people with house chickens

Pics
Yea, definately everything is waaaay more expensive over here, honestly the only perk of living off base is not worrying about Chickpea.. He's close to work, we live half a mile from the commisary and exchange, the nex gas port... I don't mind my drive to work. The only one o my neighbors I'm worrying about turning me in is leaving soon. How soon? I wish it was tomorrow but I'm not that lucky..
wink.png

My hubby said he thinks Wal Mart should be half price here because China is half the distance, so shipping should be less, lol.

Back in New York the second place we lived was oh so nice and cozy, great land lord and was only $650 a month
big_smile.png
It seems here 650 will get you a small little room in someone elses small little house..

So I think she might just be my dirty little secret a while longer, and hey, if I get found out maybe you can 9 hens, ha. She's very sweet I got here from Asagi Hatchery eight weeks ago on Friday
love.gif
I think I should make her a cake

I just wish she'd learn to kill some roaches, lol.. I had a HUGE flying one somehow make it in the other night...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358070

Cutest... Chicken... Ever...

She chased a little gnat around the house for like 5 minutes.. Got bored with it, it came back around and she saw it. She just hopped like two inches into the air and gulped it
love.gif

Quote:
LOL, mine eyed on for a few minutes tried to get it and decided it wasn't what she wanted and walked off
roll.png
Chics are so much fun to watch. Mine are so playful chasing and butting at each other. I hope they stay this playful when they grow into adulthood!

Well Gabby is outside and now there are three others in the house. They have bumblefoot, and fevers of 106. A chickens temp is supossed to be between 102 and 103. All are on Sulfa. I had to remove the black scap and core and now the chickens are running around the house with ointment,gauze and pink self sticky tape on their feet. Dressing changes daily and diareaha from the fevers are making for constant cleaning. All the girls are big girls. Two cochins Eva, and Tillie, and A buff Orphington named Ruby. Took Ruby to the vet Wednesday. ( the cochins just started showing signs last night) She got a penicillian shot there and I had to give her another one on Friday. Now the all three will probably need penicillian, I am thinking. I will call the vet on Monday but I think he is going on vacation. He is the only vet within 50 miles that I could find that sees and has experience with chickens.

Life on the farm...whoo hoo
he.gif

Last edited:
Wow, thats a lot to deal with iluvcks. I'm praying for your chicies to get better soon!

I ordered diapers for my two. Hopefully they will be here soon, all this clean up is driving me bonkers! Seems like the more I pickup the more there is LOL. My sis found a nice wooden shipping container that will work as a shelter for them to roam in the backyard and not be noticed. They will still come in at night and mostly indoors during the winter. But at least they will have somewhere to roam while I'm at school or work
big_smile.png
Now I'll just have to show them that worms are in the ground not just the refrige
smile.png

Last edited:
Eeek, Iluvcks. I hope they recover quickly!

t4: What diapers did you go with? What are everyone's favorite diapers (I know some folks here sell them and there are various others who make them), or do you prefer to make them yourself?

Oh, no! Iluvcks, I hope your chickies get well soon, and it isn't too serious. Hopefully your vet was able to help you out before he left, or someone was in the office. I didn't know chickens get bumblefoot. I have seen a lot of posts about ducks, but didn't know it was chickens also. Eek! Hope you tlc is the trick.
hugs.gif

t4dbirds, I hope your diapers work out. I'm not sure if you'd seen all my posting about trying to make them and finally I received some from PinkieSue, and Chickpea hated it!! I felt so bad, but I think it was the elastic that went around her backside that she wasn't a fan of, no matter hwo loose it was, she wouldn't have it.. So I modified the pattern to kind of scoop around her tail but it's too big now and ill fitting even with safety pins so i'm waiting for her to grow into it..
roll.png
Which isn't too bad now, hubby is home and banished her to the back yard anyways so nothing in the house to clean up now, lol.

I guess there were a few spots of the cecal poo that I hadn't quite gotten up out of the carpet before he got home, and when he saw a poo not even make it into the diaper that was that and she's been outside since Saturday.. Poor thing
hit.gif
Although she seems happy out there. It was super windy last night though and hubby actually got worried about her, aww, and said as long she is wearing the diaper and he doesn't see a poo she can come in. Win! So I'm waiting for her to grow just a little bit more and try the diaper on again, hopefully it fit like a glove
fl.gif

Just to let you all know. Feet are healed
big_smile.png
Fevers have broke
big_smile.png
Will continue sulfa for a couple more days then they will be returned to the flock 5 days later. We want no mixups on which egss are medicated
sickbyc.gif

On another note... I have two very broody cochins. My friend is bring me 4 ameracuna eggs tomorrow for them to sit on. How exiciting. All they want to do is be a mamma.
jumpy.gif

My letter to the township went out yesterday. Certified. They would have gotten it today.

My attorney advised me to go ask for a permit to sell eggs yesterday, so I did. Zoning and Ordinances refused. They said they would give me a permit for selling produce but not eggs. I asked him three times if he was sure.

He is an idiot. MDA says agriculture is agriculture is agriculture. You CANNOT do one and not another. Stupid, stupid man. So sad really. The blind are leading him and he just follows like a starved puppy.

He said its so sad, that we are very nice people but that this is going to end up in court. Havent even recieved my letter, 30 days is not up and they have already decided to crusify me, and the method they will use.

A person could learn to hate the Government.

Back
Top Bottom