people with house chickens

As promised, some more pictures of Stephen. :)
Oh my gosh he is the CUTEST little guy I've ever seen! !! I love those colors too! How adorable!
Sounds like you have good experience with chickens. I've had our backyard flock for 4 years and still keep learning about Silkies. Even in 90 degree heat when it rains, if a Silkie is soaked, the light breeze in the air brings the wind chill temperature lower so still not good to have a soaked Silkie since chicken body temp is over 100 F.
I'll definitely need to keep an eye on her then! I'm sure eventually she'll find a good buddy and get the swing of things,but I'd hate for her to get sick in the meantime!
I was so scared to bring my radbird in at first with all of my other "predatory" creatures. Turns out she ain't having any of that. She is definitely the boss lady around here
1f606.png
She is constantly beating on our 29lb standard poodle, being less than 1lb herself!!
Ok now that I need to see! Term me you can get video! Cause my duck will fight with the dog, but she certainly doesn't win lol

I'd get a kick out of that. My cat and little dog aren't up on their chicken manners.

I was so scared to bring my radbird in at first with all of my other "predatory" creatures. Turns out she ain't having any of that. She is definitely the boss lady around here
1f606.png

She is constantly beating on our 29lb standard poodle, being less than 1lb herself!!

That's one tough chicken ! :-D

Oh my gosh he is the CUTEST little guy I've ever seen! !! I love those colors too! How adorable!
I'll definitely need to keep an eye on her then! I'm sure eventually she'll find a good buddy and get the swing of things,but I'd hate for her to get sick in the meantime!
Ok now that I need to see! Term me you can get video! Cause my duck will fight with the dog, but she certainly doesn't win lol

I do have video! I'm just not sure how to post it
1f601.png
the dog actually loves it and it gets more like a play fight. I thought it was very one-sided and that the dog was the only party having any fun, until I watched Radbird go across the house or yard and instigate it
1f606.png

I know right! :lol: The only time I wish I had a diaper for him is when he decides to fall sleep on my head or chest at night. Otherwise I can deal with the tiny poops everywhere. Lol!

Oh man, I know the pain! LOL

I have a a couple of questions about diaper care. They're reusable right? How do you have a separate wash area for this? I looked at some pictures of a chicken diaper, not to dissimilar from putting on a chicken saddle. I had to use them on my first flock. These hens I have now are just the sweetest! I can see myself bringing in an injured girl (praying no injuries). Hubby would just have to get a grip.

I have a a couple of questions about diaper care. They're reusable right? How do you have a separate wash area for this? I looked at some pictures of a chicken diaper, not to dissimilar from putting on a chicken saddle. I had to use them on my first flock. These hens I have now are just the sweetest! I can see myself bringing in an injured girl (praying no injuries). Hubby would just have to get a grip.

Yes, they diapers are all reusable! Every different kind of diaper I have tried is machine washable. The diapers I use for Sunni are from hensaver.com / crazykfarms.com They have a little plastic insert to put in the poop pouch that can be removed for easy washing (I usually just use a baby wipe). But if the diaper itself ever gets dirty or just could use a wash, I just remove the plastic inserts and toss the diapers in with a load of dark t-shirts, and then hang it up to dry.

My hen is very active, so I found that the diapers from hensaver work best for her because they wrap up around her tail to prevent the diaper from slipping below her vent. Any other diapers I have tried just tend to slip down below her vent and then don't catch poop like they are supposed to. So if you have hens that are very active and love to preen, I would suggest the wrap around diapers from hensaver. I have found that these diapers seem to hold up better than others I have tried as well. But over all there are lots of people that make handmade diapers that get the job done just fine :)

Today, my Silkie and I are hanging out while I work in the dining room. I bathed her and put a diaper on her (for the first time). My dogs and cat don't mind, but my husband does. She'll have to go back out once he gets home. But for now...
wink.png

This is the coolest thing ever I wish my husband would let me bring my hen in the house she acts like a dog not a chicken lol she never leaves my side :)

Chickens are flock mentality birds and as such will cling to you as their "flockmate" if they are alone. We always keep 2 birds or more because that's their flock make-up. We keep our lone Breda house pullet with a long door mirror on the floor so she can kiss her reflection, run along the mirror to watch the "other" chicken, and sleeps next to her reflection. That way she isn't underfoot all day long. She even checks out the "other" chicken reflection on the oven door glass!

Yeah, if a chicken is injured, ill, or requires timed medication, it's imperative to keep them indoors and in a dog kennel at leat 4x4 size. The diaper saddles are reusable with disposable paper towels or napkins we use to line the plastic pouch. We wash the diaper every night because they get stinky and we dry on a hanger overnight and use another diaper the following day. We use baby shampoo to wash them and it makes them smell better after they dry.

Back
Top Bottom