people with house chickens

Lost my battle trying to raise rare Blue Breda pullets -- lost one the first week and managed to raise the 2nd one to 6-months. I'll try Blue Breda again in future but my immediate need is for layers since I have only one laying Cuckoo Breda hen at the moment. So I ordered 3 Dominique pullet chicks from my local feed store since no one has older Dom pullets available this time of year. Wish me luck raising these baby chicks. I love Doms because they are non-combative, lighterweight, and outgoing friendly like Breda are. But I've got to keep these babies indoors until they're ready to go outside.
View attachment 1104284 View attachment 1104285 View attachment 1104286 View attachment 1104287
So sorry you lost your pullets:hugsYour new babies are adorable!!!! I love the pool brooder set up!

IMG_0217.JPG
One of my 3 house chickens.

Where do they poop? I have chicken droppings all over my driveway, front walk, and deck when they sneak up there. I would think there'd be poop all over the house

People do different things that works for them when keeping house pets.

Chickens poop about every 15-20 minutes so we confine our juveniles to kitchen tile floors where it's a bit easier to wipe up right away. We once used diapers on our earlier chickens but I didn't like the poop irritating their vent area. Diapers should not be used all day IMO for that reason. And when changing diapers we baby shampoo'd the vent feathers, blow-dried the feathers, before putting on another clean chicken diaper.

Our last young juveniles would stay by the mirror on the floor where their food and water dishes were and then we used bath towels to cover the runner rug, and used long strips of large cardboard boxes to block off the doorway to other rooms. They were very good about spending the day talking to the "other" chicken in their reflection.

DSCN7508.JPG
DSCN8105.JPG

You are a very devoted chicken owner. God bless! I just enjoy the crap out of watching mine flock around the yard! My neighbors were surprisingly pleased also. I just can't fathom keeping them inside. But, to each, their own. Keep up the good work!

You are a very devoted chicken owner. God bless! I just enjoy the crap out of watching mine flock around the yard! My neighbors were surprisingly pleased also. I just can't fathom keeping them inside. But, to each, their own. Keep up the good work!
I LOVE MY house chickens!!!! They get their fair share of out door time too...but they rule the roost...ummm house...LOL!
20170813_084037.jpg

My Dom chicks are almost a month-&-a-half-old.

Baby Dominiques in kiddie pool brooder - Aug 4th:
DSCN8248.JPG
DSCN8253.JPG

A little over 5 weeks old now - gangly little dinosaurs. Very outgoing pesty friendly little breed. I'm constantly cleaning the tile floor but they don't fit in the kiddie pool very well and I don't have the heart to cage them up in a dog kennel. Waiting for them to get to two-months-old so we can put them outdoors overnight.
DSCN8316.JPG

My Dom chicks are almost a month-&-a-half-old.

Baby Dominiques in kiddie pool brooder - Aug 4th:
View attachment 1130568 View attachment 1130569

A little over 5 weeks old now - gangly little dinosaurs. Very outgoing pesty friendly little breed. I'm constantly cleaning the tile floor but they don't fit in the kiddie pool very well and I don't have the heart to cage them up in a dog kennel. Waiting for them to get to two-months-old so we can put them outdoors overnight.
View attachment 1130572
ADORABLE pic of these 3!

Back
Top Bottom