people with house chickens

Camping means open air, open air means predator wildlife will sniff out your bantams, and bantams mean they are excellent flyers - so, I would not keep the Seramas outdoors (not even in a pen or cage) but diapered and in the camper to not lose the birds to flightiness or predators - of course it means butt washes and blow drys before roost time. Enjoy your birds but always think secure, secure, secure.

We inherited a relative's cockatiel when they passed away and he always went camping with them - sitting on the headrest of the driver's seat while the couple was on the road. We would sometimes take him for drives in the car to sit on the seat back to make him feel at home. He would wolf whistle at people in the street crosswalks. He lived to a ripe old age of 23-1/2 years before passing on. RIP PeeWee!
Originally Posted by subhanalah

also remember that the idea when camping is to NOT draw attention of the local predators to your campsite so as to not have any personal close encounters.
In my opinion, if you bring chickens camping you are endangering the lives of all people sharing the vicinity.

That's an emergency situation waiting to happen. Seems like a risk that would be best not taken.
Quote:
Posted by Sylvester017 - My sentiments exactly - leaving chickens in someone else's care is not the same as your care. That's why I see no harm in taking house Seramas along - I agree with subhanahlah to not tempt fate by losing them to flightiness or a predator outdoors. I once heard of a Coyote dragging off a 2-year-old child from a campsite. If the Seramas are house chickens an RV confinement should be fine. I would just be sure to use chicken diapers in a confined space like an RV. I wonder if Seramas get car sick? We had a dog that used to get really queasy riding in a car. When we take our birds to the vet they stay sitting down in the kennel the whole trip because car turns, acceleration, or stops would make them fall over so they stay sitting the whole time.

Last edited:
Length will need trimmed, unless there is a chicken version of a cuttlebone? I had to do mine. There is a blood vein in there, so you need to know how before snipping!

On a different note, will indoor chickens ever need to have their beaks trimmed (and by trimmed, I do NOT mean any sort of debeaking. I really mean taking the very very end off)

I ask because even though my chickens (10 weeks old) seem to be developing very sharp upper beaks. They have a couple bricks they can wear it down against in their cage, but the amount of time they free range with me outdoors probably won't be adequate to grind them down. Maybe they're fine and I just need to stop finding things to worry about, but I'm paranoid! I want to do everything right. I don't want to have to fix it later because I didn't know.

I was going to suggest bricks or paver stones for them to wipe their beaks on but you are already doing that. We have a paver stone patio outside and the chickens are always wiping their beaks on the stones or gravelly soil or on the grass. It is a natural process that also trims their beaks naturally. If you give your birds some free-range time they should be fine. If the vet ever considers their beaks need filing someone suggested a Dremel tool. Also, it can be used to trim toenails too since house chickens might develop some long nails. Even my outdoor Silkies need their back toes trimmed a bit every couple months. I have had chickens for 3 years and none have ever needed beak trims but their toenails can get wild sometimes.

I'm going RV camping for a week and may take my two indoor Seramas. Do any of you have tips for the road or campsite?
HI! I read through the posts and agree...if you keep them inside you should be fine. I actually took mine on vacation for 9 days because I did not have anyone to help care while we were away. Didn't let them outside, but that was ok because they are house chickens...and being in a new place, they didn't even look to go outside like they do at home! Its a bit of work but doable
smile.png

I don't know, I'm pretty sure bears can hear and smell a live chicken inside a camper.just the air from the inside of the camper when you open the door. Chickens put off a lot of "scent particles" especially in a closed space.
I've never faced a bear, but I hope that I never have to lol.

Last edited:
I don't know, I'm pretty sure bears can hear and smell a live chicken inside a camper.just the air from the inside of the camper when you open the door. Chickens put off a lot of "scent particles" especially in a closed space.
I've never faced a bear, but I hope that I never have to lol.
Fortunately I never have either! Same risk as camping with a dog, small child ect. Just have to take precautions.....wild life is always a factor in camping in the great outdoors!!!

Well, possibly if they range outside some beaks would be ok, since mine that are in my camper coop only need occasional toenail trims. My d'uccle roo stayed inside from mid last summer until late spring and he needed both beak and nails at least 3 times! If it starts curling around the bottom it impares eating. Idk on the brick thing, they use their beaks to dig and that wears it doen so wiping on a brick may or may not. Mine wipe to clean their beak after eating.
How long do you range yours every day sylvester? I have not used a dremmel. I use dog nail trimmers, and since mine are lap birds it is a quick snip for toenails. I just lay them on the side i need up, inspect that foot's nails to see where the blood vein ends, then stretch each toe out and make my snips :) always leave a little on the end and don't go to the vein, much like a human fingernail.

Last edited:
The place we are camping is actually on the prairies, farms all around. It is coyote -- not bear -- country.

I suppose the tips I'm looking for are in regards to the five hour car ride. Once we're at the trailer I'll just set up the girls' cage like I do at home.

Diapers are a good idea. I hope they make them that small. Benita is a micro class Serama and not full grown yet. Jodie is a small a class.

Do any of you use a harness and leash on your chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom