people with house chickens

Hello everyone. Not sure if any of you remember me or my house chicken Sunni, or how much you recall if you do remember her or I. I haven't been coming on much at all. But I just thought I would share that I just added a new little member to the house chicken family. He's a Kentucky Speck bantam, and his name is Stephen (pronounced like it looks, just so nobody confuses it with Steven), and he's 3 months old.

I just received Stephen from my boyfriend down in Arkansas on Wednesday morning. It was quite stressful getting him here, because he was supposed to arrive at the post office by 3:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon, exactly 24 hours after he was shipped. And it got to be 5:30 pm Tuesday night and he wasn't there. I went to the post office and nobody could figure out where he was or when he would arrive, and the tracking hadn't been updated in over 24 hours. But I finally got a call very early in the morning on Wednesday, and he's here safe and sound.
smile.png

Here are some pictures of Mr Stephen and his big sister, Sunni.

Stephen has been alone ever since his one sibling died at 3 weeks, and he has only ever seen very small chicks and a small bantam hen before. So Ms Sunni's size came as quite a shock to him. And he is very intimidated by her. Sunni hasn't been around another chicken in almost two years either, so she isn't quite sure what to think about our new arrival. But we are making slow progress. Hopefully soon they'll start trusting each other more.
smile.png

I'm going to be trying to come on more to post little things here and there about Sunni and Stephen, and read about all of your house chickens. I would love to try to get back into the house chicken community.

@MsChickenMomma Hey, it's been a while! I haven't posted on this thread for a while either. You remember me, right? I have the black silkie-Cochin named Ebony. I'm glad to see that Sunni is still doing well and that she has a new companion! Stephen is adorable. I love those mini roosters! I used to have some OEGB roosters until my neighbors complained.

Ebony and her sisters are doing well. We recently got 3 laying hens; 2 BSLs and an easter egger. Ebony has taken them under her wing (figuratively and literally) and raised them. I'm hoping that they will start laying in the coming months. Ebony, my other silkie girls and the 3 new ones have been staying outside all summer, but I will most likely bring Ebony and the other two silkie girls back inside for the winter.

Stephen is adorable - I wish your photos enlarged, I kept trying to make them but, they just wouldn't. Will he get his own diaper too?

Stephen is adorable - I wish your photos enlarged,  I kept trying to make them but, they just wouldn't.  Will he get his own diaper too?

Oh, sorry! I posted them from a mobile device. I'll try and get some better pictures of him and post them tomorrow. He will be getting a diaper once he is fully grown. He is much too small for them right now though. The smallest diaper from the place that I order allow Sunnis diapers from is still way too large on him. But hopefully within 2-3 months he'll be able to wear one and then have some more freedom around the house. :)

Sorry about the pictures. I'll get some new ones uploaded asap

Oh, sorry! I posted them from a mobile device. I'll try and get some better pictures of him and post them tomorrow. He will be getting a diaper once he is fully grown. He is much too small for them right now though. The smallest diaper from the place that I order allow Sunnis diapers from is still way too large on him. But hopefully within 2-3 months he'll be able to wear one and then have some more freedom around the house. :)

Look up Chicken Diapers By Sky on Facebook. Her diapers are impeccably well made and work quite well! They are more bantam oriented and she even made me some thy I specially designed to be totally unrestricting.

If you're interested, I make serama chicken diapers that would definitely be small enough for him =)

Look up Chicken Diapers By Sky on Facebook. Her diapers are impeccably well made and work quite well! They are more bantam oriented and she even made me some thy I specially designed to be totally unrestricting.

Thank you. I'll see what I can find. I have tried lots of handmade diapers for Sunni, and she is just so active and preens so much that I can never get the diapers to stay up over her vent. The only ones that I have found that work for her are the wrap around style diapers from crazy k farms. I was thinking of just trying the same thing for Stephen. But I'll look into these when the time comes :)

If you're interested, I make serama chicken diapers that would definitely be small enough for him =)

Thank you for the offer! :) But I think I am just going to hold off on diapering him for a bit. Give him the chance to really get settled into his new home, and let him get used to Sunni before I bust out the diapers. Thankfully he just has tiny little poops that are easy to clean :lol:

That's the best part of tiny chickens! I found I really only NEEDED a diaper overnight when my little rooster would roost on my bedpost haha

Thank you. I'll see what I can find. I have tried lots of handmade diapers for Sunni, and she is just so active and preens so much that I can never get the diapers to stay up over her vent. The only ones that I have found that work for her are the wrap around style diapers from crazy k farms. I was thinking of just trying the same thing for Stephen. But I'll look into these when the time comes :)
Thank you for the offer! :) But I think I am just going to hold off on diapering him for a bit. Give him the chance to really get settled into his new home, and let him get used to Sunni before I bust out the diapers. Thankfully he just has tiny little poops that are easy to clean :lol:

Back
Top Bottom