people with house chickens

Did rad birds eggs somehow end up fertile??

Has anyone else who has kept a house rooster had the experience of them crowing in distress for you? Topaz has taken this up, and it is as annoying as it is amusing. Today he broke a quill on his foot, not sure how but I was in the other room and then there was this single distressed crow from the other room. There is blood spots on the little blanket he had been sitting on and he was sanding up looking so pathetic like 'mommy it hurts'.

I stopped the bleeding quickly and cleaned him and then he wanted cuddles. I feel like I am dealing with a two year old, I started putting him to bed in the large rabbit hutch and he seemed to be handling it fine the first night. Then the next night he was find but crowing like a maniac and didn't stop until me and my mom where up. Third day I realized he was missing his brooder which has nice fine shavings in it that he can flop around inn. Silly thing thought he couldn't get inside it because he moved into the big boy house. He had been perching on the edge of it but no longer jumping inside. I finally set him down inside third morning and he just fell over happily into the shavings and flopped around in them again. Silly bird.

Quote:
I used to have a house rooster. I did notice that he would crow when in distress or when he was just plain bored. Sometimes he would crow nonstop when he didn't have enough food or water, and sometimes he would crow when he was bored and wanted to go outside. And sometimes he just crow because, you know, he was a rooster. :D

Just finished reading through this entire thread from the beginning. I love the stories and pictures. Many of you seem like friends now. The current tally of our "kids" is 10 roosters, 13 hens, 24 young chickens, 6 ducks (one being a new hatchling that was hatched by a hen who rejected her so she is now in the house), 3 doves, a ferret, a frog and a tortoise. This month we are packing up the whole mini farm and moving North to the Macon, GA area from central Florida. We will have 2-3 acres on a 43 acre parcel to develop as we want to. There is currently no power or water to our little farm so we will be living a bit primitively for awhile. We have a motorhome to live in and will be relocating/rebuilding the chicken coop and pen, the greenhouse, the shop and a few other outbuildings. We will also build a paddock for the donkey we will be getting once we are up there. We are looking forward to living off the grid and developing our own food and power. I even get to have a composting toilet!

The chickens in my avatar are Big Red and Lady. Here is a picture of Agent Orange and the Three Musketeers.

The Three Musketeers were raised in the house by Pretty Girl (who is now raising 2 more young chicks) and Agent Orange is a young sebright rooster that we picked up from our local feed store. Today we picked up a white cochen rooster who is really friendly and won me over when he let me hold him and two young barred rocks who will be company for Little Bird, a young hen who we took in from a friend whose flock was picking on her because she doesn't walk very well. Little Bird and Gold and Silver are in a cage by themselves out in the yard. The other in house chicken is a little black frizzle who got injured when she was very young and has grown up in the house. The three doves are in the extra room. The white female is setting on an egg. We have 3 outside hens that are setting. Everyone gets along. The roosters each have their favorite hens and don't seem to be at all aggressive to each other. We got 4 eggs today. We will be getting 6 Serama chicks in the next week or so that will have to be kept under a heat lamp for a week or two.

We are definitely addicted to having our kids and taking good care of them. There always seems to manage to be room for more when to opportunity arises to acquire them. It is, however going to require some expert logistics to get them all moved North and settled in up there.

Just finished reading through this entire thread from the beginning. I love the stories and pictures. Many of you seem like friends now. The current tally of our "kids" is 10 roosters, 13 hens, 24 young chickens, 6 ducks (one being a new hatchling that was hatched by a hen who rejected her so she is now in the house), 3 doves, a ferret, a frog and a tortoise. This month we are packing up the whole mini farm and moving North to the Macon, GA area from central Florida. We will have 2-3 acres on a 43 acre parcel to develop as we want to. There is currently no power or water to our little farm so we will be living a bit primitively for awhile. We have a motorhome to live in and will be relocating/rebuilding the chicken coop and pen, the greenhouse, the shop and a few other outbuildings. We will also build a paddock for the donkey we will be getting once we are up there. We are looking forward to living off the grid and developing our own food and power. I even get to have a composting toilet!

The chickens in my avatar are Big Red and Lady. Here is a picture of Agent Orange and the Three Musketeers.

The Three Musketeers were raised in the house by Pretty Girl (who is now raising 2 more young chicks) and Agent Orange is a young sebright rooster that we picked up from our local feed store. Today we picked up a white cochen rooster who is really friendly and won me over when he let me hold him and two young barred rocks who will be company for Little Bird, a young hen who we took in from a friend whose flock was picking on her because she doesn't walk very well. Little Bird and Gold and Silver are in a cage by themselves out in the yard. The other in house chicken is a little black frizzle who got injured when she was very young and has grown up in the house. The three doves are in the extra room. The white female is setting on an egg. We have 3 outside hens that are setting. Everyone gets along. The roosters each have their favorite hens and don't seem to be at all aggressive to each other. We got 4 eggs today. We will be getting 6 Serama chicks in the next week or so that will have to be kept under a heat lamp for a week or two.

We are definitely addicted to having our kids and taking good care of them. There always seems to manage to be room for more when to opportunity arises to acquire them. It is, however going to require some expert logistics to get them all moved North and settled in up there.
welcome-byc.gif

Just finished reading through this entire thread from the beginning. I love the stories and pictures. Many of you seem like friends now. The current tally of our "kids" is 10 roosters, 13 hens, 24 young chickens, 6 ducks (one being a new hatchling that was hatched by a hen who rejected her so she is now in the house), 3 doves, a ferret, a frog and a tortoise. This month we are packing up the whole mini farm and moving North to the Macon, GA area from central Florida. We will have 2-3 acres on a 43 acre parcel to develop as we want to. There is currently no power or water to our little farm so we will be living a bit primitively for awhile. We have a motorhome to live in and will be relocating/rebuilding the chicken coop and pen, the greenhouse, the shop and a few other outbuildings. We will also build a paddock for the donkey we will be getting once we are up there. We are looking forward to living off the grid and developing our own food and power. I even get to have a composting toilet! The chickens in my avatar are Big Red and Lady. Here is a picture of Agent Orange and the Three Musketeers. The Three Musketeers were raised in the house by Pretty Girl (who is now raising 2 more young chicks) and Agent Orange is a young sebright rooster that we picked up from our local feed store. Today we picked up a white cochen rooster who is really friendly and won me over when he let me hold him and two young barred rocks who will be company for Little Bird, a young hen who we took in from a friend whose flock was picking on her because she doesn't walk very well. Little Bird and Gold and Silver are in a cage by themselves out in the yard. The other in house chicken is a little black frizzle who got injured when she was very young and has grown up in the house. The three doves are in the extra room. The white female is setting on an egg. We have 3 outside hens that are setting. Everyone gets along. The roosters each have their favorite hens and don't seem to be at all aggressive to each other. We got 4 eggs today. We will be getting 6 Serama chicks in the next week or so that will have to be kept under a heat lamp for a week or two. We are definitely addicted to having our kids and taking good care of them. There always seems to manage to be room for more when to opportunity arises to acquire them. It is, however going to require some expert logistics to get them all moved North and settled in up there.
Sounds like our dream! We have 3 young sons and live in a pretty urban area, but eventually we'd like more land, less house. Once the kids are grown and doing their own thing, we are going to start some serious downsizing and eventually living as off the grid as we can comfortably manage. For city folk like us, I believe a long, slow process is the way to go and our first step was chickens! Of course, they hang out in the house and watch TV with us, but we're working on that. ;) Welcome!

Last edited:
FowlOween Photo Scavenger Hunt is here for anyone interested in
winning diapers or accessories!

(Click on the FowlOween album in my signature for the hunt list)

Sadly yesterday Topaz left the world. He had to be put down because he feel and hit his poor little vaulted skull. He had seizures because of the head hit. The vet said it was a freak accident, and was very nice and let me be there with him.

Sadly yesterday Topaz left the world. He had to be put down because he feel and hit his poor little vaulted skull. He had seizures because of the head hit. The vet said it was a freak accident, and was very nice and let me be there with him.
I'm so sorry about Topaz. It is good that you have a vet who is understanding. Never the less it is still very hard to say good bye.

Back
Top Bottom