people with house chickens

Oh i
Chickens are crazy that way -- liking the highest level of their coop.  I keep just one low perch in my coop so my hens have no choice but to use just the one perch.  But then, I have only 3 chickens at the moment.  Two more chickens are on order for late Spring.  Hate to sound ignorant but DH and I didn't know what BECOCKING means?  Red Hen sounds like a great chicken!
was just being funny, it's when they cluck really loud, pretty much right after they lay an egg lol

Typical day in the Lizarraga household. Nutter Butter and Oreo!

Ahhh, I love going through this thread and seeing everyone's chickens and their passion for chickens. Makes me really wanna keep some chickens indoors, at least for the night or short visits. I have 6 easter egger gals who I love to pieces and all are very social and cuddly, a few more than others. One, Rosie, LOVES cuddling and socializing with people, especially me her mama. :) I really wanna keep her and maybe another girlie indoors at night, but I dunno how or where? Would they sleep in a big dog crate if I added roost bars? They would spend their day outside roaming with the flock, but could be cuddly indoors. And maybe I can rotate them out so they all get some love? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on part time indoor chickens.

Ahhh, I love going through this thread and seeing everyone's chickens and their passion for chickens. Makes me really wanna keep some chickens indoors, at least for the night or short visits. I have 6 easter egger gals who I love to pieces and all are very social and cuddly, a few more than others. One, Rosie, LOVES cuddling and socializing with people, especially me her mama. :) I really wanna keep her and maybe another girlie indoors at night, but I dunno how or where? Would they sleep in a big dog crate if I added roost bars? They would spend their day outside roaming with the flock, but could be cuddly indoors. And maybe I can rotate them out so they all get some love? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on part time indoor chickens.
I kept my house chickens in rabbit hutch designed for indoors, we put a perch in it and even would put themselves to bed. I miss having house chickens right now I have three lovely girls outside very close to our house. They even come inside for visits and hang out on our back porch. Here is a picture of my first house chicken Pancake in it. I covered it up with towels as night so they could sleep better.

EEs are great birds. I had a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana that was very precious.

I prefer keeping chickens outdoors and sleep in their coop together. Bringing chickens inside for the night while others stay outside is disruptive - temperature/humidity changes are diverse between outdoors and indoors. Chickens are creatures of habit and rotating the habits is confusing to creatures of habit. However, during the day while chickens are active and social we allow them visits into the kitchen. Only our quarantined or injured chickens are kept indoors for recuperating in a 4x4 dog kennel and allowed free roam in the house during recuperation. But then they are released outdoors once they are well. I can see keeping a permanently disabled chicken indoors (I,e., lame, blind, etc) but healthy chickens really do better outdoors. That doesn't mean you can't open it up for visitations during the day if you want. But hey, JMHO, and each owner does their own thing.

It is so much fun having an indoor chicken, but I have always had them either outside OR inside for living arrangements. They get a routine..inside or outside and don't like the change. My outdoor girls would always come in for visits..but then always wanted back out. My 2 indoor girls on the other hand would go outside to forage, dust and sunbathe but then always wanted back inside, since that's where they each were raised. Your girls sound ADORABLE!!!! Gotta love chicken snuggles
love.gif

New to indoor chicks...mine are about 7weeks now and have ready at abt 8weeks to put them on grower feed and then 18weeks layer feed...but since they are going to be inside do they need a different kind of food because they won't get much bugs and foragin???

New to indoor chicks...mine are about 7weeks now and have ready at abt 8weeks to put them on grower feed and then 18weeks layer feed...but since they are going to be inside do they need a different kind of food because they won't get much bugs and foragin???

I usually include grit, mealworms, left over fresh veggies and treats. Anyone else have suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom