people with house chickens

Pics
spook: It's something to be aware of, but don't panic. Just practice good flock management and as always get your regular medical checkups and monitor your health.
smile.png

mylittlechickpea: Augh mushrooms! I would be so startled!

That's horrible that the landlord was such a dirtbag about it. I have heard of people even having to bulldoze and *burn* houses that are infected with mold, because they're so dangerous to just about anyone who would move in and nearly unfixable once the problem has gotten to a certain point (particularly the underlying cause of the moisture allowing the mold to grow). Hopefully your reaction was limited to mold and will never expand to birds. Usually the triggers are pretty specific.

t4dbirds: You should see our HEPA filters when we change them. We do so on the recommended schedule. They start out black, and at the time of change are literally CAKED in white! When I cuddle ChuChu and I'm wearing a black shirt, I end up with an African-grey-shaped white print on the front of my shirt. XD And my fingers get all dusty from scritching her.

We have two different brands -- Hamilton Beach and Nikken. They both work great. The Hamilton Beach seem great and are cheaper than the Nikken. You just need to look at how many square feet you want to cover, whatever brand you get.

iluvcks: Sounds like quite an exciting day. I love your chicken-chart idea. XD

I agree vel, I don't take it as a panic, because I've owned canaries, parrot, and brooded many chicks. All I can say is they all have their dirty little secrets. The canaries will bathe daily so not as much dust...lots of flicks of fruit and veggies that their eating! Little buggers!
I wish I could have a house chicken, but it has just never worked out that way. Below is one of the girls I almost kept inside, except I thought of the dishes first! Family heirloom!!! (giggle)

9241_100_6055.jpg

Also, none of the folks that I know that have this condition of "allergy" type lungs ever kept an inside bird, only when brooding. So its just another one of those "Be aware, not, Beware". I'm glad to hear of the opinions of you all.

Quote:
I don't know Spook, looks to me like she fits in with the Heirloom's!
wink.png
big_smile.png
She's looks very cute and comfortable there almost like part of the decor lol. Didn't people have porcelain chickens with their dish sets way back when?(i'm sure some still do). Mine don't sit still long enough, they are constantly chasing each other across the floor and jumping over each other. I'm glad neither flies very well, or I'd have lots of stuff knocked over!

Last edited:
Yay, diapers!!!
big_smile.png
Chickpea and I got some diapers in the mail today from PinkieSue, I couldn't be happier, and Chickpea couldn't be more upset, lol.
lol.png
I'm starting to feel bad for her, she's been going backwards for a couple hours now... I don't know what to do! I've held her, loved her, talked to her, treats, checked on the elastic to make sure it's not to tight, and she's just a very upset chicken.. 'Nuff said... And suggestions aside from letting her wave her naked fuzzy butt run all about??
idunno.gif
th.gif
fl.gif

btw, Spook, very cute!!

MDA was here this morning. It said the chickens, coop, yard, and operation look awsome. We are waiting for our letter from him, should have it in a couple days. But we are following the GAAMP to the letter...which makes us a farm baby...which means we are protected under the RTFA. Which mean my home town can take a flying leap.
woot.gif

Hopefully they will decide to back down. But if they don't we are confident that we will win and be able to keep everything just the way it is.
clap.gif

That is great news, I'm so glad you will get to have your birds, its a way of life and a decent one!
The bird in the dish cupboard is a bantam Cochin, she finally made it out to the coop with the big "little" girls.
But, mind you after mentioning about the dust etc, I didn't mean to sound like a prude...now we have 3 booted D'uucles in the living room so to calm them down! And tonight a ailing turkey poult and a sibling for warmth and company. So I'm not afraid of chicken dust...
As for diapers, my other half would certainly have me committed!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom