people with house chickens

Pics
I have black australorps and buff orphingtons. (Amoung others.) The orphington and autralorp personalities and body types are almost identical. I think you will be very happy with an australorp. And there is not much prettier than those satin black feathers in the sunlight. They take on purple and green iradesant hues. Just beautiful.
smile.png

oh thanks! i am so excited. Sounds like we found a great pick! it was so sad we called today to see if we could pick one up and they kill them all on thursdays so we have to go next week before thursday. wish we could have gone yesterday. poor things wish more people wanted Roos
hit.gif

Last edited:
She's still pretty small now, well even though she's a monster compared to when I got her.. But I change her every couple hours and she seems good, and her bum usually stays pretty clean, if it does get dirty I just clean her up with a wet paper towel and let her run around naked til her butt dries and then put it back on, lol.

I guess I cut the elastic too long on the front so hopefully she can wear the zebra print for a while and I can just change the saftey pin on the elastic
smile.png
Zebras are "our" favorite animal. My dog back home has a zebra collar too that she just loves so much
roll.png

For this one I made a pouch liner out of one of those hypo-alergenic pillow cases from walmart that is water resistant with a strip of velcro to hold it in place, and I'm working on another couple liners so I can just change that out real quick instead of fussing with the panty liners I was using before. And then I can just throw them in the washer
big_smile.png
I'm hoping hubby doesn't think I'm crazy when he gets home. So excited he's home so soon!!!
love.gif
Haven't seen him for two months
wee.gif

Next time I change her I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the inside operation. Talk to PinkieSue if you need help with your diapers, she sells them. And they're stinkin' cute too. I'm still a little upset that Chickpea doens't like it... I had to modify the pattern for her, I think it was the elastic on her backside that she wasn't a fan of. But her Kriket wears them just fine without a problem. To each chicken her own, I guess
wink.png

I also got some patriotic fabric so hopefully hubby will let my little Chickpea come out and watch the fireworks with us, granted he's not working... I think the navy for shut down for holidays
gig.gif

I am officially house-chickenless!
hit.gif

My little house chicken Billie was killed on Tuesday by my VERY BAD DOG Lily. Lily, who is my notorious eater of baby chicks was usually just fine with B in the house, but I never allowed them to be outside together when B would go out to forage with the "big girls". Tuesday morning Lily snuck out when the Englishman came in from watering the garden. By the time I realized she wasn't in the house, it was too late. It's been so sad without her around. Her two partners in crime Raven and Lady Gray (who are younger and still smaller than the others) had been coming in at night from time to time and would sometimes sleep in Billie's house with her so we have been letting them come in at night to watch TV with us and sleep in her house.

On the bright side, over Memorial Day weekend Little B converted one of my oldest friends into a chicken lover, and she has now decided she needs a flock of her own. I have ordered 6 girls for her that will arrive next week. The Englishman and I decided that the house isn't the same without our wacky little polish girl, so I added some new little ones for us to the order as well. On their way are a Naked Neck, a Silver Cuckoo Marans, a Blue Cochin, a Partridge Cochin, a Buff Polish, 2 Blue Polish and a Colombian Wyandotte. I didn't get any bantams this time since I don't think they would ever get big enough to deal with Lily. We'll just have a full size house chicken (or 2
wink.png
) !

ry%3D400

My Baby B, who at the time, was just SURE she was "helping" with the tent construction.

Chicks&Chihuahuas :

I am officially house-chickenless!
hit.gif

My little house chicken Billie was killed on Tuesday by my VERY BAD DOG Lily. Lily, who is my notorious eater of baby chicks was usually just fine with B in the house, but I never allowed them to be outside together when B would go out to forage with the "big girls". Tuesday morning Lily snuck out when the Englishman came in from watering the garden. By the time I realized she wasn't in the house, it was too late. It's been so sad without her around. Her two partners in crime Raven and Lady Gray (who are younger and still smaller than the others) had been coming in at night from time to time and would sometimes sleep in Billie's house with her so we have been letting them come in at night to watch TV with us and sleep in her house.

On the bright side, over Memorial Day weekend Little B converted one of my oldest friends into a chicken lover, and she has now decided she needs a flock of her own. I have ordered 6 girls for her that will arrive next week. The Englishman and I decided that the house isn't the same without our wacky little polish girl, so I added some new little ones for us to the order as well. On their way are a Naked Neck, a Silver Cuckoo Marans, a Blue Cochin, a Partridge Cochin, a Buff Polish, 2 Blue Polish and a Colombian Wyandotte. I didn't get any bantams this time since I don't think they would ever get big enough to deal with Lily. We'll just have a full size house chicken (or 2
wink.png
) !

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...Llq5ZM2QPbz4M/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/
My Baby B, who at the time, was just SURE she was "helping" with the tent construction.

sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the info and quick response, I got caught up in finals and couldn't get back here. I never thought of just using a stand. I'd have thought they wouldn't stay up on one of those during the night. I know my grey jumps down off his stand and cruises the house if I'm not paying attention. I wonder, will they still let me sleep in? I'll have to work it to be able to add a cover so they don't see the sun LOL.

Chicks&Chihauhaus, I'm very sorry for the loss of your little house chicken.

just got caught up on the post. I am still working on DH allowing a house chicken or 2 but right now everything is going great chickens doing great, garden going crazy so hope every one has a great weekend.

Back
Top Bottom