people with house chickens

Hopefully I won't have to nurse an injured chicken but I will. I really loved my first flock but these 5 hens are all so affectionate. They will be coming inside if needed.

I do have video! I'm just not sure how to post it
1f601.png
the dog actually loves it and it gets more like a play fight. I thought it was very one-sided and that the dog was the only party having any fun, until I watched Radbird go across the house or yard and instigate it
1f606.png

Oh man you've gotta share that! The easiest way I've found is to post the video to youtube, then get the "embed" link from the videos youtube page and put that link in the given box when you click on the video button while you're posting here. Send me a message if you want help, it took me a while to figure it out lol =)

I have a a couple of questions about diaper care. They're reusable right? How do you have a separate wash area for this? I looked at some pictures of a chicken diaper, not to dissimilar from putting on a chicken saddle. I had to use them on my first flock. These hens I have now are just the sweetest! I can see myself bringing in an injured girl (praying no injuries). Hubby would just have to get a grip.

Yup they are all reusable! There are two different types I've found - ones with removable cups, and ones with a built in waterproof lining. It's all personal preference, but I definitely suggest using an absorbent liner (like a piece of toilet paper or a panty liner) inside every type no matter what, it just keeps things cleaner and easier to change =D

Chickens are flock mentality birds and as such will cling to you as their "flockmate" if they are alone.  We always keep 2 birds or more because that's their flock make-up.  We keep our lone Breda house pullet with a long door mirror on the floor so she can kiss her reflection, run along the mirror to watch the "other" chicken, and sleeps next to her reflection.  That way she isn't underfoot all day long.  She even checks out the "other" chicken reflection on the oven door glass!

I had a pair of serama when I first got chickens and my hen unexpectedly died! That's how I ended up with my first house fowl! I brought my little serama rooster in to be with us as his flock until I was able to get him a new lady friend. He was fantastic! But consequently I learned the importance of the"flock". It took him a while to really be ok without a chicken friend, and he was definitely happier when he got a new chicken friend!

Who all here has "permanent" house chickens?
I would like to hear more about your experience with your chicken living indoors.
I would also like to hear about your chicken learning to wear diapers.
My silkie is having a difficult time learning to wear diapers. My seramas had no trouble after a few days... not sure how to help my silkie adjust.

I have a permanent house girl.

Back
Top Bottom