people with house chickens

That's the best part of tiny chickens! I found I really only NEEDED a diaper overnight when my little rooster would roost on my bedpost haha

I know right! :lol: The only time I wish I had a diaper for him is when he decides to fall sleep on my head or chest at night. Otherwise I can deal with the tiny poops everywhere. Lol!

As promised, some more pictures of Stephen.
smile.png

And then of course a few pictures of Ms. Sunni

Thankfully I've got a pretty chill group of ladies. Only Big Momma really picks on the others, but she's the matriarch of the group lol she hatches a clutch For me every summer now that her egg years are behind her, and will let anyone smuggle up under her on cold nights. I think she's a softie at heart. Buttercup is definitely better off with just Big Momma and the occasional broody to fend off than the flock of 50 in 24sq ft that she came from. But they've had special birds in their flock before so I can keep a good eye on her =)

It's summer rain here so it cools to the 90s when it pours.Sometimes there's some wind but usually wind and rain storm separately around here. I've had a white some for about 2 years now and she just does what the others do, no special treatment for her because she hates people. Hopefully This little blue hewn will do just as fine doing what the flock does because I have no way to separate them. I've got a big wooden dog house up on cover blocks for a coop inside a 12 x 12 covered run. They only come out of the run when I can watch them because we have hawks. I work a school all day so whatever happens is out of my hands until I'm home, and I'd feel mean locking all the other girls out of the coop all day, they are really good about going in there for weather protection when they need it. I guess I'll have to watch this new silkie for the weekend and see if her temperature is dropping when she gets all wet.

Sounds like you have good experience with chickens. I've had our backyard flock for 4 years and still keep learning about Silkies. Even in 90 degree heat when it rains, if a Silkie is soaked, the light breeze in the air brings the wind chill temperature lower so still not good to have a soaked Silkie since chicken body temp is over 100 F.

Wow lots happened when I didn't pay attention. Poor Stephen getting lost in the mail how horrible for him. Also maazing that that little girl with cross beak lived so long.

Poor Topaz is an ichy little guy right now all these feathers coming in on him. He is Beautiful. He fusses so much whenever the diaper goes on mostly because I think it is rubbing a new feather wrong. Has anyone cut back feathers on feet? I know you have to be careful but I had to do this for Topaz, because they where irritating him so much because they where so long. I only did it on the feathers I was sure weren't going to bleed.

I'm intrigued buy the idea of a house chicken. I have 5 girls. They started laying just this week. This is my second flock. This time no roo. They are the sweetest chickens. I can pick them up any time pet them talk to them. My husband likes them because they are outdoor pets. He likes the chickens, but he likes that they live outside. I carried one in the other day. I wanted a selfie pic with her but left the phone in the bedroom. Well I carried her in, down the hall and into the bedroom you should have seen my cat 's eyes! Bwala a house chicken! Close as I'll ever get. They would be great house chickens.

Wow lots happened when I didn't pay attention. Poor Stephen getting lost in the mail how horrible for him. Also maazing that that little girl with cross beak lived so long.

Poor Topaz is an ichy little guy right now all these feathers coming in on him. He is Beautiful. He fusses so much whenever the diaper goes on mostly because I think it is rubbing a new feather wrong. Has anyone cut back feathers on feet? I know you have to be careful but I had to do this for Topaz, because they where irritating him so much because they where so long. I only did it on the feathers I was sure weren't going to bleed.

I had a Breda cockerel a couple months ago (now re-homed) and he was about 5 months old. He was going through having his adult feathers coming in. Bredas have exceptionally long long long leg and toe feathers (not the soft fluffy feathering like Silkies) so he was constantly chewing at his leg quills coming in and if he made a quill root bleed, he would chew even more. Using Bitter Apple spray did not deter his chewing or chewing from the other chicken who was drawn to the raw areas and blood - his feet or toes would bleed 2 or 3x a day from chewing. In desperation I took narrow first-aid white paper tape (not the pinkish veterinary stretchy tape) and wound the paper tape around the leg quill - I sprayed with antibacterial and then wrapped the tape not too tight nor too loose around the irritated quill root. The cockerel had chewed a spot raw one on each leg and on one outer toe. The paper tape went around one toe and continued up to cover the leg quill too. When the Breda couldn't see the raw spots on his feet/legs he stopped chewing and the other chicken stopped chewing on his feet too. The papery first-aid tape is very thin and light and it didn't get in the way of his normal walking mobility and allowed the new quills to continue growing. A week later the paper tape started to unravel and behold his wounds were healed and there was new quill growth and he no longer chewed at the roots.

We currently have a Breda pullet and she has huge flipper-feathered feet too and occasionally as she grooms the new feather growth she naturally includes grooming her feet/leg long long long feathers also. There is old baby feathers and quill flakes everywhere around the house - we're constantly sweeping but this is normal as a juvenile grows into adult feathering. Our feathered Silkies can look irritated when grooming their leg/toe fluff but incoming feather growth is uncomfortable and its normal/natural for the chicken to nibble and groom their leg feathers vigorously. In our case with the Breda cockerel he chewed too hard and with the other chicken's pecking it caused bleeding. That was when we took action to paper tape his quills but we never trimmed or cut any feathers. After completely removing his paper tape he returned to normal grooming of all his new feathers including his legs/toes without causing any more raw injury to himself. Any time a chicken is molting and growing in new quills it will always be uncomfortable for them - they especially dislike handling during molt and they get irritated and uncomfortable. But once the new growth is complete they are back to their normal plucky self again. And yes, the diaper is probably adding to the discomfort but it will only be uncomfortable during molting and feather regrowth. You could opt not to use the diaper until the stickery quills become full feathers.

Hope Topaz gets through his new feather growth soon. It is very vexing to watch our chickens be uncomfortable - unfortunately molt and new quill growth is a normal part of being a chicken.

I'm intrigued buy the idea of a house chicken. I have 5 girls. They started laying just this week. This is my second flock. This time no roo. They are the sweetest chickens. I can pick them up any time pet them talk to them. My husband likes them because they are outdoor pets. He likes the chickens, but he likes that they live outside. I carried one in the other day. I wanted a selfie pic with her but left the phone in the bedroom. Well I carried her in, down the hall and into the bedroom you should have seen my cat 's eyes! Bwala a house chicken! Close as I'll ever get. They would be great house chickens.

All our chickens start out as house chickens when new (for quarantine). Once they are integrated into the outdoors they still come to the door and if we open it they will boldly come in like old times heading for the kitchen where they know the goodies are kept! The visits are brief because I don't want to be washing poopy floors but the visit makes them feel safe and special.

I'd get a kick out of that. My cat and little dog aren't up on their chicken manners.

I was so scared to bring my radbird in at first with all of my other "predatory" creatures. Turns out she ain't having any of that. She is definitely the boss lady around here
1f606.png

She is constantly beating on our 29lb standard poodle, being less than 1lb herself!!

Back
Top Bottom