people with house chickens

Yes...we are in love with our girl Peep! I hatched her in my classroom having no idea what she was at the time...she was just so much smaller than the other chicks. She was so friendly and followed me around everywhere, wanted to be held...so I kept her! She was the first chick I had actually kept for my self and my introduction to the crazy world of house chickens! Now I am ADDICTED for sure and love Bantam Cochins
love.gif
I have also gotten my friends into Bantam Cochins after having them meet my girl
celebrate.gif
My girl is actually a Bantam cochin/silkie cross
love.gif

Last edited:
I spend most of my time on the House Duck Thread because my main lady is ChaCha the house duck =) BUT I've just become the proud chicken momma of a sweet orpington crossbeak who will be joining our indoor family =D I wanted to come over and introduce her to all the other adorable house chickens!

Question for all you silkie chicken owners - how do you keep their vent feathers clean? I have a pair of blue silkies that are SO sweet I can't hardly believe it! I want to diaper them and bring them in for snuggles! But even undiapered and outside they always seem to have poop streaked down their feathers? I've been keeping a close eye on them, and there isn't any irritation or runnier-than-average poop. What do you guys do to help keep them clean?

I'm thinking she might be "Buttercup"

OMG! How has Buttercup managed to live so well with a crossed beak? I've read how to correct them but it has to be started as chicks. GL with her - she has such a sweet face!

We kept a Silkie pullet in-house in diapers until she was 6 m/o and until she was big enough to integrate with the outdoor flock. We had her in a diaper by day and removed it at night - washed her tush with baby shampoo every night in the bathroom sink and blow-dried her before putting her in her kennel. Silkies are our easiest chicken breed to spot wash and blow dry because their feathers have no barbicels and the "fur" blow dries rapidly. Our fluffy underdown Ameraucana takes 4x longer to wash and blow dry! All our chickens seem to like the warm air of the blow dryer. One of our Silkies will tap on the portable heater for us to turn on because she wants to sit in front of the fan to feel it blow through her fluffy fur.

As for the outdoor Silkies their tush feathers might occasionally show a small amount of stuck-on poop or muddy dust-bath dirt but it usually wears off naturally in a day or two. It's during egg-laying cycles where the tush might get really caked with debris - we keep an eye out and if it looks like it isn't clearing on its own we will baby shampoo the vent feathers gently and blow dry (at roost time) and while we're at it we will use organic Poultry Protector following directions, massage vitamin E oil into the feathered legs and feet of the Silkie (per our vet's recommendation), and give just one drop of children's no iron Poly-Vi-Sol vitamin on the side of the beak as a maintenance treat. Overnight the E oil absorbs into the feet and feathers on the legs with no greasy residue. When we had chicken breeds with big combs in the winter we used the vit E oil instead of greasy vaseline for winter comb protection. The E oil absorbs and is good for the skin while not leaving a greasy residue on the birds' feathers. We put E oil on the face skin, walnut comb, beak, legs, feet, toes, and toe feathers of all our breeds of chickens routinely at least once a month - their dust baths really dry up their exposed skin areas. One of our older Silkies has trouble keeping her eyes open they get so dry around the lid so she gets more frequent E oil applications around the face.

Yes...we are in love with our girl Peep! I hatched her in my classroom having no idea what she was at the time...she was just so much smaller than the other chicks. She was so friendly and followed me around everywhere, wanted to be held...so I kept her! She was the first chick I had actually kept for my self and my introduction to the crazy world of house chickens! Now I am ADDICTED for sure and love Bantam Cochins :love  I have also gotten my friends into Bantam Cochins after having them meet my girl :celebrate  My girl is actually a Bantam cochin/silkie cross :love

Awwww! That's such a sweet story! I have hatched lots of classroom chickens, but we always hatch serama eggs from my flock because I know I can find them good homes after the hatch. One day I'll have a herd of all adorable bantams! One day...

[COLOR=0000CD]OMG!  How has Buttercup managed to live so well with a crossed beak?  I've read how to correct them but it has to be started as chicks.  GL with her - she has such a sweet face![/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]We kept a Silkie pullet in-house in diapers until she was 6 m/o and until she was big enough to integrate with the outdoor flock.  We had her in a diaper by day and removed it at night - washed her tush with baby shampoo every night in the bathroom sink and blow-dried her before putting her in her kennel.  Silkies are our easiest chicken breed to spot wash and blow dry because their feathers have no barbicels and the "fur" blow dries rapidly.  Our fluffy underdown Ameraucana takes 4x longer to wash and blow dry!  All our chickens seem to like the warm air of the blow dryer.  One of our Silkies will tap on the portable heater for us to turn on because she wants to sit in front of the fan to feel it blow through her fluffy fur.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]As for the outdoor Silkies their tush feathers might occasionally show a small amount of stuck-on poop or muddy dust-bath dirt but it usually wears off naturally in a day or two.  It's during egg-laying cycles where the tush might get really caked with debris - we keep an eye out and if it looks like it isn't clearing on its own we will baby shampoo the vent feathers gently and blow dry (at roost time) and while we're at it we will use organic Poultry Protector following directions, massage vitamin E oil into the feathered legs and feet of the Silkie (per our vet's recommendation), and give just one drop of children's no iron Poly-Vi-Sol vitamin on the side of the beak as a maintenance treat.  Overnight the E oil absorbs into the feet and feathers on the legs with no greasy residue.  When we had chicken breeds with big combs in the winter we used the vit E oil instead of greasy vaseline for winter comb protection.  The E oil absorbs and is good for the skin while not leaving a greasy residue on the birds' feathers.  We put E oil on the face skin, walnut comb, beak, legs, feet, toes, and toe feathers of all our breeds of chickens routinely at least once a month - their dust baths really dry up their exposed skin areas.  One of our older Silkies has trouble keeping her eyes open they get so dry around the lid so she gets more frequent E oil applications around the face. [/COLOR]

I actually got her from a lady that does lots of special needs poultry rescue. The owner didn't even know she HAD a crossbeak, so how she survived this long is beyond me! She figured out the nipple water system pretty fast so she might have the brains to make up for her physical disability. I hope she lives a long happy life here with us. I really miss my first crossbeak Lady. She was my baby. She got baths and blow dried too. I'll have to try it on my silkies! I love their funky fuzzy bodies hehe

Hello everyone. Not sure if any of you remember me or my house chicken Sunni, or how much you recall if you do remember her or I. I haven't been coming on much at all. But I just thought I would share that I just added a new little member to the house chicken family. He's a Kentucky Speck bantam, and his name is Stephen (pronounced like it looks, just so nobody confuses it with Steven), and he's 3 months old.

I just received Stephen from my boyfriend down in Arkansas on Wednesday morning. It was quite stressful getting him here, because he was supposed to arrive at the post office by 3:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon, exactly 24 hours after he was shipped. And it got to be 5:30 pm Tuesday night and he wasn't there. I went to the post office and nobody could figure out where he was or when he would arrive, and the tracking hadn't been updated in over 24 hours. But I finally got a call very early in the morning on Wednesday, and he's here safe and sound. :)

Here are some pictures of Mr Stephen and his big sister, Sunni.

Stephen has been alone ever since his one sibling died at 3 weeks, and he has only ever seen very small chicks and a small bantam hen before. So Ms Sunni's size came as quite a shock to him. And he is very intimidated by her. Sunni hasn't been around another chicken in almost two years either, so she isn't quite sure what to think about our new arrival. But we are making slow progress. Hopefully soon they'll start trusting each other more. :)

I'm going to be trying to come on more to post little things here and there about Sunni and Stephen, and read about all of your house chickens. I would love to try to get back into the house chicken community.

Awwww! That's such a sweet story! I have hatched lots of classroom chickens, but we always hatch serama eggs from my flock because I know I can find them good homes after the hatch. One day I'll have a herd of all adorable bantams! One day...
I actually got her from a lady that does lots of special needs poultry rescue. The owner didn't even know she HAD a crossbeak, so how she survived this long is beyond me! She figured out the nipple water system pretty fast so she might have the brains to make up for her physical disability. I hope she lives a long happy life here with us. I really miss my first crossbeak Lady. She was my baby. She got baths and blow dried too. I'll have to try it on my silkies! I love their funky fuzzy bodies hehe

We' ve had a lot of pet birds from the canary and parrot species but the barnyard poultry has always been our favourite birds. Something special about chickens, ducks, and geese! Never had turkeys so can't speak of them except they are very pretty -- our farm neighbors had beautiful peacocks but they were very noisy.

I do hope the best for your little rescue -- really really cute little face!

When shampooing Silkies I never give them total immersion baths -- I'll just wash the area that's soiled and only use the shallow bath sink with running warm water. If the crest gets gunked I'll use a warm solft washcloth to gently work out the dirt so I don't get any water into their little eyes or nostrils. If there's gunk on the vent area I'll gently use my fingers to work out the debris -- the no tears baby shampoo is great for loosening the gunk off the feathers. The Silkies seem to like the warm water running on their vent and like the hair dryer on their feathers. I thought it was because the Silkies were easy to handle but we found all the different chicken breeds seem to like the warm water tush baths and blow dries.

Hello everyone. Not sure if any of you remember me or my house chicken Sunni, or how much you recall if you do remember her or I. I haven't been coming on much at all. But I just thought I would share that I just added a new little member to the house chicken family. He's a Kentucky Speck bantam, and his name is Stephen (pronounced like it looks, just so nobody confuses it with Steven), and he's 3 months old.

I just received Stephen from my boyfriend down in Arkansas on Wednesday morning. It was quite stressful getting him here, because he was supposed to arrive at the post office by 3:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon, exactly 24 hours after he was shipped. And it got to be 5:30 pm Tuesday night and he wasn't there. I went to the post office and nobody could figure out where he was or when he would arrive, and the tracking hadn't been updated in over 24 hours. But I finally got a call very early in the morning on Wednesday, and he's here safe and sound.
smile.png

Here are some pictures of Mr Stephen and his big sister, Sunni.

Stephen has been alone ever since his one sibling died at 3 weeks, and he has only ever seen very small chicks and a small bantam hen before. So Ms Sunni's size came as quite a shock to him. And he is very intimidated by her. Sunni hasn't been around another chicken in almost two years either, so she isn't quite sure what to think about our new arrival. But we are making slow progress. Hopefully soon they'll start trusting each other more.
smile.png

I'm going to be trying to come on more to post little things here and there about Sunni and Stephen, and read about all of your house chickens. I would love to try to get back into the house chicken community.

Sunni of course will always be a large breed chicken but Stephen is young yet and still has more growing to do at least until he's 6 months and then he'll fill out muscle after that. I have to integrate a new pullet to my old flock and will be doing it gradually for a couple weeks with a divider fence where they'll see each other but not touch while in the backyard. After a couple weeks I'll be putting the new pullet in to roost in the coop with a screen dividing her. Then take her out in the morning on her side of the fence. I have gentle breeds so hopefully the transition won't be traumatic. Even if birds aren't the best of buddies they still are flock birds and like the companionship of another chicken.

We' ve had a lot of pet birds from the canary and parrot species but the barnyard poultry has always been our favourite birds.  Something special about chickens, ducks, and geese!  Never had turkeys so can't speak of them except they are very pretty -- our farm neighbors had beautiful peacocks but they were very noisy.  

I do hope the best for your little rescue -- really really cute little face!

When shampooing Silkies I never give them total immersion baths -- I'll just wash the area that's soiled and only use the shallow bath sink with running warm water.  If the crest gets gunked I'll use a warm solft washcloth to gently work out the dirt so I don't get any water into their little eyes or nostrils.  If there's gunk on the vent area I'll gently use my fingers to work out the debris -- the no tears baby shampoo is great for loosening the gunk off the feathers.  The Silkies seem to like the warm water running on their vent and like the hair dryer on their feathers. I thought it was because the Silkies were easy to handle but we found all the different chicken breeds seem to like the warm water tush baths and blow dries.  

I'm really impressed with Buttercup. She's pro at the water nipples now, it's awesome! She still gets her own bowl of food because of bullying, but I'm hoping as the old LF ladies slowly die out she'll be safer and more comfortable with just all the little bantams.

It's been pouring rain here lately so a bath seems silly, especially because the silkies like to stand in the rain so they look like a sad soggy bag of bones lol I'm excited to try washing them soon!

I'm really impressed with Buttercup. She's pro at the water nipples now, it's awesome! She still gets her own bowl of food because of bullying, but I'm hoping as the old LF ladies slowly die out she'll be safer and more comfortable with just all the little bantams.

It's been pouring rain here lately so a bath seems silly, especially because the silkies like to stand in the rain so they look like a sad soggy bag of bones lol I'm excited to try washing them soon!

Yes, the disabled birds need to be watched and protected because chickens are just not nice to each other in spite of how much we love them! The hens are smart to pick up on a sick or injured bird very quickly and can be brutal towards the injured bird. LF are offenders simply because they are heavier, larger, and can get away with such bullying against gentler or weaker birds. Sounds like you have that all figured out for Buttercup.

Don't want to alarm you but just passing along some good advice given to me by a Silkie owner. Because of the lack of feather barbicels that give them their silkied feathers rain doesn't roll off their feathers like hard-feathered chicken breeds. We allow our Silkies in very light sprinkles outdoors but if it is either cold, windy, or more than light sprinkles outdoors we don't let them get soaked. They do chill easily if wet to the skin. Silkies want to splash in the mud puddles like all the other chickens but if it is rainy, cold, or windy, we keep them out of the yard. Some heavy rain spells we might not let any of our chickens outdoors at all. However on average sporadic rainy days we might let them out for an hour or two when the rain has completely stopped but herd them back to the coop for lockup if the rains start again. Hard-feathered breeds don't seem to be bothered by rainy days and most have the good sense to hang out under shelter but Silkies will get soaked really fast so shelter doesn't protect them from wind and cold.

I spend most of my time on the House Duck Thread because my main lady is ChaCha the house duck =) BUT I've just become the proud chicken momma of a sweet orpington crossbeak who will be joining our indoor family =D I wanted to come over and introduce her to all the other adorable house chickens! Question for all you silkie chicken owners - how do you keep their vent feathers clean? I have a pair of blue silkies that are SO sweet I can't hardly believe it! I want to diaper them and bring them in for snuggles! But even undiapered and outside they always seem to have poop streaked down their feathers? I've been keeping a close eye on them, and there isn't any irritation or runnier-than-average poop. What do you guys do to help keep them clean? I'm thinking she might be "Buttercup"
Oh my goodness! She's just a doll! I love Buff Orps. They are such a fun breed. Do you hand feed her, or is she able to eat on her own?

Yes, the disabled birds need to be watched and protected because chickens are just not nice to each other in spite of how much we love them!  The hens are smart to pick up on a sick or injured bird very quickly and can be brutal towards the injured bird.  LF are offenders simply because they are heavier, larger, and can get away with such bullying against gentler or weaker birds.  Sounds like you have that all figured out for Buttercup.

Don't want to alarm you but just passing along some good advice given to me by a Silkie owner.  Because of the lack of feather barbicels that give them their silkied feathers rain doesn't roll off their feathers like hard-feathered chicken breeds.  We allow our Silkies in very light sprinkles outdoors but if it is either cold, windy, or more than light sprinkles outdoors we don't let them get soaked.  They do chill easily if wet to the skin.  Silkies want to splash in the mud puddles like all the other chickens but if it is rainy, cold, or windy, we keep them out of the yard.  Some heavy rain spells we might not let any of our chickens outdoors at all.  However on average sporadic rainy days we might let them out for an hour or two when the rain has completely stopped but herd them back to the coop for lockup if the rains start again.  Hard-feathered breeds don't seem to be bothered by rainy days and most have the good sense to hang out under shelter but Silkies will get soaked really fast so shelter doesn't protect them from wind and cold.

Thankfully I've got a pretty chill group of ladies. Only Big Momma really picks on the others, but she's the matriarch of the group lol she hatches a clutch For me every summer now that her egg years are behind her, and will let anyone smuggle up under her on cold nights. I think she's a softie at heart. Buttercup is definitely better off with just Big Momma and the occasional broody to fend off than the flock of 50 in 24sq ft that she came from. But they've had special birds in their flock before so I can keep a good eye on her =)

It's summer rain here so it cools to the 90s when it pours.Sometimes there's some wind but usually wind and rain storm separately around here. I've had a white some for about 2 years now and she just does what the others do, no special treatment for her because she hates people. Hopefully This little blue hewn will do just as fine doing what the flock does because I have no way to separate them. I've got a big wooden dog house up on cover blocks for a coop inside a 12 x 12 covered run. They only come out of the run when I can watch them because we have hawks. I work a school all day so whatever happens is out of my hands until I'm home, and I'd feel mean locking all the other girls out of the coop all day, they are really good about going in there for weather protection when they need it. I guess I'll have to watch this new silkie for the weekend and see if her temperature is dropping when she gets all wet.

Back
Top Bottom