people with house chickens

Pics
I am SOOOOOO glad you get to keep your baby!!!!! I know how much she can mean to you. How bad it would have broken your heart to give her up. Now that you are keeping her, you can go look for designer diapers in camo!
big_smile.png

mylittlechickpea: Glad to hear the chic is back in the house
smile.png
. I'm still waiting for diapers to arrive. I figure it will take some time for them to get used to them; but also hoping since they are so young it will be easier! My biggest issue is the cecal poo as well. That stuff is nasty and smears all over
sad.png
I have sheets down on about everything and have to do lots of laundry. Not my idea of fun but until diapers arrive, guess I'm stuck
roll.png
I hope they fit ok, my girls are very fluffy, especially in the tail area!

iluvcks: glad to hear your girls are doing better! A permit to sell produce but not eggs? that's just silly, why can't you sell eggs? If they allow you to have the chickens and sell produce, I don't get it about no eggs? Well best of luck to you, i'll be praying they let you sell your eggs. Hmmmm, how about selling the egg carton and it comes with 12 free eggs??? <ggggg>

Great thread!!!
pop.gif

Although I don't have any full-time house chickens ( I have a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever...sharing her space with chickens would NOT go over well...
cool.png
) I still wanted to jump in the conversation (if that's ok)
hide.gif

All of my chicks have always been brooded in the house (in my sunroom) and this year we even brooded some ducks in here.... (my daughter even took a bath with the ducklings once or twice when they were teeny-tiny little fluff-balls) Whenever one of my chickens gets hurt, I always bring them in the house "hospital" to recover. My girlfriends think I'm nuts. That's ok with me.
big_smile.png

Last year my flock was attacked by a pair of bald eagles, and the chickens jumped into the lake (for whatever reason...) My hubby fished them all out with a net and we sat up all night with the hens wrapped in blankets cuddling them to warm them up. I suppose when you've hand raised something from birth you just can't help but get attached to it
love.gif
I adore my chickens, and spend tons of time out with them every day!!

Welcome Andrea,

Probably why I would never do well on a real farm. I wouldn't want any of my 'pets' to go off for food lol. As a child my mother brought in all types of wildlife that was hurt and needed saved. On the other hand my dad brought home all kinds of snakes, just for fun
big_smile.png

Now if I could just keep my girls out of the cords and electrical floor strips
sad.png

Well, Lulu and I are heading out on a road trip tomorrow.
yippiechickie.gif
Last time I left for almost 2 weeks my DS looked after the chickens. He does a good job except Lulu needs her cuddling, etc.
hugs.gif
By the time I got home, she was just laying outside the garage - not doing anything and not even eating alot.
hu.gif
I really have her spoiled rotten because she always "helps" me weed, etc and she gets all the bugs and worms.
D.gif
She can't scratch very good because of her lame leg so I really don't mind digging for her. She also likes to come in and cuddle on my lap on the couch before she goes to bed.
hugs.gif
Last night I was extra busy and although we dug in the yard together we didn't cuddle before bed.
hide.gif
She sleeps in her box in the garage but last night I went out at dusk and she was laying on the top step by the back door.
barnie.gif
She must have decided that she needed her cuddling and wasn't going to bed without it.
rant.gif

Anyway, back to the road trip. My 80 year old aunt fell down the stairs and is in the hospital with a broken collarbone and two fractured vertebra.
hit.gif
I am going to spend some time with her because she is one of my favorite people in the world.
love.gif
I decided to take Lulu since I will be staying at my SIL acreage. I got a dog carrier for her to ride in. I am doing the trip in two 6+ hours days because I think it would be too hard on us to do it all in one stretch. I am keeping the carrier on the front passenger seat so I can direct the air at Lulu so she won't get so hot. I figure I'll stop every couple of hours so we can stretch our legs.
wee.gif

There is an wire enclosure at my SIL so Lulu will be safe while I'm at the hospital. It should be a challenge for both of us but I hate to think about her moping here at home.

Wish us luck and I'll write about the trip on my return in a week or two.
frow.gif

Oh yes, I forgot my BIL said he has dibs on Lulu's first egg at their place. He said fresh from the chicken to the pan.
gig.gif

Sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope she recovers ok.

I'd love to see pictures of you stopping at rest stops with you and Lulu stretching your legs... Of the other people that is. That would be funny!! Have a safe trip!!

JoJo, have a safe trip, and I hope Lulu stays safe and cool in the front passenger seat
tongue.png
How cute is that. I think about taking Chickpea for rides, but my jeep doesn't have doors, lol. I think it'd scare the ba-jeesuz out of her more than anything
roll.png

I hope your aunties has a quick and well recovery. I know how hard it can be, but being in the hospital I hope she's getting all the care she needs. Be safe!

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody. Chickpea has adapted to her life in the backyard quite well. It's not a big yard, and I noticed she's not going through food as quickly, whenever I go out there she's eating my weeds. And she likes to peck at the slugs, maybe when she's bigger she'll actually eat one
smile.png
The only thing I worry about is the wild birds. There's a black cardinal looking thing and a dove that like to come over. I'm sure she enjoys there company, but I don't want her to get ill from them..
hmm.png
And we don't have any predators here so that certainly takes a load off my mind. I have not seen seen a mongoose anywhere near our neighborhood, and just occasionally a neighbors cat will be out.. Other than the above mentioned, she is one safe happy chickie, and when I get our place cleaned up a little from the intial weekend of hubby's return and trashing the house she can come back in
love.gif

So I have finally joined the club! I have my very own house chicken. Although it is kinda sad how it happened and I would rather it not have happened. You see, one day I took all 24 outside to play, they were only 3 weeks old at the time. I took them out in a smallish dog crate and put them in a wire play pen outside. Well, they didn't like it very much and 24 was just too much for me to handle by myself so I packed them all back up in the crate and I was taking them inside. Well they were nervous and had their heads sticking out. At first I could keep the dogs away with no problem, but when I was trying to put them back in the brooder, Reina, my sweet husky caught a little girl's head. It scared me so bad, I though she killed it, but she just peeled the skin away from the tissue. Gross I know. I was sure she wasn't going to make it, but I had to try. I kept her separate, in the dog crate, cleaned her wound a few times a day and wrapped it with gauze and vet wrap. At first she would just lay there, not get up or eat or drink. Then the next day she would sit up and look around. By the third day she was up and running, eating and drinking. Since she still can't go in the coop with the other girls, she is staying inside. Once all of her feathers grow back, we will "try" to reintroduce her to the other girls. But because it might take a long time and the others may not accept her, she will probably just stay inside with me. I think she is an Auracana/ee whatever you want to call it. But her legs are much darker than the other one I have. She is so pretty, partridge. She has become very friendly with me. She still gets nervous when I stick my hand in the crate, but she loves to be near me. In this picture, she was sitting on my chest and pecking my freckles. Oh but yesterday, she scared me again. Some how she squeezed through the bars of the crate and flew/fell down off of the dresser and hid under my bed. I went inside to check on her and all 3 dogs charged the door. she slipped out the door and ran into the kitchen with Maddie, a dachshund right behind her. Praise the Lord for short legs and fat dogs because she didn't catch her. I've named her Casi, which means Almost in Spanish. She's so cute and I can't wait to see her all grown up. Please ignore the pajamas and double chin, I was looking down at her.

49965_new_image.jpg

Welcome to the group Excitedfor. Sorry to hear about your girls troubles but very glad she's going to be ok! I'm amazed at how much I actually enjoy having my two chics running around the house. Every time my mom is over and asks when they are going outside I get teary eyed at the thought. Though they will have a play area for during the day. whenever my sister gets around to it LOL

Just got a notice that diapers are on the way!! Hopefully they will fit and work ok as my girls are so fluffy and still young and maybe still growing... I say maybe because they are banties and only about 2lbs each if that LOL but boy they are fluffy. I can't wait to not have to constantly chase them around with toilet paper and wet wipes
lol.png
I'll keep you all posted!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats the problem they are still saying we cant keep the chickens. The board of Trustees meets in about two weeks. They will decide then whether or not they want to take us to court. We thought about charging for the carton or maybe even asking for a $3 donation to the girls food and bedding.

JoJo have a safe trip and I hope your aunt heals quickly and can come home very soon. Hospitals stink.

MLCP I am so happy that you get to keep your baby. She sounds very happy outside.

Excited2 Welcome to our little group. Its sad how you got here, but it is always good to hear of someone that cares for another being that much to care for them.

My girls are all sleeping outside now. Their feet look so good. I havent checked temps yet, but I have a feeling Ruby still has a bit of a low grade infection. She has one web that is still a bit swollen. I am going to continue meds for a couple more days. At least she hasent forgotten me. She still comes to the slider and comes to hang out with us during the day.

Me and Ruby
48744_100_0829.jpg

Chip and Ruby (she couldnt get close enough to the dog, it was really funny)
48744_100_0831.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom