people with house chickens

Expanding the outdoor flock today...getting 2 Maran chicks and parting with the Silkie babies. Meeting a friend from BYC! Can't wait to introduce her daughter to her new babies :D She has promised to keep me up to date on their growth and antics.

@aoxa: Penny is gorgeous! Gotta love her poise
big_smile.png
Am laughing because the dogs are trying to figure her out...has she pecked any of them yet?
Yep. She tastes everything. We just ordered her diapers. Hopefully they come soon :) Still don't mind picking up after her right now. Lysol wipes work awesome.

She is healing well, but her neck is tight, and sometimes it's hard for her to swallow hard foods. We have to really water down her mash.

We had an interesting day...

My white 4 week old silkie chick had an accident..she lost the tip of her longest toe on her left foot. My daughter and her friend was bringing the four 4 week old chicks and the 2 18 week old silkies in the house...her friend had the babies in a milk crate and set it down on the concrete..the chick must have had it's toes curled around the bottom of the slat on the crate and when he set it down it 's toe had gotten cut in half...I cleaned it, cut down a band aid to put on it and put it with it's buddies. I had to run some errands and when I got back I found the band aid gone and the end of the toe too...I kind of debated on whether it needed to come off any how.

After i cleaned the toe back up..I figure some treat time would be good. Yummy grape halves. Forgive the quality!!
I also gave the older birds some grapes...anyone ever felt like they may have to give their greedy cockerel the heimlich manuever.

0.jpg

And I think I MAY have a little cockerel on my hands..he has more of a comb and wattles showing and is a little bigger than the other chicks..I know it is too early to tell for sure..but that is what my gut is telling me. If he is a boy I am going to have to decide who to keep..my black cockerel or this little red boy.

I also got to chase a foot long garter snake out of the outside pen..mean cuss tried striking at me but I shooed him off to the neighbor's yard... I may have to get a clean faced bird to watch for things like that...my birds didn't even see it..one walked with in a couple inches from it too...Hope everyone's weekend was good..with less injuries and snakes!!
Lisa

Ok, I've got something to tell you that may interest you all
wink.png

I went to visit my dear old gran in hospital (she's fine btw) & I was telling her about our chickens coming indoors.

Her eyes lit up.

"Oh, yes! My mother had a chicken that used to live in the house. It was quite common. Do you remember Joan?"

"Oh, yes, thats right" Joan nods. (Her sister)

"She was lovely" Nan continued "We thought she was a he & named him "pop - eye" because he only had one eye when he hatched. One day mother turned around in the kitchen with a pan full of boiling oil & she tripped over her / him! And all the hot oil went all on the poor chickens back!" She laughed.

Joan butted in "Remember what mother did to him then, Marge?"

"Oh yes" Gran snorted "She covered the poor bird in flour because of his burnt feathers."
idunno.gif
"Then father came home & took one look & said she was mad. He used to threaten to put it in the pot. That bird lived to a very ripe old age in the house. He used to sit on the sofa & mother would carry it around in her apron."

This was 70+ years ago. The motto probably would be, look out for the chicken if your cooking.
lau.gif

Ok, I've got something to tell you that may interest you all
wink.png

I went to visit my dear old gran in hospital (she's fine btw) & I was telling her about our chickens coming indoors.

Her eyes lit up.

"Oh, yes! My mother had a chicken that used to live in the house. It was quite common. Do you remember Joan?"

"Oh, yes, thats right" Joan nods. (Her sister)

"She was lovely" Nan continued "We thought she was a he & named him "pop - eye" because he only had one eye when he hatched. One day mother turned around in the kitchen with a pan full of boiling oil & she tripped over her / him! And all the hot oil went all on the poor chickens back!" She laughed.

Joan butted in "Remember what mother did to him then, Marge?"

"Oh yes" Gran snorted "She covered the poor bird in flour because of his burnt feathers."
idunno.gif
"Then father came home & took one look & said she was mad. He used to threaten to put it in the pot. That bird lived to a very ripe old age in the house. He used to sit on the sofa & mother would carry it around in her apron."

This was 70+ years ago. The motto probably would be, look out for the chicken if your cooking.
lau.gif

That's funny, sad and sweet at the same time!

My great grandmother told me that she used to have a house chicken. She has dementia, so she can't remember much about it, but she know that she had one when her children were young.

I wonder what happened. Why did having chickens in the house go from the norm, to suddenly everyone finds it complete blasphemy. It's kind of sad, really. People are missing out on some really great pets!

That's funny, sad and sweet at the same time!

My great grandmother told me that she used to have a house chicken. She has dementia, so she can't remember much about it, but she know that she had one when her children were young.

I wonder what happened. Why did having chickens in the house go from the norm, to suddenly everyone finds it complete blasphemy. It's kind of sad, really. People are missing out on some really great pets!

Yeh, that was my great grandmother to.

Its weird. It must have been because they discovered bacteria etc & people now are so vigilant about it that a "farm animal" would never be allowed in their home. But a few people (us) realize that any bacteria you are exposed to, you become immune to, so your not at any risk unless you have a compromised immunity etc.

Currently I have an indoor roo & an indoor first time broody!

She's a little bantam cochin & has her first clutch of 6 eggs. She's been on them for 3 days
fl.gif
I need a chick fix soon.

Hi All,

Ok, soooooooo, got the two incubators since I don't have enough eggs from Ginger and Sesame to get a decent sized clutch in a timely manner..
and, the date came when I was to move the first egg to the hatching/lock down incubator.
So, I pull out this little brown egg which was only slightly larger than a quail egg. I received my little candler in the mail so I decided to candle it.
It just didn't seem to look right and I figured the egg was a dud. Mind you, I have NEVER candled an egg before in my life! So, I placed it in the second bator and figured it couldn't hurt.

The faux pas that occurred within the following 48 hours:
  • humidity drops to 40%
  • bumped incubator with my foot and the egg went rolling across the entire distance of the incubator floor
  • humidity jumps to 90%
  • temperature declines to 95 degrees
  • humidity jumps back up to 90+%

I didn't stress too much, after all, the egg was a dud. I check the incubator before heading to bed and can't believe my eyes! There is a tiny hole in the egg. I am pretty sure I sat and watched the egg for an hour. Nothing happened and I began to panic. Was my little chick stuck, hurt, to tired to escape it's egg? I jumped on BYC and reviewed the education section. Satisfied I went to bed.
This is what I found in the morning....just not quite so dry...

ok, seriously, she or he is the cutest thing I have ever seen. the brooder is an old cooler... i'm so excited! I can't wait til a few more eggs start hatching!
MUST HAVE MORE CHICKENS!!! I think someone else said it was a sickness in another post. Yes it is. They are the best little pets you could have!

Back
Top Bottom