people with house chickens

Pics
Well... Chickpea's out in the back now... Hubby chased her out there when he came back home from the ocean
roll.png

Although if I do "forget" to close the back door she'll wonder in.
idunno.gif

Quote:
glad you were able to find her and bring her back safely! She's probably lonely out there by herself.

She's been doing a lot better than I thought she would. Except for her jail break over the fence on Saturday. The only thing I worry now is the doves coming in, I don't want her to get sick. She cleared out a spot in the corner of the garden for dust bathing and sun bathing, she loves to lay out in the sun. She's been eating all my weeds, and she does chase the doves out. She'll get her feathers all ruffed up and run at them, it's funny to watch when I see it. She's got so much personality. Although, the mina birds started coming in this weekend, and I think she's a little scared of those right now. They're bigger and louder and than the doves. They scare me, lol. I've resumed my work on the rabbit hutch again so maybe sometime soon, we can bring one home
smile.png
It's elevated and I was thinking of closing up the bottom and making it into a double decker, so I can close her up for the night, or at the very least put in a nest box so when she starts laying she's got a place. But this thing definately needs some tcl. I gave the rabbit away to someone who knew what they were doing acouple months ago
sad.png
I was feeling overwhelmed and sorry for the poor thing. And when I started cleaning the hutch it didn't even look like the people I got it from had even hosed it out once.... The back corner was full of urine smelling hairballs, and the hardware cloth is all rusty from the urine, the woodis discolored, and you can see where this poor rabbit had been chewing EVERYTHING because I don't think it had any toys or anything. So a bleack soak is in order. I think I may replace the back wall too, it was just two of those pre-cut plywood squares from home depot, so I can go get two more..
hmm.png
I thought I might get this finshed sooner so I went out and bought all these rabbit toys, and a waterer and littler box to try and train it, and now I just need to hop to it and finish.

The hutch was $30 at a garage sale, and the rabbit came free..... Well after seeing all the work that needed to be done to make this a comfortable place for something to live I just felt bad for it, and re-homed it, the lady that took her had two other rabbits, and an empty cage for Flip-Flop. I didn't have anywhere else to put her while taking her hutch apart and re-doing it. So when all is finished and after some research of proper care I'll be making a trip down to the humane society.

I have an OEGB that seems to think she's a house chicken. Shes been a good girl and hasn't pooped inside (yet) but she's still a baby so I haven't made her a chicken diaper yet. Maybe when she's a bit older... Man my dad's gonna kill me....

Ok so I need some help. Casi is quickly outgrowing her small dog crate she has been living in. I can't leave her out of it because my dog that she shares a room with while I'm not home will eat her. Everyone is saying just to put her back in with the other chicks but she is scared of them and they are scared of her. DH said he would add a separate place for her but I think she will be even more lonely being segregated from them and being outside. At least inside she has us people to play with. What do you do? Is there a crate/cage I could get her? I was thinking about this one.

http://www.petedge.com/assets/product_images/styles/medium/ZW334_230X230.JPG

What do you think??

Hello all, Lulu and I have returned from our journey. It actually went better that I thought it would as Lulu was a good traveller after a bumpy start. (We had to stop less thatn 15 km from home - I could almost see the house across the river because Lulu spilled her water and her bed was wet. We also had to stop for construction (10 min) and because of a really smelly poo. This was all in the first 3/4 hour so I thought the trip would take forever. After that, however, we travelled two hours or so each time before a rest stop.

It was cool and rainy in Edmonton, AB so it bothered Lulu's leg and she didn't move around too much. I visited my aunt every afternoon for a week - some days she was good, others not so good. They were having trouble with her pain meds and sometimes she would make no sense at all. She is very thin and tiny and had alot of pain when they put her in the back brace (which they did anytime she was not laying flat on her back). While I visited her, we had a covered pen for Lulu so nothing would get her while I was gone.

On our way home she had her first encounter with a dog. We were spending the night with my DH's neice and her family and the neighbour's dog (a small chihuahua cross) came over to play with the boys (as usual). It spotted Lulu and the chase was on. Lulu squawked and ran/hopped/flew until I was able to catch her.

We left there with the temp being 9 C and got home to 34 C. From too cool to too hot for Lulu. What a shock to the system. She lays in the shade on damp dirt and thankfully her limp is somewhat better. I really think the weather (cold and moist) has alot to do with her limp.

Quote:
I hope your aunt is much better soon. I sounds like both the ladies in your life are having a rough time of it. I hope all is better soon. Hopefully when the weather changes Lulu will perk up a bit.

The hen I have been nursing for the past months finally died. it was really a bittersweet ending. She and I have been through a lot together. She was one of the origianal 8. a buff Orphington named Ruby. I did Penicillen shots and then sulfa for 14 days. I really thought she was better. One day it was so hot, she just laid around all day. the next morning a 7 am I found her curled up at the bottom of the coop. Her comb was blue. I held her, she squaked so I put her down next to the water. she couldnt even sit, she just fell over. I held her, petted her and talked to her untill it was over. She had a seziure then was gone at 7:10 am. I am so glad that I was able to be with her at the end. I know that she knew I was there for at least a few minutes. I am gald that what ever was wrong she is finally out of any misery. We went out and got a cute cement hen for a grave marker for my lost hens.

But where there is death there is also birth. I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs. If all goes well they should hatch around the 25th. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me, for a successful hatch and girls, lots of girls.

Last edited:
I dont have house chickens but i do have two chickens who've taken over the whole shed! my silkies are super spoiled! every day they have a blueberry bagel for breakfast, and i let them out every day to scratch around in THEIR strawberry patch! i love my babies more then anything and its so great to see others who feel the same!!!

Back
Top Bottom