PERCHES

bigmac03

Chirping
Jul 6, 2014
OK,
 I HAVE 21-22 WK OLD REDSTARS THAT HAVE JUST STARTED TO LAY RIGHT NOW THEY ARE STARTING TO LAY ON THE GROUND MY NESTING BOXES ARE APROX. 2 1/2 FT OFF THE GROUND I HAVE HAY AND CERAMIC EGGS IN THEM AND THEY ARE NOT LAYING IN THEM THEY ARE APROX 12X12 BOXES. I THINK MY PERCH ON THE FRONT IS TO CLOSE TO THE NESTING BOXES AND ITS HARD FOR THEM TO GET UP THERE. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED i have included a pic of the front of my nesting boxes

Last edited:
I THINK MY PERCH ON THE FRONT IS TO CLOSE TO THE NESTING BOXES AND ITS HARD FOR THEM TO GET UP THERE.

Something similar to this perch on this 5 gal bucket in front of you current nest boxes would serve you well. This could be easily attached to the board you have mounted on the front of your nest box. On long perch running the entire length of you nest boxes spaced about 6-8 inches away from the front of your nest box is all you would require I would think.

My nest boxes are 12"x12"x12" (plastic milk crates) with a board similar to yours and they can accommodate 2 golden comet hens at once to lay their eggs.

Last edited:
How far are the nests off the roost? They need at least 18" or more to make the leap. I think yours are big girls like mine and they need wing flap room to get up. If can't change, maybe add a ladder to the nests?

If the openings are 12 x 12 with the height of the front board, the opening may be a little small? Maybe change to a shorter one?

Sunflour
You are talking about changing to a shorter front board to make the opening to the boxes bogger right?

Ok I would try to pick one up (if they will let you) and put them in a box. That way they may not be able to get there alone but teach them to lay there. You might need to move the roost.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

I think that's not the problem, they should be able to get up there, but the current board in front of boxes may not be enough landing room?

Back
Top Bottom