she showed me with a big purr and a shavings bath! I love my house chickens! They truely are a joy!

I lost my girl i had in the house last summer. She re joined the flock last summer and got too stressed when i tried to brong her in. She made the winter but ate a wad of straw so i brought her to a vet and she died during surgery. I am distressed since i have treated this before myself but i thought surgery was better so she didn't have to be sick. :(
I have a few eggs in the bator, praying. This is her lovey man she would not give up

Last edited:
Sunni has a new favorite.

A few weeks ago I started spending a few hours each night watching movies or tv. Sunni started sitting on my lap while I was watching it, and found that she really enjoyed it. A few times she even fell asleep standing there.
lol.png
Now she refuses to go to bed at night until I watch tv with her. I tried putting her to bed early the other night, and I couldn't believe the temper tantrum she threw. She kept flapping her wings and making all kinds of noises until I took her out and watched tv with her. Then she went to bed like a good girl. She is such a creature of habbit. There is no way I'll ever break her of this one.

Tomorrow we are leaving on a weekend getaway, and Sunni is coming with us. I'm going to try and sneak her into the hotel room.
tongue.png
Sunni and I are pretty much attached at the hip. If she is away from me for more than a few hours, she gets really distraught. So I couldn't imagine leaving her at home with a babysitter for three days.

I have a question for all of you house chicken owners. What are your girl's and boy's favorite treats? Sunni's are cheerios, animal crackers, and yogurt. I actually have a container of animal crackers stashed in the cupboard just for Sunni. She knows they're there too. Every time I walk up to the cupboard she'll go racing through the house and stand on my feet until I give her some. Sunni is so crazy about treats that she does tricks for them. She'll jump about 6-8 inches in the air to grab treats out of my hand. It's the funniest thing! She'll also chase after them if I throw them across the room, and then she'll come running back for more. It's the closet she'll probably ever get to playing fetch. She comes back, but I don't ever get the treat back from her.
lol.png

My birds love bannanas most, but also baby spinach canned fish ( not too much, salt) yogurt, peaches, watermelon, pretty much whatever i am eating. Tried to eat a taco once..lol. I think it was the dangly lettuce that sealed the deal. One minute i had taco, then there was a flock of leaping birds and a wrapper! (I had sat down in the shade a little ways from the flock)

Back
Top Bottom