people with house chickens

You described the beasties very well. I would add that Raccoons love the frenzy of a chase and kill just for the sheer joy of it more than for food. It's play to them.

That's true. We've had a string of disappearing cats lately, and several of my neighbors have found intact rabbit carcasses with the telltale small bite marks of a raccoon. PBG, I wouldn't blame you one bit. Is trapping legal where you live? May be worth it to set up a few live traps and bait 'em with cat food or meat scraps and see if he'll fall for it.

I'm so sorry!! How sad. I hate raccoons!!! He still found a way to get to her??
Yeah, he pulled apart the fencing and just grabbed her right out.

That's true. We've had a string of disappearing cats lately, and several of my neighbors have found intact rabbit carcasses with the telltale small bite marks of a raccoon. PBG, I wouldn't blame you one bit. Is trapping legal where you live? May be worth it to set up a few live traps and bait 'em with cat food or meat scraps and see if he'll fall for it.

I don't know. I'd rather take care of it myself, you know? Just end it right there instead of just holding it in a cage.

so you would risk it getting away and getting more chickens? We can't let our emotions get in the way of doing what is right.
Well, it wouldn't get away because my dad would probably do it. Plus he'd do it during the day if we are doing it so they would be sleeping and not out trying to get more chickens.

Well, right now I am really fired up about this, and Im sure once the time comes to really kill it if we do, we'll probably do something different. But now I just wanna shoot it.

Not to derail the discussion (I'm really sorry for your loss.
sad.png
My vote is trapping and shooting. Raccoons are nocturnal. Unless you want to stay up all night, just bait and trap then kill in the morning)

But I ordered an air purifier today. It's compatible with a HEPA filter (still not sure it comes with one, there is a LOT of sneaky advertising of "HEPA type" which is NOT HEPA. The problem is ordering online the descriptions aren't always perfect.) anyways, I'm going to stick it in my chicken room. We used to dry clothes in there, but they got a nice dusting with dust (could be because I might have also cleaned the cage while they were laying there.) and had to be rewashed. So, trying to cut down on chickie dust and a HEPA supposedly cuts down on smell as well (don't have a problem with smell so much. I keep them very clean. Except that one time I tried to see if their cage could go 2 full weeks. The answer if NO).
I'll let you guys know if it actually works. The one I ordered is small - only one room - but cheap enough that I might try and get one for our bedroom just for allergen reasons. There are times when we can't even open our windows because I'm allergic to trees that shed.

Quote: Some people would set free elsewhere. If you watch Billy the Exterminator (which I do lol) the only thing that they don't take really far away and set free are mice and rats because they are pests. Raccoons/snakes/possums have a place in the ecosystem or something. However, generally, us country folk just trap and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom