people with house chickens

Pics
I LOVE that there are so many people with House Chickens. I have a 2 moth old Polish Bantam that will not be moving to the outside coop of "big girls". She ( I hope she is a "she") had a friend (a cochin bantam) who was killed by my bad dog Lily. We got her some friends to live with in her brooder, but they are standard sized since it was too difficult to find bantams her size quickly. "Billie" however doesn't spend much time with them outside of the brooder, as her fab hairdo makes it hard for her to see where they are going. On Sunday she stumbled into the swimming pool and we were lucky to see her "paddling" around. She got water in her lungs and wheezed for hours. I will be putting up a small play run for her in the yard that will keep her in the grass while she plays during the day, but in the evening I intend for her to live in the house with us. I'm still working on her permanent indoor residence, so if anyone has suggestions please let me know. My biggest fear is Lily (the innocent looking 3# dog in my avatar) who has started killing chicks. I'm afraid Billie might not grow big enough to defend herself. Does anyone else have an indoor chicken and a dog problem? How do you deal with it?

Chickentales, love that pic! Too funny.
lol.png

chicks&chiuahuas, soory no suggestions here..
idunno.gif
Just my chicken and a few fish
wink.png
Good luck though
fl.gif

I've been away for two weeks visiting friends and relatives. My son looked after the chickens and Lulu, my lame part-time house chicken while I was away. Lulu had learned to lay her egg in the garage instead of the kitchen closet before I left so I felt able to go and leave her. She has also been spending most of the time outside (her choice) this spring.

I had previously sent pics and emails to friends and family about Lulu. Everyone I visited asked about her and wanted more Lulu stories. My one cousin calls me Lulu's mom.

I talked to my son every few days and all was going well until lately. He said Lulu was acting strange. She just sat outside the garage and didn't go digging in the flower beds, etc. She wasn't eating as much as usual and also not laying as regular. I was concerned and left extra early this morning so I could get home earlier. We cuddled alot and I carried her around the yard while I checked it out. She had a nap on my lap and we talked alot. My DH says I'm the only one that Lulu talks to the most. I think she missed me as much as I missed her. She spent most of the time in the house with me today and seems fine.

She is my little sweetie.
love.gif
love.gif

A little late in the advice column but I will throw mine in the basket.

My sister just came to the state today to visit. She and her daughters were a little ...wierded out by the fact that not only do I have 2 house chickens but I have several other birds with full flight privileges. My niece said I was "weird". You know what I did?? Grinned and said "Perhaps". And then noted that one of my chicks had a "flaming homemade diaper" and giggled.
I have had some people tell me " I don't care what you say, they stink". To that..I grin and say "come on over to my house and see if you smell anything"

Some people have dogs, other people have cats, rats, birds, hell...snakes and lizards. Why not chickens I say? Just like a dog or a cat..if you don't take care of them the way they are supposed to then they will smell. That is the same thing with my chickens. Personally I think my chickens smell less than having a cat!

I love my family to death but the fact is, if they have a problem with my pets that badly then they don't need to come into my home. This is MY home. I pay the bills and I am not going to let someone, not even my mother, dictate what I have in my home. I love my friends to death but the fact is, I am who I am which is a person that loves unorthodox pets. I at one point had an opossum that lived in my home as a pet. Cleanest animal I have ever taken care of. Did I get mumbles and ewwws? You bet I did! But any "friend" of mine will love me for me and that includes all my weird animal interests. It is one of my biggest passions in life and I am not hurting anyone with it. If anything I am educating my daughter on different types of animals as well as other people that show interest in it and ask questions.

If someone wants to ask me questions about how it works out then I will gladly tell them everything from the pros and cons of keeping a chicken in doors. But if someone frowns upon it they have 2 options. 1. Ignore the situation and don't talk negatively about my animals (seriously there are a million other things people can talk about besides pets lol) or 2. If it is that big of a deal that they can't respect my lifestyle (and yes, I do think owning pets is such a serious thing to justify calling it a lifestyle) then they don't need to be involved in the situation.

Perhaps that is a little harsh but that is just how I see it. Explain your situation, tell them that having an indoor chicken brings you a lot of joy and leave it at that. It is up to the other person to be mature about the situation or not.

Quote:

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I think she's the bees knees
love.gif

I heard her first "cluck" today
love.gif
She's growing up
love.gif
D.gif

Jkioneil, I love your avatar
smile.png
What a lucky puppy to get all that chick love
wink.png

Aww, jojo. I'm glad your chicken has you back, that is too cute.
smile.png

People mention stinky chickens and their poo. I really don't think they stink very much - at least mine don't. I also don't notice an odor when Lulu spends time indoors and leaves her deposits. (My DH calls this eating seeds, bugs, etc and leaving them in nice neat piles)I pick them up as soon as I notice them and haven't notice a bad smell. I can usually smell things others can't but haven't noticed much odor with my chickies.

Back
Top Bottom