people with house chickens

My house chickens. I read every morning and they come and sit with me. Butter Butter and Oreo.

What is her breed? My husband and I were looking at her, and we have o ly had chickens a year. Is her color considered blue?
I did not know about the mirrors. Next time.I have one in sick bay I will try it.

Hi @Lisa Wood
The photos are of two different pullets. The top two photos are of the same Cuckoo Breda pullet, and the third photo is of a Blue Breda pullet. They are a rare and unique breed in that they have absolutely NO comb but only a small triangle tassle of feathers where a comb should be, they have cavernous nostrils, vulture hocks, and long leg/toe feathers. The hens average 4.5 to 5 lbs. They come in White, B/B/S (Blue/Black/Splash), Black and White Mottled, Blue and White Mottled (rare), and Cuckoo, so far. Ours have been excellent egg layers as well as a very docile gentle breed to keep around our Silkie littles. We had to re-home our larger more common dual-purpose and egg layer breeds because they were not nice toward gentler or smaller chickens in the flock. We found the lighter-weight Breda a much gentler large fowl layer to keep in the backyard -- a good gentle breed to keep in a flock mixed with Silkies, Polish, Sultans, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Cochins, Faverolles, or other gentle breeds of chickens. I think the Breda is too gentle to keep in a flock of heavier more assertive chickens like RIR, BR, Wyans, Orps, 'Lorps, Marans, Legs, etc - at least that's been our experience.

Following are more pictures of the Cuckoo and Blue Breda.

CUCKOO Breda pullet

CUCKOO Breda pullet

CUCKOO Breda pullet -- very docile around gentle Silkies

CUCKOO juvenile Breda -- no comb, small triangle crest, large vulture hocks, long feathered legs/toes

BLUE Breda pullet was a very companionable outgoing girl, very people-friendly

BLUE are probably the most striking Breda variety

Our BLUE Breda pullet wore down her vulture hocks and feathered toes from foraging in the backyard. Active foragers that stay close to home and don't wander or fly out of the yard.

For some reason only one picture posted on the last message. Here are the other 2...
smile.png

The verdict is out on her breed. She could be an Easter Egger (EE) or she could grow up to surprise you as something else. A sweet temperament is more important than what breed a house chicken is. Looks like a sweet face and the coloring is beautiful.

The verdict is out on her breed.  She could be an Easter Egger (EE) or she could grow up to surprise you as something else.  A sweet temperament is more important than what breed a house chicken is.  Looks like a sweet face and the coloring is beautiful.

Well, that will be fun....lol...I know Nothing about chicken breeds,but most people think she's an EE....so I guess we will see. But her temperament is WONDERFUL, not that I have much to compare with....I can do Anything to her, I kiss her up, I can pet her head (most of the time) I can hold her and carry her around. She is so Sweet, and smart! I know I sound like a new mom, they always think their baby is the best at everything....lol...and I am a proud mamma of a chicken, and I think she's Beautiful! And I love this website, everyone is so nice. Thank you All for the help:)

Well, that will be fun....lol...I know Nothing about chicken breeds,but most people think she's an EE....so I guess we will see. But her temperament is WONDERFUL, not that I have much to compare with....I can do Anything to her, I kiss her up, I can pet her head (most of the time) I can hold her and carry her around. She is so Sweet, and smart! I know I sound like a new mom, they always think their baby is the best at everything....lol...and I am a proud mamma of a chicken, and I think she's Beautiful! And I love this website, everyone is so nice. Thank you All for the help:)

If you are going to pick her up and carry her around a lot, may I suggest you use the "judge's hold" to pick her up to prevent holding her reproductive sides. Even roos are held in the "judge's hold" at poultry shows. While a chicken is young it's good to start practicing it before they start laying eggs.

Here's a video showing the judge's hold at the beginning of the video. It's a bantam rooster but the judge's hold is good for large fowl and bantams alike:

If you are going to pick her up and carry her around a lot, may I suggest you use the "judge's hold" to pick her up to prevent holding her reproductive sides.  Even roos are held in the "judge's hold" at poultry shows.  While a chicken is young it's good to start practicing it before they start laying eggs.

Here's a video showing the judge's hold at the beginning of the video.  It's a bantam rooster but the judge's hold is good for large fowl and bantams alike:

That's the only way I've ever held a chicken....I didn't know it had a name though. Lol...but I've seen plenty of people hold them like that, and it seems to be bred into them. She's young, but that's the only way I've ever held her. Idk if it's her temperament or all chickens are like her, but she has never fought me to get free....after I'm sitting down with her I let her go, and she will perch on top of my hand or arm,but I only let her do that if I'm sitting. I'm too afraid she might lose her balance and fall. Anyways, thank you for letting me know, I definitely don't want to hurt her...:) I'm pretty attached to her after only a week! Lol...

hnbubz Welcome to this thread. Everyone that has come here is so nice.

Congrats on the soon to be baby  /img/smilies/jumpy.gif

That is pretty cool. Do you only have one? If so, were you always planning on keeping it inside? 

Some people use diapers. Some people keep them closed up most of the day like in a bathroom or some other room. Some have an indoor coop. And some of us, like me, Let our girls have free run of the whole house.

My girl comes and goes outside as she pleases. Shes like having a dog. Think of it that way. There is another thread that someone here posted about that tells you you can potty train you chick, but you have to start about 3 weeks. I aquired my Gabby at 7 months. I just go behind her with a rag and a bottle of white vinagar. And I mop the floors everyday. I know how it sounds. But trust me my house is clean.  They are so smart. They come when their called, they know the sound of the fridge door opening. Or my car coming home. 

This is an experience that not many people have allowed themselves to have. Those of us that have are the lucky ones.

Take lots of pics they grow so fast

Oh and they will perch on whatever they want. Mine sleeps on the buffet in the dining room. Some one else mentioned theirs falling asleep on the back of the couch

I know this is an OLD post, but you mentioned a thread about how to potty training your chicken. Can you tell me how to find that. Or can anyone else tell me? I'm new to this site and I'm not sure how to "find" threads.
Thank you, Jacquie

You can do it! Will it cause a divorce, having pet chick inside. I dare say, if thats all you want to make you happy, just do it! Its your house and your chick! You aren't out being a shopping addict, or demanding a new car every other year! I would say inside chick falls under "low maintenance" compared to some people.

Thank you! I have decided to keep her inside. I bought her a chicken diaper and when I get home from work at night I put it on her and she hangs out with me until I go to bed at night. When she isn't with me..she is in our spare bathroom where she has a nest box and her own little area. No this won't cause a divorce...lol! My husband is building her an indoor coop. I don't understand why people spend thousands of dollars on parrots to have a pet bird, when they could get a chicken chick for 2.00 and it will be extremely lovable and cuddly and won't bite your finger off. Other than they don't learn to talk. Plus it will provide breakfast! My Silkie follows me around the house and jumps into my lap to be cuddled like a pet dog. I think the only thing most people would need to worry about is other pets in the home that may pose a danger to the chicken. I have worked with animal rescue groups for years and we have 1 large rescue dog, 2 rescue cats, 1 current rescue bottle kitten in the house and they just look at her walking around and don't think anything of it. They are used to this nonsense. But a chicken walking around could be in danger around normal pets.

Is this thread still active? I found it while searching to see if anyone else decided to keep a chicken in the house. I would have never thought this would be me...but I brought her in temporarily because our other chickens were bullying her. But I LOVE having her in the house hanging out with me (she's better than a dog) and she is loving the house life. She loves watching tv and sitting on her towels on the couch! I really don't want to put her back outside!
And this is how I started with house chickens..LOL!!!

Thank you! I have decided to keep her inside. I bought her a chicken diaper and when I get home from work at night I put it on her and she hangs out with me until I go to bed at night. When she isn't with me..she is in our spare bathroom where she has a nest box and her own little area. No this won't cause a divorce...lol! My husband is building her an indoor coop. I don't understand why people spend thousands of dollars on parrots to have a pet bird, when they could get a chicken chick for 2.00 and it will be extremely lovable and cuddly and won't bite your finger off. Other than they don't learn to talk. Plus it will provide breakfast! My Silkie follows me around the house and jumps into my lap to be cuddled like a pet dog. I think the only thing most people would need to worry about is other pets in the home that may pose a danger to the chicken. I have worked with animal rescue groups for years and we have 1 large rescue dog, 2 rescue cats, 1 current rescue bottle kitten in the house and they just look at her walking around and don't think anything of it. They are used to this nonsense. But a chicken walking around could be in danger around normal pets.
Congrats!!! House chickens are the BEST!!!

Back
Top Bottom