people with house chickens

[/IMG]

There are No-Crow Rooster Collars available (MyPetChicken.com) that seem humane but I hesitate getting them for Silkies. They have a velcro attachment and Silkie fluff really gets tangled in velcro as we found out with chicken diapers. I had to make my own chicken diapers for our Silkies without velcro. Many people make items for chickens without taking into account the extra problem of Silkie fluff.

One of my two Serama pullets died today. Benita drowned. Someone left the toilet lid up. Her buddy, Jodie, is beside herself. They were brooder buddies and now Jodie is alone. At bedtime she was pacing and smashing about. She just settled down. I put a dark towel over her cage. I'm hoping that if I can find another Serama that she'll be ok.

One of my two Serama pullets died today. Benita drowned. Someone left the toilet lid up. Her buddy, Jodie, is beside herself. They were brooder buddies and now Jodie is alone. At bedtime she was pacing and smashing about. She just settled down. I put a dark towel over her cage. I'm hoping that if I can find another Serama that she'll be ok.
Oh, so-o-o senseless a loss! So sorry.

We had to re-home a cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet and bought another Silkie to be "friends" with the remaining pullet. After 2 years they are still not best buds. In fact the older Silkie prefers the company of LF and stays away from the newer Silkie. I thought I was doing the first Silkie a favor by getting her the same breed pullet but chickens - like people - pick their own friends.

Good luck with your Serama search.

Oh...I am so sorry
hugs.gif
I am completely paranoid about leaving all bathroom doors downstairs where mine can roam closed just for that reason! Hopefully you can find Jodie a buddy so she can relax. So sorry for your loss....

Oh, so-o-o senseless a loss!  So sorry.

We had to re-home a cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet and bought another Silkie to be "friends" with the remaining pullet.  After 2 years they are still not best buds.  In fact the older Silkie prefers the company of LF and stays away from the newer Silkie.  I thought I was doing the first Silkie a favor by getting her the same breed pullet but chickens - like people - pick their own friends.

Good luck with your Serama search.
my splash sizsle's best friend is an LF cochin. They are quite the pair in their fancy pants!

Thanks for your condolences. I'm trying not to be angry. We raised pedigreed cats for ten years and never once had an accident with kittens, many housed in bathrooms. (I no longer have a note above the toilet reminding users to keep the lid closed. BIG MISTAKE.)

I was really attached to Benita. She was so tiny, a "micro" Serama. I just bought her a hamster harness and leash.
hit.gif

I wish I could just let Jodie choose her own buddy, but I don't have any other chickens so I suppose I'll be taking a chance by bringing another critter home. Jody was a bit older than Benita. Benita was days old and huddled next to Jodie. I could get another chick that may cuddle her. If that doesn't work, I suppose separating them with wire might help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom