people with house chickens

PBGGG obviously these chicks are searching you out for a safe home. It does perplex me that the hens are hatching these babies but not mothering them it seems.

Pancake has been extra sweet lately though extra naughty too. She sat with me, well she stood I sat and read. Whole time she was standing pressed up against my side as I pet her while reading. Also she hasn't pooed on me in forever, just a bit ago she hoped down from the table she stood on watching me on my laptop and ran over and pooed away from where we are. Though she hasn't got back up on the table. I haven't been trying to potty train her but I think I could get her to potty train herself. Since she seems to poo in one area consistently.

Her naughtiness is wanting my toast, well my food in general she has to go up while I eat because she keep trying to help herself to my food. Before I could eat with her running around, not she wants what I eat. We discovered she 'acts out' when my mom is chicken sitting. Doing stuff she doesn't with me, getting into/on top of thing she knows she isn't allowed on with only my mom around. Then stops when I get home.
LOL yeah. There is one chick, about a week or two old I'd say, that keeps coming over and i'm constantly chasing it through the woods to get back home. I tried bringing this one inside but he didn't like it.
Nice of the neighbor to supply you with FREE chicks!
lau.gif

Are they mixed breed or are they an identifiable breed? Usually yellow chicks are White Leghorn and golden colored chicks can be Buff Orps, RIRs, or Red Sexlinks. Have any ideas? What are you doing with the cockerels?

It's nice that you can rescue these guys before the predators like cats, dogs, or hawks get them - such a cruel way to die. It's puzzling that the mother hen isn't watching them unless she's been attacked and gone. These little rescues don't look that old either. Have they started their juvenile feathers yet?

They're a mixed breed, the oldest one was born on Thursday I think. I see a mother hen next door walking around with about 4 chicks now, but they seem a lot older. Martine, the first chick, is starting to get some white wing feathers in. I have a picture of the parents somewhere.

If I get a lot of boys we will just make separate pens for them. From our first batch of baby chicks it seems 2 out of 4 are males. So if we do end up with 3 out of 5 males with this one, they will still have plenty of hens, I think. We have 9 hens that I am sure of, maybe 10 or 11. If the males get too aggressive we'll just buy (or take) more hens lol.

I'm pretty sure these guys are the parents- one of the brown ones and maybe the rooster. All of our chicks are very small so they're bantams, I think they only have bantams next door anyway.

Where can I get the best diapers? I don't want to have to buy several just to find out who actually knows how to make a diaper that stays on. I'm looking at Louises Country Closet on Etsy but I know someone here makes them, and there are several other designs on places like pampered poultry and hen holster.

Also, would a diaper that works on my OEGB and Sumatra work for my cochin and silkie (if purchased in the correct size of course). I just know silkies and cochins are just fluff balls, whereas my other two are super trim and slick.

LOL yeah. There is one chick, about a week or two old I'd say, that keeps coming over and i'm constantly chasing it through the woods to get back home. I tried bringing this one inside but he didn't like it.

They're a mixed breed, the oldest one was born on Thursday I think. I see a mother hen next door walking around with about 4 chicks now, but they seem a lot older. Martine, the first chick, is starting to get some white wing feathers in. I have a picture of the parents somewhere.

If I get a lot of boys we will just make separate pens for them. From our first batch of baby chicks it seems 2 out of 4 are males. So if we do end up with 3 out of 5 males with this one, they will still have plenty of hens, I think. We have 9 hens that I am sure of, maybe 10 or 11. If the males get too aggressive we'll just buy (or take) more hens lol.

I'm pretty sure these guys are the parents- one of the brown ones and maybe the rooster. All of our chicks are very small so they're bantams, I think they only have bantams next door anyway.
Wow I have a roo that looks exactly like that!!!!

Where can I get the best diapers? I don't want to have to buy several just to find out who actually knows how to make a diaper that stays on. I'm looking at Louises Country Closet on Etsy but I know someone here makes them, and there are several other designs on places like pampered poultry and hen holster.

Also, would a diaper that works on my OEGB and Sumatra work for my cochin and silkie (if purchased in the correct size of course). I just know silkies and cochins are just fluff balls, whereas my other two are super trim and slick.

I made my own diapers using youtube.com video pattern by chickenmom and doing a couple modifications. That way I could adjust my own Silkie diaper to fit from 2-lb to a 2.46-lb Silkie and without velcro which is murder on Silkie fluff. Buckles take time to slip into place so using snaps or a large safety pin is what we modified. It took a couple tries to get the fit right and to get the Silkies accustomed to walking in them. My DH held the straps over the back of the Silkie and forced them to walk forward for 30-60 seconds to get the hang of going forward and not backwards in diapers LOL. The Leghorns did well in them too. The only stubborn breed we had was an Ameraucana (my avatar) who sulked and wouldn't even stand let alone walk in diapers. After a week we stopped putting them on her because she refused to walk, move, eat, or drink while wearing one.

Last edited:

Interesting mixes. Bantams are supposed to be such good mothers - either they are very young broodies to make them lousy mommas or else the original mother of your chicks was attacked/gone. Of course bantams of any breed are inquisitive and the chicks might've just wandered off exploring onto your property like any curious youngsters.

House turkey!! That sounds adorable! I definitely need to see a picture of that.

For duck diapers I prefer Party Fowl, and for chicken diapers I like chickendiapers.com. It was much easier on Finn, he's built weird so he cant carry much weight and the diapers were really light and didn't dig into his skin.

Where can I get the best diapers? I don't want to have to buy several just to find out who actually knows how to make a diaper that stays on. I'm looking at Louises Country Closet on Etsy but I know someone here makes them, and there are several other designs on places like pampered poultry and hen holster. 

coral @Poco Pollo makes them. She's on the okie thread and she made a post on this thread about her diapers.

Back
Top Bottom