Permethrin spray

Pics
Thanks for all the great advice on here, I'm a new subscriber and read through all 18 pages. I found all the info so helpful, particularly the link to Chicken Chicks article with ID photos. Before reading this thread, I started out with Poultry Protector, but was still seeing a few fast moving lice on my newest chicks. I got the Gordons 10% solution and diluted as instructed, and after 1 application, have not seen any more lice.

My 2 chicks, now 12 weeks old, did not have a bad infestation, I think I caught it early, could not see any batches of eggs at the base of feathers in the usual places nr the vent etc. However I noticed yesterday that they do both have them directly under their beaks and down their throats - none on the back of their necks. Quite significant amounts - looks like small chunks of clay cat litter attached to each feather. What happens to these? Will they just fall off as those feathers grow out, or is there a way to try and remove them?

From previous posts, I'm confused about whether they will need a repeat treatment, or as the majority of people found, one application is enough.
Thanks

My 2 chicks, now 12 weeks old, did not have a bad infestation, I think I caught it early, could not see any batches of eggs at the base of feathers in the usual places nr the vent etc. However I noticed yesterday that they do both have them directly under their beaks and down their throats - none on the back of their necks. Quite significant amounts - looks like small chunks of clay cat litter attached to each feather. What happens to these? Will they just fall off as those feathers grow out, or is there a way to try and remove them?

From previous posts, I'm confused about whether they will need a repeat treatment, or as the majority of people found, one application is enough.
Thanks

You can bathe your birds to wash off the eggs, otherwise I think you have to wait for a molt to lose the eggs.

From my experience - first, you have a different kind of lice than I did, because the lice infesting my birds laid their eggs on the feathers at the base of the tail. Second, check ALL of the birds weekly to see if the lice show up again. Each treatment removed the lice from about half the birds - I went from 12 infected birds, to 6, to 4, to 1. When I realized that there were only a few birds still infected, I quarantined them so they could not re-infect everyone else. Even with the permethrin spray, lice were a huge hassle for me to get rid of. I did not have the easy "one treatment and done" experience that others have reported.

There are many types of lice.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/237113.pdf
uc_lice_mite_1.PNG

I have a question.

I just dusted all the birds in my one coop with Carbaryl. I've been checking and I haven't seen anything on anyone. I've been listening to the discussion on Permethrin. I'm not really wanting to go through that whole job again.

But I should treat in 7 days, correct? I'm considering treating with Permethrin...it sounds not only like an easier application...but if studies have shown mites become resistant to Carbaryl, I'd like to stop that in it's tracks by using another product that will kill any possible resistant mites. I'm dealing with Northern Fowl Mites.

Do you have to spray the bird to get it to the skin? How saturated does the bird have to be?

Or should I continue to monitor and not treat? I had approximately a dozen birds with signs of mites out of 80ish birds and I marked most of them to keep an eye on them.

You can bathe your birds to wash off the eggs, otherwise I think you have to wait for a molt to lose the eggs.

From my experience - first, you have a different kind of lice than I did, because the lice infesting my birds laid their eggs on the feathers at the base of the tail. Second, check ALL of the birds weekly to see if the lice show up again. Each treatment removed the lice from about half the birds - I went from 12 infected birds, to 6, to 4, to 1. When I realized that there were only a few birds still infected, I quarantined them so they could not re-infect everyone else. Even with the permethrin spray, lice were a huge hassle for me to get rid of. I did not have the easy "one treatment and done" experience that others have reported.
Thanks for your response, I will keep checking them, of course now I've seen them its messing with my brain and I feel all itchy just reading this thread! Also interested to read the straw we've been using in the runs is ideal for mites and lice. Just sourced a big pile of wood chips from a tree surgeon friend, so switching straw for woodchips is this weekends project!

I have a question.

I just dusted all the birds in my one coop with Carbaryl. I've been checking and I haven't seen anything on anyone. I've been listening to the discussion on Permethrin. I'm not really wanting to go through that whole job again.

But I should treat in 7 days, correct? I'm considering treating with Permethrin...it sounds not only like an easier application...but if studies have shown mites become resistant to Carbaryl, I'd like to stop that in it's tracks by using another product that will kill any possible resistant mites. I'm dealing with Northern Fowl Mites.

Do you have to spray the bird to get it to the skin? How saturated does the bird have to be?

Or should I continue to monitor and not treat? I had approximately a dozen birds with signs of mites out of 80ish birds and I marked most of them to keep an eye on them.[/QUOT

I am unfamiliar with Carbaryl. I have used permethrin successfully for lice. Though I haven't seen any mites, doesn't mean they aren't there. Whether you treat again in 7 days or not would depend on the instruction of the product. I don't believe 7 days is the right time frame for permethrin as it has residual, varying according to the pest. I will say that I have read a lot of studies, and mites *can* become resistant to the Permethrin as well. What is important is not to over use it, like when it isn't needed. And maybe even switching up products since you already have another. You need to treat all your birds, not just the ones with visible symptoms. Otherwise you will end up with other infested birds. No, I wouldn't waste time monitoring and let it become an infestation. Also, it is OK to treat your roost and your lay boxes after changing bedding, even though Northern Fowl Mites live on the birds, it will get anything extra.

I personally do a squirt near the vent and at the nape of the neck and I do make sure some gets to the skin. I have also gotten it on my own skin without any harm. With my Naked Neck Turken chicks who had head lice, I soaked a cotton ball and wiped their head in order to avoid any eye contact.

I read that dusting may not be as effective because it's hard to ensure the dust penetrates all the way to the skin. A light coating is good enough. Saturation is not needed, in my experience. :fl

I have a question.

Or should I continue to monitor and not treat? I had approximately a dozen birds with signs of mites out of 80ish birds and I marked most of them to keep an eye on them.
@Folly's place , can you comment?

I thought the whole reply I typed got erased. But I see it accidentally got included to the quote part of the message... :rolleyes: It went as follows...

I am unfamiliar with Carbaryl. I have used permethrin successfully for lice. Though I haven't seen any mites, doesn't mean they aren't there. Whether you treat again in 7 days or not would depend on the instruction of the product. I don't believe 7 days is the right time frame for permethrin as it has residual, varying according to the pest. I will say that I have read a lot of studies, and mites *can* become resistant to the Permethrin as well. What is important is not to over use it, like when it isn't needed. And maybe even switching up products since you already have another. You need to treat all your birds, not just the ones with visible symptoms. Otherwise you will end up with other infested birds. No, I wouldn't waste time monitoring and let it become an infestation. Also, it is OK to treat your roost and your lay boxes after changing bedding, even though Northern Fowl Mites live on the birds, it will get anything extra.

I personally do a squirt near the vent and at the nape of the neck and I do make sure some gets to the skin. I have also gotten it on my own skin without any harm. With my Naked Neck Turken chicks who had head lice, I soaked a cotton ball and wiped their head in order to avoid any eye contact.

I read that dusting may not be as effective because it's hard to ensure the dust penetrates all the way to the skin. A light coating is good enough. Saturation is not needed, in my experience. :fl

Back
Top Bottom