people with house chickens

I don't know about TC but I certainly would like to see how you made your no-shoulder-straps diaper.  I have an Ameraucana (my avatar) who absolutely hates diapers and refuses to walk, eat, or move when we put one on her.  She is my freedom-loving girl and hates to be confined/restricted - really spoiled. 

Sure thing! I'll take pictures tomorrow
1f609.png

Radbird was the same way.. Absolutely REFUSED to wear the four different diapers I bought her
1f61d.png
but I threw one together when I had the idea for the band and she adjusted her feathers a bit then just went about her business, flying up on things and chasing the dog with no issues! It's relatively simple, and easier enough for someone who had never before touched a sewing machine. I found the easiest route was just straps and small safety pins vs. other fasteners both to withstand Rads activity level and for adjustability, I call if the ft. Knox of chicken diapers!
1f606.png

How often do you have to change the diaper? My friend has 5 housepet chickens 2 serama hens, a silkie hen and 2 silkie roosters. Even when she had one silkie she didn't want the trouble of changing diapers. She has them going "commando " through her house, and just continually wipes up after them.

I have been in her house several times and I don't smell anything bad - she doesn't use air fresheners or anything else. I guess her method works for her but I know it must be a lot more trouble that letting them outside like a dog. BTW she only lets her favorite silkie out in the yard - the others have never had the pleasure of green grass, fresh air, real sun.

I have argued with her till I'm hoarse, she sees nothing wrong with keeping the others as virtual prisoners . Yet she is furious they scratch up her carpeting either hoping for bugs or a dust bath. I told her THAT is what chickens do.

Awww...I have a house chicken...meaning she lives inside and sleeps inside, but during the day she has free access to the backyard to hunt for bugs, dust and do chicken things. I take her out front a couple hours each day as well because there are lots of great bushes and dirt that have bugs. I couldn't imagine never letting her outside to enjoy doing her chicken-thing. She will also tap on the door or run outside to go to the bathroom believe it or not. She started this because she refused to go to the bathroom in her house and so I took her outside, she would go...repeat...and it became a habit
idunno.gif
If she can't get outside in time and does go to the bathroom inside...she has her "favorite " spot by the back door...on tile for easy clean-up. We lucked out with her
thumbsup.gif

I have to admit, I am loving having my chickenbabies live indoors with me while they get big enough to cope with the great outdoors! I don't think I'll be able to convince anyone to let me keep them inside though :( This is Doodledoo my six week old roo and he loooves cuddles. He'll shun the heatlamp to sit in my lap, especially if I'm trying to work.

Has anyone else noticed their chickens watching TV? The Dood is absolutely fascinated by it. That and words appearing on the screen of my laptop...

I have to admit, I am loving having my chickenbabies live indoors with me while they get big enough to cope with the great outdoors! I don't think I'll be able to convince anyone to let me keep them inside though :( This is Doodledoo my six week old roo and he loooves cuddles. He'll shun the heatlamp to sit in my lap, especially if I'm trying to work.

Has anyone else noticed their chickens watching TV? The Dood is absolutely fascinated by it. That and words appearing on the screen of my laptop...

Put a radio in a chicken coop and watch them crowd around the speakers. If we have a chicken indoors in the hospital pen we leave talk-radio on while we're gone so the chicken isn't lonely. I had a chick that loved to go to sleep on my warm laptop keyboard.

Is Marvin continuously kept in a crate or does he get leg room exercise? I couldn't quite understand what you do with him? Our small indoor dog kennel is 4'x4' but we only keep one chicken at a time in it and usually only for illness, quarantine, or temporary isolation.
Marvin gets a lot of outside time! He only stays in his large dog carrier during the night which is directly behind me in the porch room here! My husband will put him outside after he gets up each morning! Marvin is actually standing at the door right now, knocking on it too, to come back inside! LOL I hate seeing anything penned/chained up for life. Our kids get lots of freedom!

TC

How often do you have to change the diaper? My friend has 5 housepet chickens 2 serama hens, a silkie hen and 2 silkie roosters. Even when she had one silkie she didn't want the trouble of changing diapers. She has them going "commando " through her house, and just continually wipes up after them.

I have been in her house several times and I don't smell anything bad - she doesn't use air fresheners or anything else. I guess her method works for her but I know it must be a lot more trouble that letting them outside like a dog. BTW she only lets her favorite silkie out in the yard - the others have never had the pleasure of green grass, fresh air, real sun.

I have argued with her till I'm hoarse, she sees nothing wrong with keeping the others as virtual prisoners . Yet she is furious they scratch up her carpeting either hoping for bugs or a dust bath. I told her THAT is what chickens do.
A friend of mine that died several years ago said: "Chickens ain't happy unless they're scratching!" Ohhhhh how right he is! During the winter time I grow grass in pans for my indoor kids to eat. I take a pair of scissors and cut the tops off the grass blades to feed them. It's like watching kids with cookies. LOL They all come up with green mustaches! Grass hanging out of their beaks on each side! There are many a chicken that never touch the ground. However? She can get a cardboard box and put dirt in it for them to dust in! She can also use another box to put cut grass in it for them to scratch in. I put seeds in it to give them something to find while scratching! Keeps them happy and entertained for a long time!

TC

It's actually healthy for chickens to get in a good dust-bath every day. A kiddie pool filled with sifted yard dirt outside is a chicken's joy. It's good for their feathers, good for lice protection, good for happy chickens. Chickens like to sun-bathe too on hot concrete in hot sunshine. Indoors happens occasionally with our hens but they want to go back outside almost immediately where the dirt, and the grass, and the bugs are. We had an indoor Silkie that was too young for the outside flock so we let her outside during the day with a rabbit fencing between her and the outside flock where they could see each other until we were ready to introduce her completely to the flock. She would come inside at night to sleep on her favourite kitchen chair that we had to lift her up to it (we put a thick towel under her in case she soiled but she seldom did). Once she was totally integrated to the outside she only comes inside occasionally to beg a treat and then quickly goes back out again. She's the alpha hen now so she doesn't want to lose her place in the pecking order outside.

I sleep with chickens too, and cats, dogs, whatever fits.

when you get up pee, do you have to fight for your spot back?

Back
Top Bottom