people with house chickens

Sadly I think Topaz could be a boy even though personality wise Topaz seems mostly hen. We've had crowing at time mostly when they are distressed about being alone. Asher comb and wattles are rarther red too.

It really sucks that we have all these potential signs and my mom insisits Topaz might still be a girl and it is stressing me out. :(

It's still not set in stone though, Rad was a crower and had very red wattles, but then she started laying
1f609.png

Well fingers crossed or I will have a house rooster rather then a house hen. Well as long as Topaz isn't noisy and a brat if she turns into a roo, it is so hard to tell if I have a he or a she with Topaz being a 3 way mix.

When did Rad start laying?

She is a modern/American game cross! Extremely "fighty"

I didn't know that! I'm so happy to be able to cuddle her again! She was well loved by those who watched her for me.. The beefy stuffed nacho from Taco Bell was her favorite, but they just discontinued it so I'll know it's off limits now
1f609.png
How about KFC biscuits?

It's just things containing onions, chocolate, avocado, and a few other people foods that can harm dogs, chickens, cats, etc. Outside of having no nutrition whatsoever because of the depleted nutrients in white flour, white sugar, refined flours, biscuits can do no harm to chickens. We feed our chickens the nutritionally sprouted grains breads that only last a couple days before they mold so we keep the loaves in the freezer and thaw out one slice at a time for the hens. Chickens will eat anything out of curiosity, even styrofoam, and most stuff doesn't harm them - here's websites I always find helpful:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html
https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/poisonous-plants-chickens/
http://www.grit.com/animals/common-...-to-dogs-cats-and-chickens.aspx#axzz3KpE7wOXl

I have determined one thing, Topas seems to only crow to make sure I wake up in the morning. Well now I have a living alarm clock.
barnie.gif

Well if Topaz is a really boy and that is the only time 'he' crows I'll keep him as long as possible. People can get over it because the locals blast their music louder then the crowing.

I have determined one thing, Topas seems to only crow to make sure I wake up in the morning. Well now I have a living alarm clock.
barnie.gif

Well if Topaz is a really boy and that is the only time 'he' crows I'll keep him as long as possible. People can get over it because the locals blast their music louder then the crowing.

With cockerels the crowing is usually in the early morning and sometimes at dusk. However we had one that liked to suddenly crow at 1 or 2 a.m. and scared us out of a sound sleep - haha!

With cockerels the crowing is usually in the early morning and sometimes at dusk.  However we had one that liked to suddenly crow at 1 or 2 a.m. and scared us out of a sound sleep - haha!

I heard one of those recently when we where outside late a few blocks away a rooster was crowing like mad. Obviously no one cared or could get him to stop. Because it went on and on. Thankfully Topaz has kept it to late morning starting no earlier then 8am.

Also rather sure we have a boy now I noticed pointed saddle feathers coming in. My dad is a shock and said as long as Topaz is only crowing in my room he can stay. So fingers crossed that we get no aggression but I don't think we will. His dad didn't attack me when I went rummaging around in the hen house for eggs awhile back at dusk. He just hen alarm called which was funny and cute.

Started diaper training last night with the diaper I have Topaz took to wearing it pretty well.

Started diaper training last night with the diaper I have Topaz took to wearing it pretty well.
Topaz sounds like a winner. The boys seem to be sweeter than hens as pets. Diapering a boy should be better than a girl because it isn't pleasant to retrieve hen eggs out of diapers. Keeping our hens in-house for us is strictly for illnesses only because of their egg-laying.

I spend most of my time on the House Duck Thread because my main lady is ChaCha the house duck =) BUT I've just become the proud chicken momma of a sweet orpington crossbeak who will be joining our indoor family =D I wanted to come over and introduce her to all the other adorable house chickens!

Question for all you silkie chicken owners - how do you keep their vent feathers clean? I have a pair of blue silkies that are SO sweet I can't hardly believe it! I want to diaper them and bring them in for snuggles! But even undiapered and outside they always seem to have poop streaked down their feathers? I've been keeping a close eye on them, and there isn't any irritation or runnier-than-average poop. What do you guys do to help keep them clean?

I'm thinking she might be "Buttercup"

I spend most of my time on the House Duck Thread because my main lady is ChaCha the house duck =) BUT I've just become the proud chicken momma of a sweet orpington crossbeak who will be joining our indoor family =D I wanted to come over and introduce her to all the other adorable house chickens!

Question for all you silkie chicken owners - how do you keep their vent feathers clean? I have a pair of blue silkies that are SO sweet I can't hardly believe it! I want to diaper them and bring them in for snuggles! But even undiapered and outside they always seem to have poop streaked down their feathers? I've been keeping a close eye on them, and there isn't any irritation or runnier-than-average poop. What do you guys do to help keep them clean?

I'm thinking she might be "Buttercup"

Awwww..bless your heart for taking care of her
hugs.gif
I love her color! I hatched out a quail crossbeak but was unsuccessful in keeping her healthy and lost her after 2 weeks
hit.gif
Can't really help with the messy butt issue....my house girl is a Bantam Cochin
love.gif

Awwww..bless your heart for taking care of her :hugs I love her color! I hatched out a quail crossbeak but was unsuccessful in keeping her healthy and lost her after 2 weeks :hit   Can't really help with the messy butt issue....my house girl is a Bantam Cochin :love

I adore her! She is such a sweetie!

I love bantam cochins! The little fluff balls just crack me up! I've always wanted one. You're so lucky =D

Back
Top Bottom