Permethrin spray

Pics
Huh!
Do those other birds have the leg scales that chickens do...
I imagine they do, don't know cause I haven't had any of those other birds,
but wonder what's different?

Huh!
Do those other birds have the leg scales that chickens do...
I imagine they do, don't know cause I haven't had any of those other birds,
but wonder what's different?

Not sure about waterfowl, but pretty sure all the others do.

So I looked at my chickens and found mites and lice on them. However, if I hadn't picked up the birds and looked, I would not have noticed any problems. Is there any "normal" level of parasites? Or if I see them, I should automatically treat?

I've had chickens die because of blood loss anemia from mites, and once from lice. In a flock, some individuals may carry a much heavier infestation than others, but IMO treating everyone when any mites or lice are seen is best policy. At least, realize that infected hens are going to lay fewer eggs! Mary

So I looked at my chickens and found mites and lice on them.  However, if I hadn't picked up the birds and looked, I would not have noticed any problems.  Is there any "normal" level of parasites?  Or if I see them, I should automatically treat?

IMO...No and Yes.

I agree.

Thank you! I will add "treat the flock" to tonight's chores.

Am I supposed to repeat treatment when I use the spray? I sprayed them about a month ago. When I checked a couple days later, I didn't see any lice or mites, but they are back now. I am wondering if I didn't get enough on the birds, or what might have gone wrong.

Back
Top Bottom